Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Ep is a corporate lawyer (advocaat) based in Amsterdam. He is active in private equity and M&A with a particular focus on the financial institutions and retail- and food sector.
Ep has worked on several major transactions on behalf of Dutch insurance companies. In addition, he represents all large Dutch insurance companies in the ongoing restructuring of the Dutch Aviation Pool and has also been involved with the DSB Insurance companies.
With a (non-legal) background in the retail industry, Ep has also advised Dutch supermarket chain BV Sperwer Holding (Sperwer) on the acquisition of the Edah and SPAR retail chains, as well as on its bid for Super de Boer NV, for a total value of 514 Million Euro. In addition, he has advised BMW on its acquisition of ING Car Lease (deal value incl debt 3.5 Billion Euro). Furthermore, he also regularly advises boards of both listed and non-listed companies on corporate governance, compliance and restructuring issues, and advises clients on their outsourcing activity.
At present he is involved in several large scale investigations in relation to (alleged) fraud and corruption issues within International Companies. Norton Rose Fulbright has extensive experience in this field and is, because of its global footprint (including the US) well placed to advise Dutch companies potentially facing these issues.
Furthermore, he has been advising several important stakeholders in the bankruptcy of DSB Bank and - more recently - the nationalisation of SNS Reaal.
Ep has contributed to a wide range of Dutch financial and legal publications, including Het Financieële Dagblad, and is a frequent conference speaker, in particular on Business Ethics issues. Ep graduated in Law at the University of Leiden.
- Advocaat, qualified in the Netherlands
- Orde van Advocaten: Ep Hannema heeft in het rechtsgebiedenregister van de Nederlandse orde van advocaten de volgende rechtsgebieden geregistreerd: Ondernemingsrecht
- Representing the majority shareholders in a reverse take-over and subsequent reversed share-split of Fornix BioSciences N.V.
- Acting for the minority shareholders in a reverse take-over of a major manufacturer.
- Acting for the Netherlands’s largest voluntary food co-operative in the proposed merger of two large Dutch retail chains.
- Advising on the successful public bid by a leading manufacturer of steel goods for a leading supplier to the automotive industry. The deal value was Euro 1.2 billion.
- Advising on the restructuring and secondary offering of an Internet business listed at the Neuer Market in Frankfurt.
- Assisting the management of one of Europe’s largest packaging companies on its management buy-out by CVC and Cinven.
- Acting for a provider of development capital to EU companies in the management buy-out of a large construction company from Phillip Holzmann.
- Advising a venture capital company on the management buy-out of a major broadcasting company.
- Advising the management and shareholders of a games manufacturer on the management buy-out/buy-in by a major venture capital company.
- Advising a European capital markets enterprise on a large leveraged management buy-out.
- Advising the management on the acquisition of a stake in an appointment-scheduling product by a leading pan-European venture capital fund.
- Advising a venture capital company on investment in DCA Intestel.
- Advising a European capital markets enterprise on investments in a telecommunications company.
- Advising several investors, including a major venture capital company in its investment in a provider of digital content management and distribution services.
- Advising a major private equity fund on investments in an office supplies company and a Dutch manufacturer and seller of water transport applications.
- Advising a Dutch Ministry of Affairs agency on its establishment and its numerous investment projects.
Corporate finance transactions
- Advising the Netherlands’s largest voluntary food co-operative on its acquisition from one of the largest Dutch retail organisations of a leading supermarket chain.
- Advising a telecommunications company on its divestiture of a global technology company to a temporary employment agency.
- Assisting the Netherlands’s largest voluntary food co-operative with its acquisition of 95 retail outlets from one of the largest Dutch retail organisations.
- Assisting an international supplier of solutions to the process industry on its acquisition of a leading manufacturer of pumps from a major distribution services group.
- Advising a leading Dutch construction company on the divestiture of its subsidiaries.
- Advising a large Dutch bank regarding the acquisition of a private bank.
- Advising a German Insurance company regarding a possible acquisition of an insurance company in the Netherlands.
- Advising a large Credit Export insurer regarding its corporate/shareholder restructuring.
- Advising an insurance pool regarding its refinancing.
- Norton Rose Fulbright Ep Hannema leads the [insurance] department at Norton Rose Fulbright. He advised XL Catlin on warranty and indemnity insurance in relation to the sale and purchase agreement between Chios Beheer and Stage Vision Holding; the latter bought 60% of Stage Entertainment’s issued share capital.
Legal 500 EMEA 2016
- Ep sits as an arbitrator with the Netherlands Arbitration Institute and the Amsterdam Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Amsterdam.
- Board member of the listed public company Fornix BioSciences N.V.