John J. Byron
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
John J. ByronvCard
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Since joining the firm, John has focused his practice on securities litigation and enforcement and other complex litigation matters. John has also spent significant time assisting clients with internal and government investigations into alleged securities violations and alleged bribery and corruption and helping clients conduct anti-bribery and corruption due diligence in connection with business transactions or other business arrangements.
John's experience extends across a diverse range of industries, including oil and gas, power, real estate, insurance, financial services, telecommunications, transportation, and retail. His litigation experience includes defending companies in Securities Act, Exchange Act, Texas Securities Act, RICO, Robinson-Patman Act, TVPA, ATCA, fraudulent transfer, and fiduciary duty cases.
In 2013 and 2014, John spent six months in Norton Rose Fulbright's London office where he worked with the Business Ethics and Anti-Corruption group. Both in London and in Houston, John has advised clients on bribery and corruption risk and worked on multi-jurisdictional bribery and corruption investigations.
In 2015 and 2016, John participated in the Firm's attorney loan program where he spent one day a week for twenty weeks prosecuting cases on behalf of the City of Houston. As part of that program, John prosecuted approximately ten cases to jury verdict.
Most recently, John has worked with companies and their boards of directors to respond to activist shareholders and advised companies on issues related to business and human rights risk. In addition, John founded and co-leads the Emerging Leaders in Compliance and Investigations Network, which brings together in-house lawyers to foster thought leadership on compliance and investigative issues.
JD, magna cum laude, Wake Forest University School of Law, 2011
BA, cum laude, Political Science and Sociology, Tulane University, 2006
While in law school, John received the North Carolina Advocates for Justice Award for trial advocacy. He also earned CALI Awards for the top grade in ten classes. Following graduation, he was invited into the Order of the Coif.
As a member of the Wake Forest Moot Court Board, John won best memorial (brief) as a regional runner up and international finalist at the International Environmental Law Moot Court Competition. For the Wake Forest Appellate Advocacy Clinic, he argued and received a favorable judgment in the United States Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. He also served as an Executive Editor for the Wake Forest Law Review and as a teaching assistant for LLM students.
- Texas State Bar
- Represented shale gas company in investigation conducted by SEC.
- Defended Houston-based oil company and executives in a first-of-its-kind regulatory enforcement action brought by the SEC related to disclosure of hydrocarbon resource estimates.
- Represented board of Canadian exploration and production company in litigation challenging proposed $8.3 billion sale.
- Represented MLP in $400 million merger litigation.
- Representing oil and gas exploration and production company in investigation conducted by SEC into internal control over financial reporting related to vendor disbursement and wire transfers.
- Representing global supplier of drilling and production products and services in investigation conducted by SEC, class action litigation, and derivative litigation related to disclosures about technology product.
- Representing audit committee of oil and gas exploration and production company in connection with SEC investigation into disclosures about an oil and gas reservoir and issues involving oil and gas accounting.
- Prepared antitrust compliance materials for industry meeting of financial institutions.
- Obtained dismissal of antitrust counterclaims in patent infringement litigation against pavement lifting and soil stabilization company.
- Commercial Litigation
- Negotiated settlement of commercial contract dispute for national sports and apparel retailer.
- Negotiated settlement of an investor fraud action on behalf of a clean energy company.
- Obtained summary judgment for international insurance company in purchase agreement earnout dispute.
- Represented and obtained favorable settlement after winning significant summary judgment motion for electric utility company in ~$2 billion fraudulent transfer and fiduciary duty litigation.
- Obtained summary judgment for oilfield services company and board in fiduciary duty litigation and Texas Securities Act challenging a restructuring transaction.
- Obtained dismissal of RICO and Robinson-Patman Act claims for a major financial institution.
- Representing oil and gas exploration and production company in Delaware based fiduciary duty litigation.
- White Collar Crime
- Successfully represented client in health care fraud investigation.
- Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption
- Assisted with internal bribery investigation into large telecommunications provider.
- Participated in representation of individual acquitted by jury in SFO bribery prosecution.
- Advised African entity on FCPA liability.
- Assisted in internal investigation of oilfield services company's Brazilian operations.
- Conducted investigation into Brazilian operations of oilfield services company in connection with investigation by the SEC and DOJ.
- Conducted due diligence on agents in Mexico, Venezuela, and Colombia.
- Conducted transaction due diligence on multiple transactions for representations and warranties insurer.
- Shareholder Activism
- Advised board of major retailer in relation to "good governance" requests made by certain shareholders
- Advised board of pharmaceutical company in relation to M&A activism
- Business and Human Rights
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit against clothing manufacturer alleging violations of the Alien Tort Statute, the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act, and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.
- Advised supplier of agricultural products and services on release of human rights assessment.
- Advised food manufacturer on supply chain responsibilities and creation of a supplier code of conduct.
- Texas Rising Star, securities litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2015-2019
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Co Author, "Supreme Court gives guidance on opinion statements", Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, March 30, 2015
- Co Author, "New human trafficking rules for US government contractors", Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, January 30, 2015
- Co Author, "US to develop Business and Human Rights National Action Plan", Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, October 14, 2014
- Co Author, "Ritchie v. Rupe: End of minority shareholder oppression in Texas", Norton Rose Fulbright - legal update, June 27, 2014
- Co Author, "Not so Basic anymore - Supreme Court to assess Basic’s fraud-on-the-market presumption of reliance", Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, November 19, 2013
- Co Author, "Supreme Court holds pay-for-delay subject to antitrust scrutiny but not presumptively unlawful", June 18, 2013
- Co Author, "Awake from the ‘Nightmare’: Lessons Learned from the Courts in Addressing E-Discovery", The Trial Practice Committee Newsletter (Antitrust Trial Practice), Winter 2013
- Co Author, "Pay-For-Delay Enforcement Heats Up in the Wake of In re K-Dur Antitrust Litigation", Fulbright Briefing, October 16, 2012
- Co Author, "Third Circuit Finds Pay-for-Delay Settlements Prima Facie Unlawful", Fulbright Briefing, July 20, 2012
- Co Author, "State-Action Fight Far From Over: Supreme Court to Revisit Immunity of Regulated Industries", Fulbright Briefing, July 5, 2012
- Co Author, "Pay-for-Delay: Still a Critical Antitrust Enforcement Priority", Fulbright Briefing, June 21, 2012
- Co Author, "New Tools for Securities Litigators: Making Effective Use of the Revised Removal & Venue Provisions of the Judicial Code", Securities Litigation Report, March 2012
- Co Author, "Analysing the Federal Courts Jurisdiction and Venue Clarification Act of 2011", Commercial Dispute Resolution, February 2012
- Co Author, "Clarifying the Judicial Code: Revisions to Federal Court Removal, Venue, and Jurisdiction Laws", Fulbright Alert, January 5, 2012
- Co-presenter, "Antitrust Law for Labor & Employment Lawyers," Fulbright & Jaworski – Labor & Employment Professional Development Series, January 18, 2012
- "Overview of Human Rights Related Laws in the United States," April 2014
- Moderator, Panel on the Role of Disputes Associates, October 2015 & 2016
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Bayou Buddies Steering Committee, Buffalo Bayou Partnership (2015 - Present)
- Wake Forest School of Law, Young Alumni Board Member (2012 - Present)
- Big Brother, Big Brothers Big Sisters (2013-Present)
Publication | June 23, 2018
Privilege and the “client” in The RBS Rights Issue Litigation  EWHC 3161 (Ch) – UK and US perspectives
Publication | July 2017
Publication | January 2017