Related services and key industries
Sumera Khan is a partner in the Houston office where her practice focuses on eDiscovery and information governance, data privacy, and commercial litigation. She has counseled clients in the energy, healthcare, insurance, and pharmaceutical industries on issues arising from litigation as well as requests for compliance advice.
Sumera assists clients in navigating complex electronic discovery issues, and during the past three years, Sumera has developed a particular specialty to efficiently and defensibly respond to cyber incidents by preparing review protocols designed to quickly identify data subjects impacted by the incident and the types of personal information impacted. Sumera has counseled clients not only on incident response and regulator notification but also on breach preparedness.
Following two separate secondments to the corporate office of a leading specialty insurer, Sumera has also maintained her commercial litigation practice where she has defended clients in insurance coverage litigation, class action suits, and various other disputes. She is known for her knowledge and appreciation of the client's business operations and interests and for formulating strategies that best serve those interests.
Sumera has a diverse practice, which includes devotion to representation of clients on a pro bono basis. This work has given her substantial trial and appellate experience, including oral argument to the Fourteenth Court of Appeals and briefing to the Supreme Court of the United States, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and Texas Criminal Court of Appeals.
JD, University of Houston Law Center, 2009
BA, Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude, Trinity University, 2006
At the University of Houston Law Center, Sumera was the articles editor of the Houston Journal of International Law and the president of the Muslim Law Students Association. She also received the Adams & Reese Award for Best Paper in International Law, the Law Center's Distinguished Service Award, and the LEX Award for Legal Analysis, Research, and Communication I with the highest grade.
During law school, Sumera participated in the Law Center's Civil Clinic program for one year where she assisted, pro bono, numerous families in child custody, modification, divorce, and adoption cases.
Sumera is admitted to practice law in the state of Texas. She is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas and the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas.
- Texas State Bar
Sumera has participated and assisted in the representation of:
eDiscovery and Information Governance and Data Privacy:
- A national energy company in its internal investigation to assess a potential data breach of its company infrastructure and technology
- A national benefits manager in its internal investigation to assess the impact of a data breach of several dozen employees' email accounts
- A prominent consulting company in its internal investigation to assess individuals effected by a compromise of two employee accounts
- A large multinational manufacturing company in efforts to bring its discovery and investigation process into compliance with the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation
- Several global Fortune 100 companies with General Data Protection Regulation compliance, focusing primarily on the processing and transfer of personal data in litigations and investigations
- A pharmaceutical company sued by a class of purchasers for antitrust violations and seeking representation on how to best manage electronic discovery and preservation in the United States and Germany
- A pharmaceutical company as e-discovery counsel on litigation readiness, information management, data privacy, and international discovery issues
- A foreign parent company of a United States automobile manufacturer in a multi-district litigation regarding allegations of a product defect
Insurance Coverage and Commercial Litigation:
- A specialty insurance company seeking declaratory judgment relief under an event cancellation policy for COVID-19 insurance claims
- A specialty insurance company sued by a putative class of insureds seeking business interruption coverage under a property policy for COVID-19 losses
- A specialty insurance company sued by a putative class of insureds alleging antitrust violations for the price fixing of surety bail bonds
- A specialty insurance company sued by an insured under a kidnap and ransom policy seeking losses for the arrests of its employees by the government of the Philippines
- An insurer of short-term medical and travel insurance policies threatened with litigation by insureds across the nation for improper claims handling
- An insurance company sued by a putative class of employees, alleging false advertising and unfair competition under California law
- An energy equipment company in dealer termination suits in four states
- A financial institution in prosecuting claims against corporations and individuals for default of promissory notes and loans
- An engineering company and its employees against claims of theft of trade secrets
- An international power tool manufacturer in antitrust action alleging a group boycott to refuse to license plaintiff's patented technology
- A hospital group sued by a putative class of employees, alleging a conspiracy to suppress wages in violation of the Sherman Act
- A ready-mix concrete company in defense of a criminal investigation and civil class action suit on claims of price-fixing and bid rigging in violation of the Sherman Act
- A large healthcare system in defense of a criminal investigation on claims of price-fixing in violation of the Sherman Act
- An energy company seeking to prepare and update its global antitrust compliance program
- A large healthcare system in defense of a lawsuit alleging tortious interference, violations of the Texas Insurance Code, civil conspiracy, and violations of the Texas Free Enterprise and Antitrust Act; case resulted in defense verdict
- A trade association of leading oil, gas, and energy companies in an effort to ensure its discussions and Board meetings comply with antitrust laws and regulations
- A terminally ill mother in Brazoria County seeking termination of parental rights for her two children to facilitate a step-parent adoption proceeding
- A mother seeking to regain custody of her son in a highly-contested suit in Harris County that proceeded to final trial on the merits and appeal before the Fourteenth Court of Appeals, which granted oral argument and supplemental briefing
- A Mexican national on death row, convicted of capital murder who asserted constitutional protection under the Eighth Amendment and is now off death row
- A death row inmate, convicted of capital murder who asserted constitutional protection under the Eighth Amendment and is now off death row
Member of Norton Rose Fulbright's Antitrust and Competition Law Group, which was named:
- Global Competition Review, GCR Elite 20: No. 13, Law Business Research LTD, 2015
- Best Law Firms, national ranking for antitrust, US News & World Report and Best Lawyers, 2015
- Legal 500 US, Nationwide: Antitrust, The Legal 500, 2014
- "Tweets: Who Has Possession, Custody, or Control?: Examining the Implications of Shenwick v. Twitter," ABA Litigation, Feb. 14, 2019
- Co-author, "High Court in Texas reminds litigants 'proportionality is polestar,'" Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, June 2, 2017.
- Co-author with David Kessler and Jamie Nowak, "The Potential Impact of Article 48 of the General Data Protection Regulation on Cross Border Discovery From the United States," The Sedona Conference Journal, Volume 17, Number Two, 2016
- Co-author, "Federal Subject Matter Jurisdiction in Federal Court in International Cases," International ABA Litigation, July 2010
- Presenter, "Third Annual Business Litigation Summit for In-House Counsel – Cybersecurity and Data Privacy," Norton Rose Fulbright, January 2020.
- Presenter, E-Discovery for the Corporate Marketplace, Today's General Counsel Institute, Houston, Texas (2019).
- Presenter, "2018 eDiscovery Case Update," Epiq / ALM Webcast, December 2018.
- Moderator, Handling Regulatory Investigations, Emerging Leaders, March 2018.
- Panelist, "How To Manage A Review," Norton Rose Fulbright EDiscovery Learning Series, June 2015.
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Houston Bar Association (HBA)
- Houston Bar Association Diversity and Inclusion Committee (2014-present)
- Houston Bar Association Communities in Schools (CIS) Committee (2016-2017)
- Houston Young Lawyers Association (HYLA)--Bench Book Committee (2010-2011)
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program (HVLP)
- City of Houston Attorney Loan Program