Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Richard Sonkin’s practice focuses on the areas of project finance and real estate. He has extensive experience in handling complex commercial and financial transactions for lenders and developers, including transactions involving project financing of independent power projects, both domestically and internationally.
JD, magna cum laude, Member of the Justinian Honor Society and Order of the Coif, Syracuse University College of Law, 1974
BA, magna cum laude, Boston University, 1971
- New York State Bar
- Representation of Siemens Financial Services, Inc., Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, and Union Bank, N.A. in connection with the financing of Pattern Energy’s 151.8 MW Spring Valley wind project, located near Ely, Nevada, the first major wind project in Nevada.
- Representation of Siemens Financial Services, Inc. in connection with the financing of Pattern Energy’s 101.3 MW Santa Isabel wind project located in the municipality of Santa Isabel on the southern coast of Puerto Rico, the first major wind project in Puerto Rico.
- Represented the developer and lessee in the US$1.6 billion financing for Alta Phases II-V (which included a Rule 144A bond offering, a bank cash grant bridge facility and a forward commitment for a sale-leaseback), making this the first large portfolio of wind projects utilizing a leveraged lease structure in the United States.
- Represented The AES Corporation in its US$1.02 billion acquisition, project financing and Rule 144A leveraged lease financing of six coal-fired merchant power plants, with a generating capacity of 1,424MW from New York State Electric & Gas. This transaction was the first time a simultaneous closing of an acquisition of power plants for the merchant market and a leveraged lease financing with a Rule 144A debt offering were achieved.
- Represented Credit Suisse with respect to its underwriting of a construction and term loan for a facility in Wellsville, Ohio.
- Represented The AES Corporation in its US$731 million acquisition of three natural gas-fired merchant plants in California.
- Represented ABN-AMRO in connection with the Electroandina project, a US$465 million financing of power plants and interconnection transmission lines in northern Chile, and in the US$38 million debt financing of the expansion of this project.
- Represented The AES Corporation in connection with its acquisition from KMR Power, in a stock-for-stock transaction valued at US$60.8 million, of controlling interests in two gas-fired plants in Cartagena, Colombia.
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Project Finance Lawyers, Expert Guides, 2008
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Project finance, Chambers & Partners, 2008 and 2009
- Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, Projects in the United States, Chambers & Partners, 2010 and 2012
- American Jurisprudence Award in Civil Procedure and Real Property, 1974
- Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2013 - 2020
- Former bi-monthly columnist, New York Law Journal