Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Will Sprott is an associate in the intellectual property group of Norton Rose Fulbright's Houston office. His practice focuses on intellectual property litigation and intellectual property transactional matters.
JD, cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 2014
BS, Biomedical Engineering, Tulane University, 2010
Will's law school accomplishments include Order of the Barristers, Houston Business and Tax Law Journal Intellectual Property Writing Award, IPIL Award for Distinguished Accomplishment, and Justice Bud Warren Appellate Advocacy Scholarship. A very active law student, he was the publications editor for Houston Business and Tax Law Journal, member of the Alternate Dispute Resolutions team, and competed in the ABA Mediation and ABA Negotiation competitions. Will was also a member of the Moot Court team and competed in the Giles Sutherland Rich Patent Moot Court competition twice winning Best Brief award in 2013, Best Advocate award in 2014, and advancing to the national stage in 2014.
- Texas State Bar
Intellectual Property Litigation Experience
- Defended multiple technology companies in a patent infringement suit involving patents related to single-sign-on, tracking state information, and other website functionality (District of Delaware).
- Defended large South African energy company in suit involving patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation, and breach of contract (Southern District of Texas; Federal Circuit Court of Appeals; Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals).
- Defended a regulatory compliance software company in a breach of contract suit and successfully defended against preliminary injunction (Wyoming).
- Defended a telecommunications services company in a patent infringement suit involving installation and removal of fiber optic infrastructure (Eastern and Western District of Texas).
- Represented a trucking telematics technology company in a misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract suit related to hardware integration software (Southern District of California).
- Defended a biotechnology company in a breach of contract arbitration related to a claim of false inventorship.
- Defended an individual pro bono in a trade secret misappropriation suit (Harris County, Texas).
- Defended a large electronics manufacturer in multiple patent infringement suits related to printer technology (Central District of California and Eastern District of Pennsylvania).
- Defended an oilfield tool manufacturing company in a patent suit against a large oilfield services company (Southern District of Texas).
- Advised a large pharmaceutical client concerning pre-suit strategy related to the breach of a pharmaceutical patent license.
- Prepared various pleadings, discovery motions, motions to dismiss, motions for summary judgment, motions to stay discovery, jury instructions, etc. for multiple intellectual property cases in numerous districts.
- Prepared invalidity and non-infringement contentions and expert reports.
- Draft appeal briefs for intellectual property disputes before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Intellectual Property Transactional Experience
- Led teams and participated in performing detailed IP due diligence analysis aimed to provide overall strategic advice regarding product clearance and protection, analyzing infringement issues, and consulting regarding research and development.
- Prepared weekly patent activity updates for large consumer products company providing analysis of recent published and issued patent filings.
- Advised software developer client during several different licensing negotiations and drafted new template for their form software license.
- Advised financing institution client regarding financing a $200M acquisition of an oilfield services company.
- Advised financing institution client regarding financing a $150M acquisition of a leading marketing solutions and search platform.
- Advised retail client regarding financing technology development to be implemented in client's retail locations.
- Advised German battery manufacturer on the acquisition of large American battery manufacturer.
- Advised Japanese steel company in acquisition of multiple steel rebar manufacturing facilities in California and Texas.
- Drafted patent applications related to various medical devices including surgical tools and biomedical acoustic devices.
- Drafted several office action responses and other various communications with the USPTO.
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Nancy Atlas Intellectual Property Inn of Court, Associate
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, Member
- UHLC Giles Rich Patent Law Moot Court Team, Coach
- UHLC ABA Negotiation Competition Team, Coach