Adam T. Schramek
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Adam Schramek is a litigation partner in the Austin office of Norton Rose Fulbright. He handles complex litigation in state and federal courts across the country, and has extensive experience defending class actions, including class claims brought against insurance companies for coverage issues and claims adjustment practices. He also has significant experience with domestic arbitration proceedings and health care disputes.
Adam has litigated and arbitrated complex disputes in multiple jurisdictions. In recent years, his work has focused on the insurance, health care and technology sectors. His broad-based litigation practice includes disputes involving software, provider reimbursement, insurance coverage, commercial indemnities and bad faith liability.
Adam handles matters on both sides of the docket, aggressively prosecuting and defending commercial claims. He chairs Norton Rose Fulbright's US Pro Bono Committee, which focuses on increasing access to justice for persons of limited means, and has served as a director of the State Bar of Texas and president of the Austin Bar Association.
JD, with honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 2001
BA, summa cum laude with university honors in Political Science, American University, 1998
Adam was admitted to practice law in Texas in 2001. While in law school, he was honored as a member of Order of the Coif and was an editor of the Texas Law Review.
- Texas State Bar
- Defended property insurers against numerous class actions concerning coverage disputes and claims handling practices arising out of natural disasters.
- Represented hospital system in multidistrict litigation involving the nation's largest outbreak of fungal meningitis.
- Represented air ambulance companies in multiple lawsuits concerning the No Surprises Act.
- Defended insurer against nationwide class action by insurance agents disputing calculation of profitability bonuses.
- Defended insurer against federal court class action claiming unfair rate discrimination.
- Represented hospital system in numerous contractual disputes regarding payment of proper reimbursement rates.
- Represented manufacturer in suit against electrical company for negligent installation of equipment causing millions in property damage.
- Defended insurer against class claims by policyholders for bad faith adjustment of automobile hail damage.
- Defended multiple insurers against class claims by policyholders for failing to include overhead and profit on property damage estimates.
- Represented company in suit against manufacturer for defective industrial equipment and inadequate warnings.
- Represented CEO in dispute involving whether a complex international transaction resulted in a "change in control" under an executive compensation plan.
- Chambers USA, Texas: Austin and Surrounds, Litigation: General Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2021- 2023
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, Best Lawyers, 2022 - 2024
- Acritas Star, Acritas, 2021
- Business Journal Influencers: Law, The Business Journals, 2019
- Local Litigation Star, General Commercial, Benchmark Litigation, Euromoney PLC, 2018
- Under 40 Hot List, Benchmark Litigation, Euromoney PLC, 2016
- Texas Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2008 - 2016
- Outstanding Alumnus Award, Austin Young Lawyers Association, 2014
- President's Award of Merit, Austin Young Lawyers Association, 2013
- Outstanding Director, Austin Young Lawyers Association, 2008
- Co-author, "Review force majeure clauses before storms hit," Law360, March 1, 2021
- "Force Majeure in the Age of Coronavirus," Texas Bar Journal, May 2020
- Co-author, "Property Insurers Should Brace For Post-Harvey Storm", Law360, August 2017
- "Winning Isn't Everything, Litigation Ethics at Deposition and Trial," Texas Bar Journal, October 2015
- "Gelboim Does Little To Limit MDL Court Appeals Discretion," Law360 Expert Analysis, January 22, 2015
- "Ins and Outs of Nonparty Discovery in Texas Arbitration," Law360 Expert Analysis, March 22, 2013
- Co-author, "Stay Ahead of the Curve in Global Disputes. Download the 2011 International Arbitration Report, Issue 2.," The International Law Firm of Fulbright & Jaworski - International Arbitration, September 29, 2011
- Co-author, "Supreme Court Gives Failed Class Actions Second Chance in State Court," Fulbright Briefing, June 17, 2011
- Co-author, "Supreme Court Upholds Class Arbitration Waivers," Fulbright Briefing, April 27, 2011
- Co-author, "2011 International Arbitration Report, Issue 1," The International Law Firm of Fulbright & Jaworski, April 14, 2011
- "Fifth Circuit Narrowly Construes 'Business Risk' Exclusions in CGL Policies," Fulbright Briefing, February 2, 2009
- "Texas Supreme Court Rules Homebuilder Sued for Construction Defects Entitled to Defense Under CGL Policy," Fulbright Briefing, September 7, 2007
- Co-author, "Texas Supreme Court Refuses to Consider Insured's Stipulation Obviating Coverage in Duty to Defend Case," Fulbright Briefing, July 2006
- "Ethics Jeopardy," Austin Bar Association, June 2022
- "Ethics Update," Business Litigation Summit for In-house Counsel, March 2021
- "Real Estate and Pandemic-Related Force Majeure Claims," Austin Bar CLE, December 2020
- "Busted Energy Deals: Addressing Deals Negotiated Before the Pandemic," Norton Rose Fulbright Webinar, April 2020
- "Benefits and Challenges of Invoking Force Majeure," Texas Bar CLE, March 2020
- "Ethics Jeopardy," 40th and 41st Annual Page Keeton Civil Litigation Conferences, 2016-17
- "When Criminal and Civil Laws Collide," Austin Bar Association, 2017
- "Ethically Speaking, They Had It Coming," Austin Bar Association Bench Bar, 2015
- "Litigation Ethics 101," 38th Annual Page Keeton Civil Litigation Conference, 2014
- "E-Discovery Update," Austin Litigation School for Corporate Counsel, 2014
- "How to Avoid the Dreaded In-House Deposition," Association of Corporate Counsel, Austin Chapter, 2013
- "Third Party Discovery in Texas Arbitrations," 36th Annual Page Keeton Civil Litigation Conference, 2012
- "Avoiding In-House Liability," Cutting Edge CLE Series, 2012
- "Mastering Discovery Conferences," Office of the Attorney General, 2012
- "The Polished Brief," Fulbright CLE Series, 2012
- "Crafting the E-Discovery Plan," 35th Annual Page Keeton Civil Litigation Conference, 2011
- "Bad Lawyering Caught on Tape," Ethics CLE Panelist, State Bar of Texas and Office of the Attorney General, 2011
- "The New Amendments to the Federal Rules (E-Discovery)," Austin Bar Association, 2007
- State Bar of Texas
- Board of Directors (2019-22)
- Policy Committee Chair (2020-22)
- Austin Bar Association
- President (2018-19)
- Board of Directors (2013-2019)
- Austin Bar Foundation
- Board Chair (2019-20)
- Board of Directors (2015-2019)
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- President (2012)
- Board of Directors (2007 - 2013)
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Texas Law Review Association
- President (2022)
- Board of Directors (2015 - 2022)
- Zach Theatre
- General Counsel (2018-21)
- Vice President (2016-18)
- Board of Trustees (2013 - 2023)
Publication | November 30, 2023
Publication | October 27, 2023
Publication | March 19, 2021