Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Xavier Hamel practises employment and labour law, with a particular focus on matters related to hiring, termination, labour standards, occupational health and safety, human rights and freedoms, restrictive covenants, certification and the interpretation and enforcement of individual employment contracts and collective labour agreements. Mr. Hamel represents clients before the administrative tribunals having jurisdiction in labour matters and before the civil courts. He acts as a spokesperson for institutional and private clients in the context of collective agreement renewals. He gives conferences on various topics in labour law and human resources management.
Mr. Hamel has also developed an interest in access to information and privacy law, where he represents employers before the Commission d'accès à l'information (Access to information commission). He has also gained experience in business immigration and international mobility and participates in different files regarding turnkey solutions to employers that include obtaining the required authorizations from Quebec and federal authorities to hire foreign nationals in Canada.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
LL.B., Université Laval, 2013
- Quebec 2014
- Spokesperson for the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux in relation to the negotiation of the framework agreement with the Federation of Medical Specialists of Quebec for the purposes of implementing the Health Insurance Act
- Spokesperson for the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux as part of the implementation and renewal of certain collective agreements with associations representing intermediate resources and family-type resources
- Representation of several members of employer associations as part of the challenge of the constitutional validity of shift schedules in Quebec as a result of grievances filed by members of the Fédération des employés du Préhospitalier du Québec, a file whose stakes were valued at $125 million
- Management of labour relation and employment law issues in connection with various business transactions, including the acquisition of a Quebec corporation, TeraXion, by the U.S. corporation, Indie Semiconductor, in a transaction estimated at over $200 million
- Recurrent advice to several institutional or private employers operating globally regarding all their immigration law needs in Canada
- Representation of different public and private bodies in connection with review applications before the Commission d'accès à l'information as a result of requests for access to information
- Representation of and advice to several unionized employers in the negotiation of a first collective agreement or its renewal
- Representation of various employers before the Administrative Labour Tribunal in the context of accreditation matters or complaints for prohibited practices or termination without good and sufficient cause
- Representation of various unionized employers in the context of grievance arbitration or dispute resolution process
- Quebec Bar’s Participatory Justice Award for the highest score in alternative dispute resolution processes and participatory justice (2012-2013)
- "Promouvoir la rétention des employés clés d'une entreprise dans le cadre d'une transaction," Deal Law Wire, June 2022.
- "Attirer ou conserver ses employés avec la mise en place de nouveaux avantages sociaux : attention aux obligations fiscales," Global Workplace Insider, July 2022.
- "Mondialisation, mobilité internationale et télétravail: vers une possible obsolescence du cadre d'analyse des limites territoriales dans les clauses de non-concurrence en matière d'emploi," Global Workplace Insider, August 2021.
- "Post-pandemic: The issues of working from home and the need for a related policy," Legal Update, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, May 2021.
- "Détenir un motif sérieux de congédiement ne cautionne pas tout comportement – Rappel de savoir-vivre pour les employeurs québécois," Global Workplace Insider, September 2020.
- "La Cour d'appel reconnaît que le courriel profesionnel d'un salarié peut servir à diffuser un message de nature syndicale dans le cadre de négociation," Legal Update, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, July 2019.
- "L'article 46 de la Charte des droits et libertés de la personne : une approche restrictive consacrée récemment par une sentence arbitrale," Legal Update, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, July 2019.
- "Restriction territoriale des clauses de non-concurrence dans l'industrie technologique - lorsque la limitation semble elle-même avoir une limite," Global Workplace Insider, March 2019.
- "La Loi sur la protection des renseignements personnels dans le secteur privé a 25 ans : votre opinion sollicitée," Global Law Firm, March 2019.
- Conference on cyber-harassment given to the Quebec Business Council, May 3, 2022.
- Conference on the latest Quebec labour market trends given at the industrial relations seminar of Laval University, September 8, 2022.
- "Gestion des employés à l'ère du travail hybride – Analyse de récentes tendances dans le marché du travail québécois," presentation in connection with the industrial relations seminar of Laval University, September 2022.
- "La prévention et la gestion du cyberharcèlement en milieu de travail du point de vue juridique," Norton Rose Fulbright and Conseil du patronat du Québec, 2022.
- "La gestion des employés à l'ère du travail hybride," webinar, Norton Rose Fulbright, September 2021.
- "Hiring a foreign worker in Canada during a pandemic: What to know and what strategies to adopt " webinar, Norton Rose Fulbright, October 2020.
- "Le devoir de négociation de bonne foi," conference presented as part of the Colloque droit du travail patronal-syndical of the Éditions Yvon Blais, June 2019.
- "Légalisation de la marijuana à des fins récréatives - Quels sont les changements en milieu de travail," presentation in connection with the industrial relations seminar of Laval University, March 2019.
- "Le vol de temps - un fléau gérable," presentation to the members of the AGÉRIUL of Laval University, March 2019.
- "Droit de l'emploi et du travail – Rétrospective de l'année 2017," Norton Rose Fulbright, March 2018.
- External decision-making member of Laval University's discipline committee since 2019
- Member of the board of directors of the Service d'orientation et d'intégration des immigrants au travail (SOIT)
2022 landmark decisions
Webinar | January 31, 2023
Globalization, international mobility and remote working
Publication | August 20, 2021
Managing employees in the era of hybrid working
Webinar | September 29, 2021