Head of Corporate, M&A and Securities, South Africa; Director
Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Kevin, Chairman and Head of Corporate – South Africa, is a commercial lawyer based in Johannesburg.
He is one of the most respected corporate lawyers in South Africa, having acted for well-known South African mining and industrial groups and for various South African and international banks. He specialises in mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance work, general commercial and corporate work, tax and financial services. He also advises on related exchange control matters.
Kevin has extensive corporate experience and has been involved in major transactions in this field for over 35 years. He advised Barclays Bank Plc on the sell down of their interest in Barclays Africa Group Limited. He advised Cell C in relation to the restructuring of its shareholding and recapitalisation involving, among others, the introduction of Blue Label Telecommunications as a major shareholder. He advised Exxaro Resources on the restructuring of its shareholding and the introduction of a new BEE structure. He also advised Exxaro in relation to the disposal of a portion of its shareholding in Tronox, an Australian listed company. Kevin advised Group Five Limited on corporate governance issues and in relation to hostile offers made for a portion of its assets.
Kevin has extensive experience in financial transactions and has represented financial institutions both locally and internationally including Barclays, FirstRand, Standard Bank, Investec, Citigroup, Nedbank, Absa, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank and others. He has also acted for clients such as Anglo American, De Beers, Sandvik, Group Five, Rio Tinto, Actis Private Equity, Ethos Private Equity, Exxaro, Kumba and other well-known multinational and South African corporations.
- Bachelor of Commerce (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Bachelor of Laws (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Master of Laws (Tax)(University of the Witwatersrand)
- Notary Public and Conveyancer
- qualified in South Africa 1982
- Kevin is listed as highly regarded for for M&A, Capital markets: Debt & Equity, Banking in IFLR1000, 2019.
- Kevin is listed as a leading individual for commercial, corporate and M&A in Legal500, 2018.
- He is also listed as a recommended lawyer for mining in Legal500, 2018.
- Kevin is regularly listed as a leading financial, corporate and banking lawyer in IFLR1000, Who's Who, Legal500 and Chambers Global.
- IFLR1000 refers to Kevin as a 'well reputed individual practitioner who is noted by peers and clients as one of the top M&A lawyers'. Included in the ranking is a quote from a competitor being: 'Cron is a brilliant M&A and all-round corporate lawyer'.
- Kevin is currently ranked Band 1 by Chambers Global for corporate, mergers and acquisitions and added that "Head of corporate Kevin Cron is a driving force of the practice and leads many of the firm's standout M&A deals. Sources regard him as "one of the most respected corporate attorneys in South Africa" and he is lauded for his excellent technical abilities and diligent approach.
- Kevin was nominated by his peers as one of the world's leading practitioners in the field of Corporate Governance by Who's Who Legal in 2014, and has recently been listed in Who's Who Legal 2016 for M&A and Governance. Chambers Global, 2017 sources say, "He knows all the regulations back to front."
- Member of the Law Society of South Africa
- Member of the Company Law Committee of the Law Society