Norton Rose Fulbright (Asia) LLP
Related services and key industries
Ian Cheong is a dual-qualified dispute resolution lawyer based in Singapore who focuses on compliance and investigations.
Ian's practice includes representing and advising companies on anti-bribery and corruption, anti-money laundering, trade sanctions, export control, and employment matters. He has experience in conducting internal and regulatory investigations on matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, UK Bribery Act, Singapore Prevention of Corruption Act, and other regional anti-bribery and anti-money laundering laws. Ian is also a certified ISO:37001 Anti-Bribery Management Systems professional. Some of the significant matters handled by Ian involve investigations in China where Mandarin language skills are required.
In addition to his experience in compliance and investigations, which often involve the life sciences and healthcare sector, Ian has represented financial institutions and corporations in complex cross-border disputes involving allegations relating to fraud, corruption, misrepresentation and undue influence. Ian has also represented various Southeast Asian corporations in ICC and UNCITRAL arbitrations seated in Singapore..
Prior to joining the firm, Ian trained and qualified at an international firm in London, before working for a Senior Counsel in Singapore. He received his law degree from the University of Oxford and was admitted as a solicitor of England and Wales in 2016. Ian is also qualified in Singapore. He is fluent in English and Mandarin Chinese.
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Advocate & Solicitor (Supreme Court of Singapore, practising under section 36E of the Legal Profession Act)
- A US-listed technology company on a significant cross-border investigation into sales employees, business partners, and third parties relating to issues of forgery, corruption and violation of policies and regulations in various countries in Asia and Europe, and representing the company before the DOJ and SEC.
- A US-based global insurance and financial services institution on an internal investigation into sales employees and senior management relating to issues of alleged bribery, corruption and improper accounting practices in Hong Kong and China.
- A US-listed pharmaceutical company in multiple cross-border internal and government investigations into alleged accounting irregularities and FCPA violations in Australia, China, India, Japan and Malaysia.
- Employees/ex-employees of two FTSE-100 corporations in respect of UK Serious Fraud Office and Financial Reporting Council investigations into allegations of accounting irregularities and/or bribery and corruption.
- Anti-Corruption Regulation, Singapore – Getting the Deal Through, 2020
- Mandarin Chinese
Publication | July 06, 2020
Publication | June 04, 2020
Publication | March 25, 2020