Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Eric Daucher provides a full spectrum of bankruptcy and insolvency related advice. His practice includes litigating avoidance actions and contested chapter 11 plans of reorganization or liquidation, prosecuting and defending bankruptcy appeals, advising on and obtaining bankruptcy court approval of value-maximizing distressed M&A transactions, analyzing complex capital structures and related covenant issues, and negotiating and implementing out-of-court workouts. His clients frequently call upon him to investigate complex transactions or unusual business failures for potential wrongdoing and to identify and pursue avenues for unlocking creditor value. His practice spans a broad range of industries, including financial services, energy, agribusiness, aviation, telecommunications, traditional and digital publishing, insurance and government entities.
Eric has been repeatedly recognized as a rising star in the insolvency and restructuring field, and was recently identified in the 2019 Legal 500 U.S. Guide as both a "Next Generation Partner" for his work in municipal restructurings and a "Recommended Practitioner."
JD, Moot Court, Emory University School of Law, 2009
BA, Trinity College, 2006
- New York State Bar
- A steering committee of international lenders to Vicentin S.A.I.C. in connection with the company's sudden collapse and related matters.
- The directors and managers of certain members of the Britax group in that group's out-of-court restructuring.
- Elk Petroleum, Inc. and its affiliated debtors-in-possession in their chapter 11 cases.
- The court-appointed monitor of Sears Canada Inc. in connection with the chapter 11 cases of former affiliate, Sears Holdings Corp., against which Sears Canada Inc. holds hundreds of millions of dollars of claims.
- The first lien agent for a syndicate of lenders to Waypoint LLC and certain of its affiliated debtors in their chapter 11 cases.
- An ad hoc committee of alternative asset managers holding insured bonds in the restructuring of the Puerto Rico Sales Tax Financing Corporation (COFINA), the first successful restructuring under Title III of the PROMESA statute.
- The independent directors of Claire's, Inc. in that company's chapter 11 cases.
- NextEra Energy in its attempted acquisition out of bankruptcy of Energy Future Holdings and its stake in Oncor Electric Delivery Company.
- An ad hoc committee of alternative asset managers holding insured bonds in connection with the rehabilitation exit proceedings of Ambac Assurance Corporation's segregated account.
- The joint liquidators of Hellas Telecommunications (Luxembourg) II in a chapter 15 case, cross-border avoidance actions, and related appeals.
- The scheme administrators of OIC Run-Off Limited and The London and Overseas Insurance Company Limited in obtaining chapter 15 recognition and enforcement of a scheme of arrangement in the US.
- The First Lien Agent for Dunkard Creek Water Treatment System in connection with the chapter 11 bankruptcies of Longview Power and related debtors.
- Assured Guaranty in the chapter 9 case of Detroit, Michigan.
- Assured Guaranty in the chapter 9 case of Jefferson County, Alabama.
- The court-appointed Examiner, Arthur J. Gonzalez, in investigation of claims in the Residential Capital, LLC chapter 11 cases.
- The Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Tribune Company, et al.
- The Australian liquidators of the A.B.C. Learning Centres companies in their ancillary cases under chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code and related appeals.
- New York Metro Rising Star, Bankruptcy, Thomson Reuters, 2016 - 2019
- Recommended lawyer, The Legal 500 US, Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate, The Legal 500, 2019 - 2020
- Recommended lawyer, The Legal 500 US, Restructuring (including bankruptcy): municipal, The Legal 500, 2019 - 2020
- Next generation lawyer, The Legal 500 US, Restructuring (including bankruptcy): municipal, The Legal 500, 2019 - 2020
- "Learning the Lessons of Chapter 9," The Bond Buyer, September 14, 2015
- "Federal Court Strikes Down Puerto Rico’s Recovery Act as Unconstitutional," Client Alert, February 11, 2015
- "Puerto Rico Claims Authority to Nonconsensually Restructure Public Corporation Debt," Client Alert, July 7, 2014
- Co-author, "Important 2011 Rulings of Foreign Proceedings," International Restructuring NewsWire, February 2012
- Co-author, "Key 2011 Decisions on Chapter 11 Plan Confirmation Issues," International Restructuring NewsWire, February 2012
- "Has Stern v. Marshall Opened a Jurisdictional Dispute Floodgate," International Restructuring NewsWire, October 2011
- "Dodd-Frank’s Liquidation Scheme: Basics for Bankruptcy Practitioners," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, July/August 2011
- "The Gifting Doctrine Post-DBSD North Am., Inc.," International Restructuring NewsWire, May 2011
- "SCOPAC: New Opportunities for Secured Creditors in Sales of Bankrupt Companies through Chapter 11 Plans," International Restructuring NewsWire, February 2011
- "Litigating Valuation Disputes: A Primer on Preparing Expert Witnesses for Contested Valuations," ABI - Second Annual Mid-Level Professional Development Program, October 2010
- Co-author, "Chapter 11 Plan Confirmation Issues: Settlements, Releases, Gifting and Death Traps," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, October 2010
- "Restructuring a Municipality under Chapter 9," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, August 2010
- Co-author, "Introduction to Recognition Under Chapter 15," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, June 2010
- "Cross-Border Restructuring: A Collaborative Approach," New York, NY, September 24, 2019
- "Chapter 15 of the US Bankruptcy Code: Opportunities and Challenges for Off-Shore Insolvency Professionals," Hamilton, Bermuda, April 20, 2017
- "Puerto Rico Oversight, Management and Economic Stability Act (PROMESA) Webinar," New York, NY, July 12, 2016
- "Chapter 15 of the US Bankruptcy Code - A Powerful Tool for Off-Shore Practitioners," Tortola, BVI, March 23, 2016
- "Puerto Rico's New Public Corporation Debt Enforcement and Recovery Act -- Restructuring Legislation for Commonwealth Instrumentalities Webinar," New York, New York, July 28, 2014