We have committed to achieving 30 percent female representation across the partnership and the Global Executive Committee, Global Board, Regional Management Committees and Regional Boards in 2020.
We support gender balance programs in order to address and reduce unconscious bias in decision making. We provide targeted leadership development for women, including coaching, mentoring and sponsorship, and we facilitate and strengthen professional networking through our women’s networks and diversity and inclusion committees.
Supporting our people
Employee resource groups for women
We have women’s networks in many of our offices around the world, with the aim of supporting the personal and professional career development of women at all levels within the firm.
Our women’s networks, Women in Norton Rose Fulbright (WiN) and Early WiN, continue to support our strategy for women by providing a broad range of internal events focusing on career progression for women, as well as access to female role models across the firm. They also arrange client events for networking and business development purposes.
Nurturing high performance
Our Career Strategies Program (CSP) is a global modular development program aimed at creating a more gender balanced partnership. It was the first of its kind in the legal sector and when launched in 2010, the objective was to increase the number of female partners in Europe, Middle East and Asia from 16% to 21% over three years. We achieved this target and our continued focus on the recruitment, promotion and retention of female talent has increased female partner representation to 27% in EMEA as at June 2019. The CSP was rolled out in Australia in 2014 and in Canada and the US in 2015, contributing to an increase in female partner representation in those regions as well.
Global percentage of female partners
- Australia 33%
- Canada 27%
- Europe, Middle East and Asia 28%
- South Africa 35%
- United States 20%
- Female partners globally 26%
- Women on Global Executive Committee 37%
- Women on Global board 35%
As of July 2019
International Women’s Day
For International Women’s Day, we organize a range of activities, encouraging us all to take concrete steps towards achieving gender parity within our firm. In addition, our women’s networks in our offices around the world host events throughout the year in order to provide learning, development and networking opportunities to all our people. This provides a visible forum where issues affecting women (in law and across our clients’ industries) can be discussed freely.
Supporting our communities
Case study: Coaching female talent for the financial markets
We are backing an innovative initiative in Latin America to promote female talent in the financial markets. We are working in partnership with not-for-profit organization Women in Leadership in Latin America (WILL), to promote female university students in Brazil to internships with our clients BNP Paribas, Deutsche Bank and UBS, as well as with Goldman Sachs.
The four banks have joined forces to sponsor this initiative, called Program Dn´A Women, which will be coordinated and managed by WILL, to encourage women to embrace careers in the financial markets. A total of 60 candidates will be selected to join a four month educational program, during which each will be allocated two senior executives as mentors, one male and one female. The best candidates will be offered jobs at Goldman Sachs, BNP Paribas, Deutsche Bank and UBS.
- Norton Rose Fulbright is named in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2019
- Three US lawyers named ‘Notable Women in Law’ by Crain’s NY Business
- Norton Rose Fulbright partners recognised at Asia Women in Business Law Awards 2018
- National Diversity Council taps US lawyer for women’s healthcare honor
- Norton Rose Fulbright partners profiled in 2018 Global Investigations Review’s Women in Investigations feature
- US lawyer named one of Crain’s New York Business ‘Leading Women Lawyers in New York City’
- The Houston Lawyer magazine features two Houston women lawyers
- Norton Rose Fulbright hosts major forums on healthcare private equity and M&A and for women in life sciences
- Norton Rose Fulbright listed as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for second year running