Norton Rose Fulbright (Asia) LLP
Related services and key industries
Ben Swift is a banking and finance lawyer based in Singapore. He specialises in the oil and gas industry with a particular focus on LNG.
Ben is an English-qualified lawyer with over 20 years' post-qualification experience in cross-border transactions and projects, including a number of in-house secondments. Ben has specialised knowledge of LNG, projects and cross-border M&A in the oil and gas industry, in addition to offtake and supply agreements, power projects, project financing, commercial contracts and joint ventures.
Prior to rejoining the practice in October 2017, Ben worked for international law firms based in Beijing, Yangon, Singapore, London, Dubai and Qatar. His experience covers all legal aspects of the energy business ranging from long-term LNG sales agreements, cross-border acquisitions and disposals, upstream oil and gas, offtake and supply agreements, direct agreements, power projects, shareholder agreements and commercial contracts.
- England and Wales 1999
- Advising on the development of a world-scale LNG liquefaction facility, including structuring of marketing arrangements and drafting and negotiating HOAs and long-term LNG SPAs, in addition to drafting other project related documents
- Advising Pavilion Energy on the acquisition of a portfolio of LNG supply contracts with a volume of around four million tonnes per annum of LNG from European energy utility company Iberdrola in the form of the acquisition of all of Iberdrola's long-term sale and purchase LNG contracts, together with associated regasification and gas transportation contracts, including issues relating to the transfer of all relevant contracts to Pavilion Energy
- Advising on the development of a large LNG liquefaction facility in the Asia-Pacific region, including structuring joint marketing arrangements
- Acting for an international oil and gas company on a long term LNG purchase agreement, terminal use agreement and gas sales agreement in the context of a new-build LNG import project in Africa
- Advising an incumbent gas company in Malaysia on the introduction of third party access legislation and regulations in the Malaysian gas market
- Representing an international oil and gas company on LNG MSAs as part of its trading portfolio
- Advising an international oil and gas company on LNG MSAs and long-term sales agreements from an LNG export project in the US
- Assisting a Singapore company with the purchase of regasified LNG through the Singapore LNG import terminal
- Advising a confidential client on an LNG import terminal in Pakistan
- Advising a confidential Chinese client on an LNG MSA with a major European oil and gas company
- Representing a confidential Japanese trading house on a long-term ethane sales agreement
- Advising a confidential state-owned Chinese trading company on a number of long-term LNG master sales agreements with international oil and gas companies
- Advising BP Singapore on long-term supply and offtake agreements and related security arrangements for a multi-billion dollar JAC refinery in Singapore
- Advising Merrill Lynch Commodities Ltd on a long-term coal offtake agreement from a mining project in Indonesia
- Acting for MagMinerals on a 12-year 1.2 million tons per year potash offtake and marketing agreement on the Kouilou potash project in the Republic of Congo
- Advising Sinopec on the acquisition from Repsol of a Spanish holding company holding upstream interests in two blocks in Ecuador
- Advising RH Petrogas on the acquisition of upstream interests in two neighbouring blocks in the Salawati region in West Papua, Indonesia from Pearl Energy and Lundin Petroleum for an aggregate consideration of more than US$75 million
- Advising ONGC Videsh Limited on its acquisition of a 25% interest (valued at US$750 million) in the GNPOC project in Sudan (comprising an operating company, upstream interests and pipeline and terminal assets) from Talisman Energy Inc
- Advising ONGC Videsh Limited on the acquisition of OMV's 25% interest in two oilfields in Sudan for approximately US$125 million
- Advising CNOOC Limited on its acquisition of a 12.5% interest in the BP-led Tangguh LNG project in West Papua, Indonesia
- Advising a subsidiary of CNOOC on the establishment with Fluor Corporation of a world-scale joint venture to develop, own and operate a fabrication facility in China focusing on EPC projects for the upstream oil and gas industry
- During a two-year part-time secondment to the Singapore-based subsidiary of Itochu Corporation, various matters including a long-term US$600 million crude oil off-take agreement, prepayment agreements, off-take agreements, charterparties, confidentiality agreements and general corporate matters, energy related projects and oil trading-related disputes, and producing and presenting legal training courses
- Advising AES on the financing of, and amendments to, project documents relating to a 360 MW power station in Bangladesh, including negotiations with the contractors and lenders to the project
- Advising Marubeni Europower (one of the leading IPP developers in the Middle East) during a twelve-month secondment, on various matters including a swap transaction involving share interests in two different IWPPs in the Middle East, and the preparation of bids for the Hassyan IPP in Dubai and the Az Zour North IWPP in Kuwait
- Advising PT West Point Terminal, a 95% owned subsidiary of Sinopec, on the development of an oil storage facility on Batam Island, Indonesia, including advising on financing and shareholder issues, contract tendering and EPC-related issues
- Advising Shell, during a three-month secondment, on the establishment of a multi-US$100 million downstream joint venture in Turkey.