Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Todd Alexander’s practice includes representing developers of and investors and lenders to infrastructure and other energy-related projects, including solar, wind, hydro, LNG, RNG, biomass, biofuel, fertilizer, desalinization, mining projects and airports. He is active in the United States, Canada, Japan and Latin America. He represents both sellers and purchasers of ownership interests in power projects and biofuel facilities. He is the host of Norton Rose Fulbright's project finance themed podcast, "Currents".
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 1994
BS, University of Illinois, 1991
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
- Represented the lender to the $350 million cross-jurisdiction portfolio financing of AMP Energy's renewable energy projects in the U.S., Japan and Australia.
- Represented the lenders to $225 million letter of credit facility for 8minute Solar Energy.
- Represented the senior lenders to the 1,085 MW Niles Energy Center project in Michigan.
- Represented a syndicate of commercial banks as senior lenders to a 612 MW portfolio of wind farms in New York State, which are supported by a electricity hedges with BP.
- Represented Ullico in connection with its purchase of an interest in sPower's 1.3 GW operational fleet of renewable energy projects.
- Represented Hannon Armstrong in connection with its acquisition of a 75% interest in a 150 MW C&I solar portfolio.
- Represented the senior lenders to the 100 MW El Pelícano Solar Project in Chile.
- Representing the senior lenders to a 250 MW wind farm in the State of Nuevo Leon developed by Cubico.
- Represented AMP Capital as mezzanine lender to a 2.5 GW thermal generation portfolio owned by Invenergy.
- Represented Overseas Private Investment Corporation as senior lender to multiple wind farms in Pakistan.
- Represented Eagle Creek Renewable Energy, LLC in connection with the acquisition of North American Hydro Holdings LLC.
- Represented FMO and Proparco as mezzanine lenders to a 44 MW solar project in Peru.
- Represented LS Power in connection with the financing by commercial banks and institutional lenders of the Arlington Valley Solar project, a 127 MW photovoltaic solar project in Arizona with San Diego Gas & Electric as the offtaker.
- Represented the Carlyle Group, as senior lender to the Plainfield Renewable Energy project, a 37.5 MW biomass facility in Connecticut.
- Chambers USA, USA: Nationwide, Projects: Power & Renewables, Chambers & Partners, 2022
- Chambers USA, USA: Nationwide, Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy, Chambers & Partners, 2016, 2018 – 2022
- Chambers Global, Project finance and Renewable energy, Chambers & Partners, 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2015 and previous editions
- The Legal 500 Hall of Fame, Project Finance – Advice to Sponsors, The Legal 500, 2021
- The Legal 500 US, Leading lawyer, Energy: Renewable / Alternative, The Legal 500, 2018 – 2020
- The Legal 500 US, Hall of Fame, Energy: Renewable / Alternative Powers, The Legal 500, 2016, 2018 – 2023 and previous editions
- The Legal 500 US, Hall of Fame, Project Finance, The Legal 500, 2023
- The Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, Project finance, The Legal 500, 2016, 2018 – 2022 and previous editions
- The Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, Energy: renewable/alternative and project finance, The Legal 500, 2022
- The Legal 500 US, Energy Litigation: Oil and Gas, The Legal 500, 2021
- The Legal 500 US, Energy Transactions: Conventional Power, The Legal 500, 2016, 2018 – 2019, 2021 and previous editions
- Legal 500 Latin America, Recommended Lawyer, International Firms: Projects and energy, The Legal 500, 2017 – 2021, 2023
- 500 Leading Dealmakers in America, Lawdragon, 2021
- Private Practice Powerlist: US-Mexico, The Legal 500, 2017 – 2019
- IFLR 1000, Guide to the World’s Leading Project Finance Lawyers, United States, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, 2017 – 2021
- Who's Who Legal 100, Project finance, Who's Who Legal, Law Business Research Ltd.
- Who's Who Legal, Project finance, Law Business Research Ltd., 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2006 – 2021
- Best Lawyers - Project Finance Law, Best Lawyers, 2022 – 2023
- Expert Guides, Project Finance, Legal Media Group, 2020
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Energy Lawyers in America, Lawdragon, 2023
Mr. Alexander is a regular contributor to the firm's Project Finance NewsWire, published bimonthly.
- "Q&A: Investment in hydrogren," Financier Worldwide, March 24, 2022
- "Not Just a Pipe Dream: How Green Hydrogen Can Transform the Energy Sector," Hart Energy, March 3, 2022
- "Community Solar Gains Ground in New York," Project Finance Newswire, November 2015
- "New USDA Loan Guarantees - Biorefinery Assistance Program, BAP," Project Finance NewsWire, April 2014
- "A Lifeline For Cellulosic Ethanol Projects in California? -- Renewable Fuel Standard, RFS, Low Carbon Fuel Standard, LCFS, Cellulosic Ethanol," Project Finance NewsWire, February 2014
- "Ethanol Loses Steam, But Only in Part: Cellulosic Ethanol, Corn-Based Ethanol, Renewable Fuels Standard," Project Finance NewsWire, December 2013
- "Round table: Infrastructure & Project Finance," Corporate Livewire, December 11, 2012
- "Energy Storage: The Road Ahead (Special Update)," November 19, 2012
- Co-author, "US Cellulosic Ethanol Mandate Under Attack," Biofuels International, May 2012
- "Coal-to-Liquids Projects in the United States," Project Finance, June 2008
- "Unlocking Solar Capital LATAM 2017," SolarPlaza, Miami, FL, June 15, 2017
- "Private Power Projects in Mexico," Platts, Mexico City, Mexico, November 21, 2014
- "Cost of Capital for Mid-Market Renewable Energy," ACORE Webinar, June 18, 2014
- Approved as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), 1991
Investment in hydrogen
Publication | March 30, 2022
Currents Podcast - Ep 171: Renewable Hydrogen Update
Blog | August 23, 2021
Currents Podcast Ep 162: Solar Risk Assessment Report 2021
Blog | July 01, 2021