John A. O'Malley
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
John A. O'MalleyvCard
Related services and key industries
John O'Malley, a partner in the Los Angeles office since 1992, represents clients in complex litigation matters, including commercial disputes, intellectual property litigation, insurance coverage and professional negligence matters. John has tried cases in state and federal courts in California and other states including Nevada, Texas, Colorado and Florida. John has argued appeals in California state appellate courts, in the Ninth Circuit and Federal Circuit. Handling complex litigation matters for over thirty years, John has represented clients doing business in a variety of industries including energy, high tech, medical devices, professional services, insurance brokerage, manufacturing and real estate, among others.
JD, University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall), 1981
BA, Hampshire College, Amherst, Massachusetts, 1975
John has been licensed to practice law in California since 1981. While in law school, John externed for Hon. Spencer Williams, Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
- California State Bar
A representative list of his cases includes:
- In May 2013, John successfully secured a $70 million verdict, increased with interest to $101.6 million judgment, on behalf of a Hong Kong businessman against Las Vegas Sands, Corp. ("LVS") following a six-week Nevada state court jury trial for services rendered in assisting LVS in obtaining its lucrative gaming license in Macau, China. This was a retrial of a 2008 trial where John won a $43.8 million verdict. The case garnered international media attention as it concerned the internal political workings of China and Macau, political influence in the United States, and the extraordinary value of gaming rights being exploited in Macau. See, Connie Bruck, "The Brass Ring", The New Yorker, June 30, 2008; "Year of the Rat", Forbes, March 24, 2008; "Adelson Ties Said to Ease Macau Bid", Los Angeles Times, June 16, 2008; various articles in the Wall Street Journal, Las Vegas Review Journal, Las Vegas Sun, South China Morning Post (Hong Kong), International Herald Tribune and other publications; John served as lead trial counsel. Bloomberg Law recently interviewed John about this case; click here to see the full interview.
- As lead trial counsel, in 2010, John represented Forest Lawn Memorial Parks Association in a ten week jury trial concerning development of the former El Toro Marine Base in Irvine, California; the matter settled during closing argument
- In 2010, John tried a bench trial in Colorado state court concerning bad faith title insurance claims; the matter was successfully concluded on appeal.
- In November 2008, John tried a three week jury trial regarding patented disc drive technology
- In New Jersey federal court, John successfully prosecuted an exclusive distributorship matter on behalf of a medical device manufacturer achieving a $9.25 million settlement for our client; John served as lead counsel
- In one of the first actions under anti-cybersquatting amendments to the federal trademark law, he won an injunction and substantial attorney's fee award against a "cybersquatter" defeating at trial the infringer's genericness defense; John served as lead trial counsel
- In California state court, John obtained summary judgment defending against trade secret claims in the medical services industry; John served as lead counsel
- In Oklahoma federal court, he obtained summary judgment successfully defending a medical device manufacturer against claims of a licensor; John served as lead counsel
- John won a $1.6 million patent infringement verdict from a Florida federal jury on behalf of the patentee, affirmed in part on appeal; John served as lead trial and appellate counsel
- In Los Angeles federal court, John won a defense verdict on trademark claims on behalf of a nationally known retailer; John served as co-lead trial counsel
- Representing an employer victimized by an illegal workers' compensation scheme, John won full compensation of the client's damages and on-going coverage for the client's exposure through mediation; John served as lead counsel
- A Texas federal court jury found willful patent infringement in which John tried the case on behalf of the patentee, recovering attorney fees for our client, affirmed on appeal; John served as lead trial and appellate counsel
- In an antitrust and contract dispute, John won a $4.75 million award in binding arbitration on behalf of a client in the environmental testing industry; John served as lead counsel
- In a series of wind farm cases, John became one of the first California trial attorneys to handle a "paperless jury trial" using CD-ROM computer technology to display imaged exhibits; John served as lead trial counsel
- Southern California Super Lawyer, business litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2004 - 2007, 2009 - 2019
- Southern California's Top Rated Lawyers, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2012 - 2013
- Litigator of the Week, The American Lawyer, May 16, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2018 - 2020
- American Bar Association - Litigation Section
- Committee on Corporate CounselState Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Advisory Board of the Institute of Corporate Counsel, sponsored by the University of Southern California and the Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Inner City Law Center, Board of Directors member
John is Adjunct Professor of Law teaching Trial Advocacy at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles. He is also a member of the California State Bar, the Ninth, Tenth and Federal Circuits, all federal courts in California and the Western District of Michigan.