Richard G Lewis
Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Richard G LewisvCard
Related services and key industries
Richard Lewis is a mergers & acquisitions and private equity lawyer based in Sydney.
Richard leads our private equity practice in Australia and the Asia Pacific region.
He has been a trusted advisor to a wide range of global and Australian corporations on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, initial public offerings and other commercial transactions for almost 30 years. Over that period Richard has forged a reputation as one of Australia's leading and most experienced private equity and mergers and acquisitions lawyers.
Richard is a thought leader in the private equity and mergers & acquisitions space. He has had numerous articles published in the Australian Private Equity and Venture Capital Journal and has been a regular speaker and chairperson at conferences including at private equity and M&A master class seminars.
- LLB (Hons) Sheffield University, UK
- Solicitors Final Exams, Chester, UK
- High Court of Australia 1996
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales 1986
- Solicitor, qualified in New South Wales 1988
- Supreme Court of Victoria 1994
- Accenture - Advised global consulting group Accenture, on a number of acquisitions of cyber security businesses including the acquisition of Australian cyber security group Redcore and on various post-merger integration (PMI) matters.
- Nature's Care – Advised the Founders of Nature's Care on the sale of a majority interest in leading vitamin skin care group Nature's Care, to a Chinese consortium of SOE's/private equity funds by way of a competitive sale process in 2018. The transaction was one of the largest private equity transactions in Australia in 2018.
- Office Depot, Inc – Advised leading US office stationery group Office Depot Inc, on the sale of Office Depot's Australian and New Zealand business (Office Max) to leading US private equity group Platinum Equity.
- Summit Partners – Advised leading US private equity group Summit Partners on its first two acquisitions in Australia, the acquisition of a majority interest in a leading consumer brand and online fashion business each valued at over AU$100 million.
- Primo Group – Advised the founding family of Primo Group on the AU$700 million+ buyout of the remaining founder and the subsequent disposal of a controlling stake in the Primo Group to Affinity Private Equity.
- CHAMP – Advised Castle Harlan Australian Mezzanine Partners (CHAMP) on a number of majority investments including the leveraged buyout of Australian Pacific Paper Products.
- CHAMP Ventures – Advised Australian private equity fund CHAMP Ventures on numerous acquisitions and disposals of Australian and cross border businesses over an 8 year period.
- Direct Capital Private Equity – Advised leading New Zealand group Direct Capital on numerous acquisitions and disposals of controlling interests in Australian businesses over a 20 year period.
- Baring Private Equity Asia – Advised leading Asian Private Equity Fund BPE on its proposed acquisition of Healthe Care, the third largest private hospital operator in Australia.
- Downer EDI Group – Advised ASX listed Downer EDI Group on numerous acquisitions and disposals in the road maintenance, engineering, commercial laundries and transport sectors since 2018.
- Spotless Group – Advising Spotless on all legal aspects of its competitive sale process for the sale of the largest commercial laundry business in Australia and New Zealand.
- Independent Living Specialists (ILS) – Advised the founders of ILS on the controlling investment by US Private Equity group Riverside in ILS in 2020.
- Planit Test Management Solutions – Advised the founder of PTMS on the sale of a majority interest in the leading software testing and training business to The Growth Fund.
- ATP and USS – Advised ATP (largest pension fund in Denmark) and USS (major UK pension fund) as members of an institutional consortium of pension funds on the AU$2.3 billion take private of the ConnectEast Group.
- ATP – Advised ATP and other foreign pension funds on the acquisition of a substantial equity stake in a consortium managed by Hancock which acquired all of the assets of Forestry Plantations Queensland for AU$600 million.
- Madison Dearborn Partners – Advised leading US private equity group Madison Dearborn Partners and its investee companies on the acquisition of a number of Australian and New Zealand businesses including Sirva Group Inc, InMoment and MaritzCX between 2018 and 2020 including PMI advice.
- Modern Star – Advised the founders of educational products business Modern Star on the sale of a controlling interest in the Group to Navis for AU$200 million+.
- Archer Growth Fund – Advised Archer Growth Fund on several buyouts in Australia including its take private of Keycorp Ltd (manufacturer of smartcard and IP enabled payment terminals) and divestment of Keycorp to a European private equity fund.
- Superior Foods Group – Advised the founders of NFD Holdings and Superior Foods on the sale of a controlling interest in their food distribution businesses to Superior Foods Holdings, a new company controlled and financed by Quadrant Private Equity including PMI.
- Private Equity Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers Australia, 2015
- Leading Private Equity and M&A lawyer, Best Lawyers Australia, 2008–18
- Leading individual in M&A and private equity, Chambers Global, 2007–17
- 'Highly recommended' for private equity, Practical Law Company: Guide to Private Equity Lawyers Worldwide
Richard has had numerous articles published in the Australian Private Equity and Venture Capital Journal and other M&A publications including:
- "Vendor Due Diligence – a useful tool in the transaction process"
- "Liability in pre contractual negotiations"
- "Private Equity Exits – Part 1 – Facilitating an Exit"
- "Private Equity Exits – Part 2 – Warranties and Post Exit Liability"
- "Secondary Buy-outs"
- "Consortium Deals – Plan ahead for a Good Working Relationship"
- "Simultaneous Roll-ups"
- "Recent Developments in Private Equity"
- AVCAL Member
September 14, 2020
May 14, 2020
Norton Rose Fulbright advises Nature’s Care on trade sale in one of the largest private equity investments in Australia in 2018
April 16, 2018
Publication | October 19, 2020
Publication | July 17, 2020
Publication | July 08, 2020
Thought leadership | June 04, 2020