Ashley Senary Dahlberg
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Litigation and disputes
- Securities litigation, regulation and enforcement
- Banking and finance
- Class actions
Ashley's practice concentrates on financial services and securities litigation, including representing US and non-US banks, broker-dealers, SEC and state registered investment advisers, municipal advisors, and investment banks in complex disputes. She also represents leading financial institutions in both issue-specific and enterprise-wide regulatory investigations, including enforcement actions brought by the SEC, FINRA and other federal and state regulators. Ashley has worked with a full-service team across our offices on numerous confidential internal investigations for financial firms, and has brought commercial cases to trial and arbitration before Texas state courts, federal courts, and FINRA forums. Ashley has also represented a diverse mix of commercial entities in complex commercial matters, with an emphasis on defending businesses and their directors and officers in Texas-based fiduciary and fraud claims litigation, and class action defense for financial services companies.
Ashley has served as acting in-house counsel to a Texas-based Fortune 500 diversified financial services group of companies. This real world experience has given Ashley a distinct advantage in her ability to quickly understand and effectively provide counsel to our financial services clients.
Ashley is passionate about the advancement of women and mothers in the profession, and was named the 2018 recipient of the Belva Lockwood Award. The highest honor of the Bexar County Women's Bar, it recognizes one lawyer for her reputation, experience, work to improve the status of women in the legal community, and contributions in the form of charitable and volunteer work. Ashley recently represented a pro bono client in a complex asylum trial related to the persecution of women in northern Africa, resulting in asylum for the client.
JD, cum laude, University of Wisconsin Law School, 2010
MA, summa cum laude, Political Science, Ohio University, 2007
BA, summa cum laude, Political Science and Women's Studies, Ohio University (Honors Tutorial College), 2007
- Texas State Bar
Highlights of her practice include:
- Handled internal investigations concerning a wide range of topics, including sales practices and regulatory issues.
- Represented clients in investigations and examinations brought by self-regulatory organizations, federal agencies, and state agencies.
- Extensive secondment with Texas-based Fortune 500 diversified financial services group of companies.
- Represented bank lender in connection with class action claims in multiple forums.
- Defense of Texas bank in connection with defense of CARES Act/PayCheck Protection Program-related claims in multiple forums.
- Defense of a national bank accused of aiding and abetting securities fraud in the life settlement industry involving tens of millions of dollars of alleged investor losses.
- Defense of financial institutions from claims that they aided and abetted fraudulent securities schemes allegedly perpetrated by their customers.
- Represented numerous broker-dealers and financial advisors in arbitrations before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Class Action and Commercial Litigation
- Jury trial that resulted in a complete defense verdict for the client, one of the oldest and largest independent, nonprofit applied scientific research and development organizations in the United States.
- Successfully defeating attempts to certify a class action suit against the client, one of the nation's oldest and most respected national banks.
- Defense of hospital system in connection with fraud allegations related to procurement process.
- Prosecution of a defense contractor's claims for breach of contract against an exclusive teammate related to a bid to obtain a DOD contract for testing laser guided bombs; plaintiff's judgment was obtained following a two week federal jury trial.
- Management of complex discovery in multi-district litigation.
- Representation of a leading innovator in the design and manufacture of armored cars and armor for automotive and architectural application.
- Successfully excluding experts in full or in part in both state court and bankruptcy litigation, in areas ranging from property valuation to metallurgy.
Fiduciary and Director/Officer Litigation
- Defense of an aerospace company in multi-million dollar litigation regarding alleged fraud.
- Representation of global mobility and personnel services company specializing in relocation and information technology; obtainined a complete dismissal of all causes of action, upheld on appeal before the 5th Circuit and US Supreme Court.
- Defense of investment managers from claims of breach of fiduciary duty and usurpation of corporate opportunities.
- Defense of precision-engineered lighting manufacturer in fiduciary dispute concerning closely-held business concerning the offer of securities.
- Defense of a drilling contractor accused of tortious interference with a preferential right to drill wells in the Republic of Colombia.
- Defense of investment services professionals in connection with alleged breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Belva Lockwood Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, Bexar County Women's Bar Association, 2018
- Leadership San Antonio, Class 40, San Antonio Chamber of Commerce and the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Texas Rising Star, civil litigation defense, Thomson Reuters, 2014 - 2021
- Top Women Attorney, Texas Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2020
- Best S.A. Lawyers, Business Litigation, San Antonio Scene Magazine, 2019 - 2020
- Best S.A. Lawyers, Securities Litigation, San Antonio Scene Magazine, 2020
- Rising Star, S.A. Scene, Scene Monthly LLC, 2012 - 2013, 2017 - 2018
- Author, "Glass Everywhere: Reflections on Waiting for our First Female Vice President," San Antonio Lawyer, January/February 2021
- Author, "Beyond Teas and Spas: A Richer Understanding of Women and Mothers in the Law," San Antonio Lawyer, November/December 2019
- Author, "Fines to flourish as FINRA draws on reserves to tackle budget shortfall?" Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, April 2019
- Author, "Are You My Fiduciary? Informal Fiduciary Litigation in Texas," Texas Lawyer, June 15, 2017
- Co-author, "Fighting Elder Abuse And Defending The Decision To Freeze," Law360, June 21, 2016
- "To Keep a Client, Keep Interests Aligned and Avoid Preference Pitfalls," The Journal of Corporate Renewal, May 2015
- "Managing Complex Commercial Litigation," The San Antonio Lawyer, July-August 2014
- "Bankruptcy Court Jurisdiction and Recoupment: Not Just a 'Claim' by Any Other Name," The Journal of Corporate Renewal, July 2011
- "Vendor Risk Management in Complex Matters," Association of Corporate Counsel, 2020
- "Blockchain for Beginners: Real Estate Edition," TexasBarCLE, San Antonio, TX, July 11, 2019
- "The Matriarchy is Coming: On Mothering and BigLaw," Ohio University Department of Women Gender and Sexuality Studies, Homecoming Keynote Speaker, November 2018
- "Internal Investigations: Best Practices," multiple engagements, including the Association of Corporate Counsel, December 2017
- "What to Expect When You're Expecting Litigation," San Antonio Compliance Roundtable, Austin Compliance Roundtable, November 2016
- "Bad Customer Risk," various San Antonio financial institutions, 2014-2015
- "Law School 101," Ohio University Honors Tutorial College, 2012
Ashley is currently the Vice-President of the Board of Directors of Clarity Child Guidance Center, the only non-profit mental health treatment center for children and adolescents in South Texas, an organization she has served for many years.
Ashley is a member of the Steering Committee of the Bexar County Women's Bar Association LEAD Academy, a year-long leadership academy devoted to the advancement and development of women in the profession of law. Ashley was a member of the 2017 Inaugural LEAD Academy Class, where she was voted "Most Likely to Change the World for Women" by her peers.
Prior to joining the firm, Ashley served as the Articles Editor for the Wisconsin Journal of Law, Gender & Society and was named the 2009 Cardozo BMI Entertainment Law Moot Court Competition's "Best Oralist." At the University of Wisconsin, Ashley served as an attorney at the Frank J. Remington Center, one of the oldest, largest, and most diverse clinical programs in American legal education, aimed at producing lawyers who not only know the law and how the legal system operates, but who also have a sense of responsibility toward the client, the profession and the community.
March 22, 2022
November 17, 2021
November 08, 2021