Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
- Banking and finance
- Debt financing
- Emerging markets
- Sustainable finance
Key industry sectors
Lisa Koch is a finance lawyer based in Sydney, having relocated from the firm's London office in 2018. In Australia Lisa leads the project finance team, and co-leads the mining group.
She advises on project finance and related transactions including acquisition and corporate finance primarily across natural resources, energy and infrastructure. Lisa has significant experience on complex cross-border and international transactions, with a particular focus on emerging market finance. She has advised extensively on offtake transactions in the metals and minerals sector, in relation to offtakes linked directly to financing arrangements, including streaming and royalties, and standalone offtakes. An increasing part of Lisa's practice is focused on energy transition and sustainability finance, including the financing of carbon offset generation projects.
Lisa is a recognised lawyer for Project Finance, Banking and Finance and Natural Resources in the Asia-Pacific Legal 500 2021. She sat on the advisory board of Blue Nodules, an EU funded consortium investigating the viability of deep sea mining. She is qualified to practice in Australia (NSW), England and South Africa.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- Attorney qualified in South Africa 2011
- Solicitor qualified in England & Wales 2014
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2018
- FMO and BIX Capital, Africa – leading the multi jurisdictional team advising FMO and Dutch impact investing investment fund BIX Capital, in their financing of carbon credit generation projects by C-Quest Capital LLC (CQC) in multiple African jurisdictions.
- AMP Capital, Taiwan – leading the multijurisdictional team advising AMP Capital on the financing of Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners' acquisition of a 25% interest in a circa US$2.4B / 376MW offshore Formosa II Wind Farm project in Taiwan Stonepeak's first investment into Asia's renewable market.
- C-Quest Capital, Bangladesh – advising C-Quest Capital LLC on its carbon offset sale and purchase arrangements with a multinational energy company, with offsets generated from its clean cookstove project in Bangladesh.
- Renewables projects portfolio, Australia – advising an international renewables investment fund on the acquisition of a portfolio of renewables projects in Australia.
- LNG project, Queensland – advising the lenders multiple global infrastructure funds in relation to the financing of a $1bn acquisition of a private equity stake in an LNG project in Australia.
- Anglo American, Australia – advising Anglo American Marketing on a portfolio of secured and unsecured prepayment finance, development finance and offtake arrangements with Australian mining companies for commodities including coking coal and iron ore.
- Sunraysia solar project, NSW Australia – advising Maonang Australia as developer and John Laing as acquiror in relation to the financing and development of the 200MW Sunraysia solar farm in NSW, Australia (PFI's Asia Pacific Solar deal of the year 2018).
- Multicom Resources, Australia – advising Multicom on offtake and financing aspects of the development of its Saint Elmo vanadium project to be developed in Queensland, Australia.
- SOE, Indonesia – advising an Indonesian SOE on the joint venture and offtake arrangements in relation to the development of its nickel mine, processing facilities, EV battery facility and battery recycling centre in Indonesia.
- Junior developer, USA – advising a junior developer in the USA on its rare earth offtakes with a number of international producers and its supply arrangements with global customers including an EV manufacturer.
- Eurasian Resources, DRC – advising ERG in relation to the development and financing of its copper and cobalt mine in the DRC through a Chinese EPC contractor and its copper cathode offtake and prepayment arrangements with its Chinese offtaker.
- Taurus Mining Finance, Senegal – advising Taurus Mining Finance on the project finance debt and royalty arrangements with Toro Gold in relation to the development of Toro Gold's Mako gold mine in Senegal.
- Taurus Mining Finance, Senegal – advising Taurus Mining Finance on the debt facility with ASX-listed Resolute Mining for Resolute's acquisition of Toro Gold and the purchase by Resolute of Taurus' royalty in relation to the Mako gold mine in Senegal.
- Anglo American, Chile – advising Anglo American Marketing and a Kimura fund in connection with Anglo American's copper offtake and linked development financing provided to Minera Tres Valles SpA in Chile.
- Gahcho Kué diamond mine, Canada – advising the lenders (Natixis, Nedbank, Scotiabank, ING, Bank of Montreal, EDC and Societe Generale) in relation to the financing of Mountain Province Diamonds' share of project costs in its joint venture with De Beers for the development of the $1bn mine Gahcho Kue diamond mine in the Northwest Territories (IJ Global Awards Canadian Mining and Metals deal of the year 2016).
- Strandline Resources, Tanzania – advising ASX-listed Strandline Resources on the development and project financing of its Fungoni minerals sands project in Tanzania.
- Taurus Mining Finance, USA - advising Taurus Mining Finance on the debt and royalty arrangements with AMCI Group in relation to the development of the Longview coal mine in West Virginia, being developed by AMCI with POSCO and ITOCHU.
- Ecora Resources (previously Anglo Pacific Group), Australia – advising Ecora on the sale of its coal royalty in relation to the Narrabri coal mine to Whitehaven Coal.
- Mount Pleasant mine, Australia – advising the syndicate of lenders financing Indonesian-sponsored MACH Energy Australia's Mount Pleasant mine in NSW, Australia.
- Yara Dallol Potash mine, Ethiopia – advising Yara International and Liberty Metals and Minerals in relation to the development and financing of the Dallol Potash Project, a potash mine to be developed in Ethiopia.
- Centerra Gold, Turkey, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan – advising in relation to the project financing of Centerra's greenfield Oksut gold mine in Turkey by UniCredit and EBRD, and the restructuring of its corporate facility with EBRD to finance its mining activities in Mongolia and Kyrgyzstan.
- Solar project, Ukraine – advising VTB Capital in connection with the EUR175 million facility provided to Activ Solar GmbH for the purpose of financing a 100 MW solar power project in Ukraine.
- Alufer Mining Limited – advising in relation to its bespoke bauxite offtake and marketing arrangements with the Orion Mine Finance Fund for its project in development in Guinea.
- 'Sharing mining infrastructure', published in Mining Journal's 2014 Africa Mining Finance Guide
- 'Financing infrastructure in a tough market', published by Mining Journal 20 December 2015
- 'Investors go to water: recent developments in offshore and deep-sea mining', published by Mining Journal 28 November 2014
- Blogs published on Inside Africa include 'How should international investors deal with dispute resolution issues in Ethiopia', 'Ghanaian Real Estate: Opportunity for growth in the construction industry', 'Zambia's fight to boost investment incentives for mining', and 'Global African Investor Summit talks agribusiness'
Publication | June 23, 2022
The rising tide of LNG infrastructure
Publication | January 21, 2022
Mining law insights
Publication | January 15, 2022