Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Holly Stebbing is a commercial litigation and dispute resolution lawyer based in London. Her practice focuses on disputes in the energy, infrastructure and natural resources sectors, both domestic (including UKCS) and international. She has a wide range of experience, including litigation in the Commercial Court, Technology & Construction Court, Chancery Division and appellate courts, institutional and ad hoc commercial arbitration (LCIA, ICC, SCC, LMAA, SIAC), all forms of ADR and incident response (including representing clients in the Crown Court and Coroner's Court).
Holly's clients include IOCs and NOCs, mining companies, renewable energy providers, oilfield services contractors, construction companies, utilities and petrochemical companies. She advises on all forms of commercial dispute, including licencing and concession arrangements, joint venture and shareholder disputes, construction matters, M&A litigation, decommissioning, third-party access to infrastructure, offtake and trading agreements and transportation and processing arrangements.
Holly is also a member of our 24/7 incident response team, advising clients in the aftermath of industrial accidents, with particular experience in corporate manslaughter investigations. She is BOSIET- and CA EBS-qualified to work offshore. As well as acting for clients in regulatory investigations and related litigation, she runs training sessions for board directors and in-house legal counsel on corporate and individual liability for industrial accidents.
Holly has a Masters' degree in Energy and Natural Resources Law and is one of the contributing editors to Getting the Deal Through: Energy Disputes.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales 2009
- Acting for an IOC in LCIA arbitration for post M&A breach of warranty and indemnity claims exceeding US$130m following the sale of its onshore business in a West African state.
- Assisting an NOC with LCIA arbitration for disputed variation claims exceeding US$80m brought by a drilling contractor for a drilling campaign offshore West Africa.
- Successfully represented a dual-listed gold mining company and its subsidiary in a multi-million dollar London seated arbitration claim brought against it by its earthworks and civils contractor in connection with a gold mine in West Africa. The mine owner was also awarded a substantial counterclaim and its legal costs. Following a contested challenge to jurisdiction, the mine owner's parent company was removed as a party to the arbitration.
- Acted for an NOC in ICC arbitration where a drilling contractor claimed in excess of US$100m for unpaid invoices.
- Advised a hotel chain on five parallel ICC arbitrations relating to the construction of a luxury hotel in North Africa.
- Represented a NOC in relation to arbitration proceedings brought by shipowners against the NOC, as charterer, following a piracy attack on a chartered tanker offshore West Africa.
- Advised a French utility on an LNG supply dispute with a group of sellers (which includes state owned entities) for long-term failure to supply LNG.
- Acted in contemporaneous LCIA and SCC arbitrations for a seismic services company in relation to oil field services in West Qurna, Iraq.
- Represented a European utility in a Commercial Court dispute with a former joint operating partner in relation to the provision of decommissioning security for an offshore asset in the North Sea.
- Acted for an international oil company in a High Court claim for alleged diminution in value to a multi-million pound private property caused by illegal tapping of the company's pipeline by fuel thieves.
- Advised a joint venture between Urbaser and Balfour Beatty on a claim brought in the TCC by Essex County Council under a PFI contract for the construction and operation of a mechanical and biological waste treatment plant in Essex which produces solid recovered fuel for energy generation. The case has involved parallel judicial review and TCC proceedings and a number of adjudications.
- Represented Star Energy on its high-profile dispute with Bocardo SA in relation to UK onshore drilling rights. The case reached the Supreme Court and was a test case for horizontal drilling in the UK, leading to a favourable result for Star Energy and the onshore oil and gas industry generally.
- Acting for a renewable power generator on the appeal of a decision of the Information Commissioner to the First Tier Tribunal for information requested under the Environmental Information Regulations.
- Successfully defended oil and gas investment fund International Oil and Gas Technology Ltd in a Commercial Court claim by the fund's former investment manager for wrongful termination of the investment management agreement.
- Represented an unincorporated joint venture in Commercial Court proceedings on a force majeure claim for non-delivery of natural gas from a North Sea oil and gas field.
- Assisted the owners of the CATS pipeline with a limitation claim following major damage to the CATS pipeline by a ship's anchor.
- Acting for the operator of a waste-to-energy plant in a number of ongoing adjudications relating to the composition of waste.
- Advising the O&M contractor of a waste-to-energy plant in potential adjudication proceedings against the employer for non payment of invoices.
- Acting for a multinational in police and HSE investigations following a fatality at one of its UK sites.
- Advised a multinational oil major on one of the UK's first investigations under the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007, and representing the company in a subsequent health & safety prosecution and related civil proceedings.
- Representingr a multinational in relation to Crown Court proceedings following a fatal crane incident at a steel plant in the UK.
- Advising a Nigerian independent oil company on joint operating partner insolvency issues for assets offshore Nigeria.
- Acting on third party access to infrastructure disputes in the UKCS, including under the Energy Act 2011.
Oil and Gas, The Legal 500, 2018
Mining and Minerals, The Legal 500, 2018
Commodities and Physicals, The Legal 500, 2018
Dispute Resolution, The Legal 500, 2018
International Arbitration, The Legal 500, 2018
- Co-author, "Allocation of and limitations on liability and the use of indemnities – Oil and Gas M&A handbook," Globe Law and Business - 2018
- Contributing Editor, "Getting the Deal Through – Energy Disputes 2018" Law Business Research - April 2, 2018
- Co-author, "UK Supreme Court clarifies issues on parent company liability in Lungowe v Vedanta," Norton Rose Fulbright - April 12, 2019
- Co-author, "Staying faithful: English Court's termination of North Sea operatorship makes waves," Norton Rose Fulbright - January 23, 2020
- Co-author, "UK Supreme Court ruling on parent company liability for acts of its overseas subsidiaries," Norton Rose Fulbright - February 3, 2020
- Co-author, "Heathrow ruling endangers projects globally," Norton Rose Fulbright - May 4, 2020
- Co-author, "Q&A on COVID-19-related force majeure claims," Norton Rose Fulbright - May 15, 2020
- Co-author, "UK Government publishes guidance on 'responsible contractual behaviour' applicable to all contracts impacted by COVID-19," Norton Rose Fulbright - May 15, 2020
- Co-author, "The energy market in a global pandemic," Norton Rose Fulbright - June 4, 2020
- Co-author, "The spread of force majeure in the COVID-19 crisis," Norton Rose Fulbright - June 9, 2020
- Co-author, "Energy transition," Norton Rose Fulbright - July 1, 2020
- Co-author, "UK Government updates its guidance on responsible contractual behaviour," Norton Rose Fulbright - July 10, 2020
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Global Women Petroleum and Energy Club
- Arbitration Club - Oil and Gas Branch
Blog | September 21, 2021
Blog | August 09, 2021
Publication | July 01, 2021
Publication | July 01, 2021