Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Patrick Farrell is a dispute resolution lawyer based in London where he specialises in aviation litigation – acting primarily for aircraft owners, lessors and financiers. He also acts for airlines, airports and aviation insurers.
Patrick advises on all forms of dispute resolution - litigation, arbitration and mediation.
On regulatory matters he has worked on a wide variety of issues including challenges to regulators (including the CAA, Eurocontrol and the Department of Transport).
Patrick has particular experience in asset finance transactions – dealing with disputes and contentious issues arising under leases (including maintenance and technical matters, delivery and redelivery disputes, termination of leases and return conditions) acting for both lessors and airlines.
He is one of three UK lawyers currently ranked by Chambers as a "Band 1" lawyer in UK for aviation: dispute resolution. Chambers states "he has done and seen a lot in aviation – you can rely on the experience of his advice".
Legal 500 states the "outstanding Patrick Farrell leads the "formidable team" at Norton Rose Fulbright, which is noted for its "vast expertise" across commercial, dispute resolution, insurance and regulatory matters".
His current cases involve:
Aircraft and engine leasing, finance and redelivery disputes.
Disputes with airframe, engine and component OEMs under purchase contracts including in relation to future deliveries, rescheduling of delivery slots and claims under warranties and similar arrangements.
Commercial disputes against a wider variety of contractual counterparties such as MROs, airports, fuel and other suppliers and insurers.
Patrick has conducted cases at all levels of the English courts and in domestic and international arbitration (primarily ICC and LCIA). His practice is international and has dealt with disputes in most of the major jurisdictions in the world.
Patrick has been involved in the termination and repossession of over 400 aircraft in his career – using a wide variety of methods – and all over the world.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- qualified in England & Wales 1983
- Acting for the lessor and its subsidiaries in highly complex litigation against an Iranian airline in relation to the repossession of 3 Boeing 747-400s.
- Acting for a French bank in the repossession of several aircraft from Jet Airways and numerous related issues
- Acting for several airlines on a series of disputes with a major manufacturer concerning defective aircraft, and the consequently impact on delivery schedules
- Acting for a range of banks in relation to aircraft mortgage enforcement and subsequent sales (and dealing with related litigation/challenges form the borrower)
- Advising on manufacturing disputes – pre-delivery and late delivery issues, PDP disputes, warranty and maintenance issues and related insurance claims
- Acting for lessors in relation to sanctions issues
- Currently involved in several significant aviation arbitrations (where the details are confidential)
- Dealing with numerous Covid-related issues – including lease renegotiations, delivery delays and return condition disputes
- Jurisdictional analyses – Patrick is often asked to advise lessors and banks on jurisdictional risks on new transactions.
- Chambers UK – Aviation Dispute Resolution Band 1
- Legal 500 – Leading individual and Hall of Fame: Aviation
- Patrick is a former Chairman of the Air Law Group of the Royal Aeronautical Society and of the UK ICC Commission on Air Transport, and past Chairman of the Aviation Law Committee of the International Bar Association