Norton Rose Fulbright US MX, S.C.
Related services and key industries
Hernán concentrates his practice on energy, project finance, public procurement, regulatory and antitrust matters. He has extensive experience in the implementation and development of infrastructure projects and financing thereof, including public/private partnerships, for a variety of industries, including power, renewable energy, oil & gas, petrochemicals, water, hospitals, toll roads and public infrastructure in general. He has participated in numerous transactions, both public and private, including projects launched by state productive entities Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) and Pemex. Hernán has also represented a variety of public and private entities including federal and local governments, developers, contractors, lenders and public entities.
Hernán has been active in advising clients with respect to the implementation of innovative projects and structures derived from the set of bills comprising the so called "energy reform," recently approved in Mexico in 2013-2014 in both oil & gas and power projects.
Attorney at Law (Abogado), suma cum laude, 2002
Universidad Latinoamericana, with honor, 2001
- Cogeneration projects (2016). Representation and advise to a major international power producer in potential alliances and ventures with local partners to undertake cogeneration projects in Mexico.
- Noreste IPP Project (2015). Representation of a financial institution in its participation in the public bid for a potential IPP Project for the construction, ownership and operation of a combined cycle gas turbine power plant and related facilities to be located in the Municipality of El Carmen, Nuevo Leon.
- PMX Cogeneration (2015) Representation and advise to a major international power producer in the private bid launched by PMX Cogeneración, S.A.P.I. de C.V. in order to design, build, commission, operate and maintain a power generation plant, under a gas fired cogeneration modality, in Salina Cruz, Oaxaca, with an estimated generation capacity of 517 MW of electric energy and 850 tons per hour of steam.
- Wren House Infrastructure (2015). Representation of Wren House Infrastructure on the Mexican law aspects of the multi-jurisdictional transaction comprising a US$550 million investment by the Kuwait Investment Authority (KIA) in Gas Natural Fenosa, including approvals before the Federal Competition of Economic Commission.
- Solar Projects (2015).- Representation of a consortium of European renewable energy generators in the negotiation of solar power purchase agreements with off-takers and obtainment of regulatory approvals before the Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Etileno XXI (2012-2016). Representation of Braskem-Idesa during comprehensive legal advisory for the project "Etileno XXI," consisting of the implementation, construction, development and financing of the ethylene and polyethylene project, valued at some $4.5 billion dollars, to be developed in Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, Mexico. This deal was selected as "2012 Overall Latin American Deal of the Year" and "2012 Latin American Petrochemicals Deal of the Year" by Project Finance, "2012 Americas Petrochemical Deal of the Year" by Project Finance International, "2012 Project Finance Deal of the Year" by Latin Lawyer and "2012 Deal of the Year" by Trade Finance. Mr. González Mr. González provided advice as to the day-to-day financing and regulatory aspects of the project.
- CFE/LNG Projects (2012-2013). Representation of the CFE in relation to the evaluation of risks in liquefied natural gas re-gasification projects in Manzanillo, Colima and Altamira, Tamaulipas, as well as legal risk assessments and contractual renegotiations.
- Greenfield Solar (2013). Representation of certain European government agencies in the analysis and evaluation of their participation in various solar and wind energy projects in Mexico.
- Wind Energy Project/Piedra Larga (2010-2013). Advisor for the group of lending institutions led by the development bank Nacional Financiera (Nafin), regarding the funding given to Desarrollos Eólicos Mexicanos de Oaxaca 1, SA DE CV, a subsidiary of Renovalia Wind Internacional, LS, a Spanish wind energy company, during the construction and operation of Stage One of the Wind Energy Plant, which will generate 90 MW of energy of the 227 added MW, to be located in the State of Oaxaca, Mexico.
- Los Ramones (2012). Representation of, and advisory for, the group of banks that would serve as lenders in the original financing proposal during the evaluation and analysis of the Los Ramones natural gas transportation project.
- Third Television Network (2012). Representation of the Federal Telecommunications Commission in the preparation of all documents needed to carry out the tender of one or more broadcasting frequencies. This included aspects relating to telecommunications and broadcasting, economic competition, and public tenders.
- Boeing Company (2012). Representation of the Boeing Company during negotiations and advisory for the sale of the presidential aircraft to the Federal Government.
- El Zapotillo (2011). Advisory and representation of the consortium formed by Korea Water Resources Corporation, Samsung C&T Corporation, TECHINT, Samsung Engineering Co., Ltd., and VISE in the evaluation, risk analysis, and preparation of the proposal for the international public tender for the design, financing, construction, installation, operation, conservation, and maintenance of a water treatment plant with installed capacity of 3.8 m3/s, as well as all related facilities, including an aqueduct located in the States of Jalisco and Guanajuato, Mexico.
- GMR (2010). Representation and advise to GMR Infrastructure Ltd. with regards to the sale of its portfolio Integren B.V., which included the "La Rosita" and "Bajío" PPP energy supply projects.
- Los Vergeles (2010). Representation of Goldman, Sachs & Co. in the analysis of their participation in the wind project to provide electricity to several municipalities in the State of Tamaulipas, to be developed by Energías Renovables SOE de Mexico, S.A. de C.V., and constructed by Iberdrola.
- Boeing (2009-2010). Representation and advisory for Boeing Satellite Systems International, Inc. (Boeing) in the evaluation, analysis, and review of all legal matters relating to the direct awarding and negotiations of a purchase agreement whereby Boeing will provide to Mexico, through the Ministry of Communications and Transportation, a new system of Mexican satellites made up of three "fourth generation" satellites to be launched in 2012, 2013, and 2014, as well as ground stations.
- La Yesca (2008). Representation and advisory for a consortium led by Ingenieros Civiles Asociados regarding the financing of approximately one billion dollars to be allocated to the construction of the "La Yesca" hydroelectric plant, with capacity to generate as much as 750 MW, to be located in the State of Jalisco, Mexico, under the public financing works program tendered by theCFE, including the modifications and adjustments made to the Project thus far.
- Acquisition of the Transalta Mexican Projects (2008). Advisor to Calyon, West LB and Export Development Corporation regarding the financing of the prepayment and acquisition of the PPP projects in Chihuahua and Campeche on the part of Intergen B.V., for a total of approximately $340 million dollars.
- El Ahogado (2008). Representation and advisory for POSCO Inc. regarding the analysis and preparation of the proposal for the "El Ahogado" treatment plant, to be located in the State of Jalisco. The project had an approximate value of $120 million dollars.
- Ciudad Victoria and Ixtapaluca Hospitals (2007 and 2008). Regarding public/private ventures under the PPP system, Mr. González represented the Ministry of Health in the structuring and implementation of the Second Generation of Highly Specialized Hospitals in several states in Mexico, using the PPP system (including the regional hospitals of Ciudad Victoria and Ixtapaluca).
- EDF Mexican Projects (2007). Representation and advisory for the consortium made up of Marubeni Corporation and International Power, regarding the audit for the acquisition of the EDF portfolio in Mexico (including the "Río Bravo", "Saltillo", "Río Bravo III",""Río Bravo IV," and "Altamira" PPPs). (Named Project of the Year by LatinLawyer, 2008).
- Laguna Verde (2007). Advisor to Citibank and Banco Nacional de México regarding their participation in the reconfiguration of the "Laguna Verde" thermonuclear plant. The operation had an approximate value of US$900 million under the concession of Public Works, tendered by the Federal Competition Commission (CFC).
- La Venta III/ World Bank (2006). Representation of the World Bank in the analysis and evaluation of the electricity purchase agreement to be used in the tender of the first independent wind energy production project to be implemented by the CFE in La Ventosa, Oaxaca.
- Recommended Lawyer, International Firms, The Legal 500 Latin America - Projects and Energy, The Legal 500, 2018 - 2021
- The Best Lawyers in Mexico, Energy Law, Best Lawyers, 2020 - 2021
- Co-author, "Electricity Projects & Regulation 2017: Mexico," Latin Lawyer Reference, Aug. 18, 2017
- Global Renewable Energy Guide (Mexico Chapter). 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Co-author "Energy Reform with respect to Hydrocarbons" August 2014
- Co-author "Energy Reform with regards to Power" August 2014
- Co-author "New Federal Antitrust Bill" March 2014
- Hernan is a frequent speaker at forums and client events with respect to the new legal framework applicable to the energy sector in Mexico.
- Former associate Professor at the Ibero-American University (Universidad Iberoamericana), Mexico City Campus (Contract Law).
February 08, 2021
November 20, 2020
October 12, 2020
Publication | March 23, 2021
Publication | February 5, 2021
Publication | January 19, 2021
Publication | October 29, 2020