Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Patrick Farrell is a dispute resolution lawyer based in London.
Patrick has extensive and significant experience aviation litigation, acting primarily for aircraft owners, lessors and financiers. He also acts for airlines, airports and aviation insurers. He advises on all forms of dispute resolution - litigation, arbitration and mediation.
On regulatory matters, Patrick has worked on a wide variety of issues including challenges to regulators (CAA, Eurocontrol and the Department of Transport, etc).
Patrick has particular experience in asset finance transactions – dealing with disputes and contentious issues arising under leases including maintenance and technical matters, delivery and redelivery disputes, termination of leases and return conditions – acting for both lessors and airlines.
Patrick has conducted cases at all levels of the English courts and in domestic and international arbitration (primarily ICC and LCIA). He also works internationally and has dealt with disputes in most of the major jurisdictions in the world.
Patrick has been involved in the termination and repossession of over 500 aircraft in his career – using a wide variety of methods – and all over the world.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- qualified in England & Wales 1983
- Several lessors - in claims concerning unpaid lease rentals and other amounts including Court proceedings
- Lessors - in disputes involving return conditions and associated damages
- On aircraft and engine leasing, finance and redelivery disputes
- On disputes with airframe, engine and component OEMs under purchase contracts including in relation to future deliveries, rescheduling of delivery slots and claims under warranties and similar arrangements
- On commercial disputes against a wider variety of contractual counterparties such as MROs, airports, fuel and other suppliers and insurers
- Several lessors - in Commercial Courts for rentals, maintenance reserves, return condition costs and associated claims
- The lessor and its subsidiaries - in highly complex litigation against an Iranian airline in relation to the repossession of three Boeing 747-400s
- A French bank - in the repossession of several aircraft from Jet Airways and numerous related issues
- A range of banks - in relation to aircraft mortgage enforcement and subsequent sales (and dealing with related litigation/challenges form the borrower)
- On manufacturing disputes - pre-delivery and late delivery issues, PDP disputes, warranty and maintenance issues and related insurance claims
- Lessors - in relation to sanctions issues
- On numerous Covid-related issues - including lease renegotiations, delivery delays and return condition disputes
- Jurisdictional analyses - advising lessors and banks on jurisdictional risks on new transactions.
- Band 1, Aviation: Dispute Resolution - UK-wide, Chambers and Partners UK, 2022
"he has done and seen a lot in aviation – you can rely on the experience of his advice".
- Leading individual and Aviation Hall of Fame, The Legal 500, 2022
"outstanding Patrick Farrell leads the "formidable team" at Norton Rose Fulbright, which is noted for its "vast expertise" across commercial, dispute resolution, insurance and regulatory matters".
Air Law Group of the Royal Aeronautical Society - Former Chairman
UK ICC Commission on Air Transport - Former Chairman
Aviation Law Committee of the International Bar Association - Former Chairman
Publication | 2023
Publication | July 01, 2021