Norton Rose Fulbright (Asia) LLP
Related services and key industries
Stephen is a corporate finance lawyer based in Singapore. Stephen deals with a wide range of corporate and commercial work with a focus on private company merger and acquisitions, joint venture arrangements and corporate reorganisations, with particular experience in cross-border transactional matters across the Asia Pacific region.
Stephen acts for a wide variety of clients throughout the Asia Pacific region, with a particular focus on the shipping, transport and offshore energy sectors where he has advised clients on the full range of corporates transactions including private equity investments, alternative financing structures and reorganisations. Stephen has also worked for clients in the telecommunications, insurance, commodities and payments sectors.
Stephen qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2006 and was based in London for four years prior to moving to our Singapore office in 2009, and has since worked across the Asia region.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
Shipping and offshore
- Seaspan Corporation – advised on its proposed US$200m investment into, and restructuring of, Swiber Holdings Limited.
- Shareholders of Samco Shipholding – advised on the US$325m auction sale process to sell the entire issued share capital of the company to DHT Tankers.
- Yinson Group – advised on its FPSO joint venture with the Italian shipping group Premuda, including the acquisition by the joint venture of the Premuda owned FPSO, Four Rainbow, which represented a key phase in the on-going debt restructuring of the Premuda Group.
- Yinson Group – advised on the subsequent buy out of Premuda as its JV partner.
- Sungas Holdings Ltd – acted on the negotiation and implementation of its major VLGC joint venture arrangements with Stolt-Nielsen Gas Limited, operating as Avance Gas.
- Sungas Holdings Ltd and Avance Gas Ltd – acted on the expansion of the Avance Gas joint venture VLGC fleet and the introduction of Transpetrol Shipping Ltd as a new joint venture partner.
- Rubicon Offshore Group – advised on various matters relating to the proposed sale and restructuring of their FPSO operations.
- Integra Holdings Pte Ltd – advised on all aspects of its participation in the auction sale of the business and tanker assets of Brostrom Tankers Singapore by Maersk Tankers Singapore and its related, post-acquisition joint venture arrangements with Cldn-Cobelfret SA.
- Fortress Worldwide Transportation and Infrastructure fund – advised on its debt and equity investment into a joint venture with IES Pioneer Ltd and the subsequent acquisition by the joint venture company of the Jaya Pioneer (a ROV Support Vessel) from Jaya Holdings.
- Global transportation equipment and engineering group - acted in relation to the investment by several external private equity groups into a special purpose vehicle, established to commission the construction of a semi-submersible drilling rig.
- Major US based private equity firm - advised on its proposed US$100m investment in a newly established international shipping joint venture.
- Major listed Malaysian transport and shipping company – acted on its proposed joint venture investment with a European based partner.
- Stena AB - acted on a series of SE Asian focused joint venture projects in the shipping and vessel services sectors.
- Singapore private investment fund - acted in relation to an equity placement into a special vehicle company incorporated in Cyprus for the investors' joint investment in Deepwater Drillship currently under construction in Korea.
- Major international ship management company - advised on establishing a presence in Indonesia and potential joint venture arrangements.
Oil & Marine, offshore services
- US private equity fund SCF Partners (SCF) -advised on its investment into Atlantic Navigation, a company listed on the Singapore SGX, which is an active provider of integrated offshore supply, marine logistics, ship repair, fabrication and other marine services.
- SCF - advised on its proposed acquisition of the South East Asian business of an international provider of marine and subsea support services.
- The owner of STSA Pte. Ltd. – acted on the sale by way of auction process of the offshore engineering company and its group to the National Oilwell Varco group.
- Oman National Investment Corporation SAOC - advised in relation to its acquisition of an equity stake in the fund manager EastBridge Partners and associated joint venture arrangements.
- GE Capital and others - acted in relation to the corporate aspects of a US$150 million refinancing credit facility for Singapore-based Jaya Holdings Limited which included due diligence into Jaya's fleet, charter and financing arrangements.
- Europa Capital – acted on the drafting and negotiation of a series of investment and shareholder's agreements relating to various European based investments.
- Major South East Asian conglomerate - advised on its investment into a life insurance business and its related joint venture arrangements with an international partner.
Energy and renewables
- SUSI Partners Asia- advised on its proposed investment into a wind project in Vietnam.
- Ygrene Energy – acted on the drafting and negotiation of a shareholder's agreement in respect of certain European wide investments.
- International private equity fund – acted on an ongoing basis in respect of its Philippines based geothermal energy investments including in the structuring of its investment, funding and shareholders arrangements.
Commodities, Food & Agri
- Olam International – advised on sale of 50 percent of the issued share capital of Far East Agri to Mitr Phol Sugar Corporation and associated joint venture arrangements.
- Olam International – advised on its acquisition of a 50 percent equity interest in Acacia Investment Limited, an edible oil refining and distribution business focused on East Africa.
- Carlsberg – acted on its successful consortium bid with Heineken for Scottish & Newcastle. Acting for Nestlé Philippines Inc. on the disposal of its Philippine confectionery business to Petra Foods.
- Major international private equity fund - acted on the restructuring of (and ultimate exit from) its debt and equity investments in various Philippines based retail sector investments.
Technology and payments
- Ingenico SA – advised on a series of M&A transactions involving mobile value transfer and payment systems technology companies in the SE Asia region, including in each case the negotiation of joint venture arrangements, investment agreements and sale documentation.
- DNV GL AS – advised on its investment into VEchain Global Technology, a blockchain and software development company.
- PT Garuda Maintenance Facility AERO Asia Tbk - advised on its long term, strategic alliance with Air France and KLM.
- G4S plc – acted on its £355 million acquisition of GSL, a facilities management company, and its public takeover of ArmorGroup plc.
Publication | April 4, 2018
Publication | November 2016