Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Keira Brennan has over 20 years’ experience advising in the energy and resources sectors and is recognised as one of the leading lawyers in these sectors in Queensland. She is the Australia head of our infrastructure, mining and commodities industry group and is based in Brisbane.
Keira advises energy and resources clients on strategic issues and operational requirements, including:
- multi-jurisdictional and multi-asset M&A, joint venture arrangements, organisational restructuring and asset sales
- contract drafting and negotiation, including coal offtake agreements and strategic supply agreements
- rail and port infrastructure access and pricing, including haulage agreements and access to coal export terminals.
She advises many of the key industry participants including Anglo American, Vale, Peabody Energy, Glencore and QCoal, as well as key regulator the Queensland Competition Authority.
Keira has "great commercial acumen" and "great understanding of the industry and what its drivers are" according to clients quoted in Chambers Asia Pacific 2016, and she has been recognised as a leading Energy and Natural Resources lawyer in Australia in Chambers since 2009. Keira has also been consistently voted by peers as one of Australia's best lawyers in Mining, Energy, Natural Resources, Commercial, Corporate and Construction / Infrastructure in Best Lawyers Australia, which in 2016 named her Brisbane Natural Resources "Lawyer of the Year".
Keira is an active contributor to the resources and energy sectors through her work as President of the Queensland branch of AMPLA (the Australian Energy and Resources Lawyers Association), where she has been an active member for more than 15 years.
- Supreme Court of Queensland 1993
- High Court of Australia 1995
- Advising confidential mining clients on their response to commodity price downturns, including on organisational restructuring, contract negotiations and asset sales
- Advising on the equity aspects of POSCO E&C’s joint venture participation in the $16.5bn Carmichael Coal Mine Project in Queensland, particularly in respect of the project’s $2bn greenfield standard gauge rail line
- Leading the team advising the Queensland Competition Authority (QCA) on Aurizon Network’s proposed access undertaking for the Central Queensland Coal Network, Australia’s largest coal rail network
- Advising the Stage 1 customers (which includes Glencore, Aquila, Yancoal and Wesfarmers) of the Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal on their rail access, which has included developing and advising on underwriting arrangements for a $910m expansion of the rail infrastructure.
Norton Rose Fulbright advises Linfox on acquisition of Aurizon’s Queensland intermodal business and entry into 10 year hook and pull contract
October 19, 2018
June 22, 2018
Norton Rose Fulbright advises Wirsol Energy on largest merchant financing of solar projects in Australia
December 15, 2017
Publication | June 05, 2020
Publication | 21 May 2020
Publication | April 28, 2020
Thought leadership | November 10, 2019