Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Banking and finance
- Bermuda Form
- International arbitration
- Litigation and disputes
- White-collar crime
Key industry sectors
Lisa Schapira focuses her practice on commercial litigation and international arbitration, including Bermuda Form arbitration. Her experience includes insurance coverage disputes, environmental litigation, business torts and contract matters, as well as white collar criminal investigations and regulatory enforcement.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- JD, cum laude, University of California, Hastings College of Law, 2007
- Hastings Law Journal, Senior Editor
- Rendigs Products Liability Moot Court Champion
- BS, with honors, Cornell University, 2003
- California State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Represented insurer in connection with Bermuda Form arbitration involving personal injury claims by insured organization arising out of sexual abuse perpetrated by one of its members against minor children.
- Represented medical device company in connection with an international arbitration over breach of contract relating to supply contracts.
- Represented a major builder and operator of multi-unit housing in a dispute involving claims of discrimination based on family status.
- Represented international financial institution in connection with DOJ investigation in to tax evasion and related criminal activity.
- Represented a major municipal bond insurer against attempts to impair water and sewer bonds in the Chapter 9 municipal bankruptcy proceedings for the City of Detroit.
- Represented a major Argentinean oil and gas producer in a dispute in involving claims of fraudulent conveyance and piercing the corporate veil in connection with environmental damage to the Passaic River in New Jersey.
- Successfully challenged Section 1782 application seeking documents located outside of the United States.
- Member of a trial team that won a US$10.1 million patent infringement jury verdict.
- Successfully drafted dispositive motions for European commercial bank against alleged business torts and fraud stemming from a real estate transaction.
- Successfully challenged court's jurisdiction over a foreign inventor and obtained dismissal of a patent infringement action.
- Obtained favorable settlement for medical device company accused of wrongfully escheating stock.
- Obtained favorable settlement for small transportation company accused of violating meal and rest break regulations.
- Represented a big four auditing firm in class action and regulatory investigation involving a failed bank.
- Provided guidance to companies and individuals regarding compliance with US sanctions relating to Russia’s actions in Ukraine.
- New York Metro Rising Star, Business Litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2015 – 2017
- Co-author with Ward Atterbury and Amanda Wait, "How Minority Shareholders Can Limit FTC Antitrust Scrutiny," Law360, June 3, 2020
- Co-author, "INSIGHT: Using E-Signatures and Remote Notarization—What You Should Know," Bloomberg Law, May 11, 2020
- "Notes from the Bench," Capital Markets NewsWire, Winter 2014
- "Second Circuit Holds Domestic Securities-Based Swap Transaction Not Sufficient to Invoke Section 10(b) Fraud Liability," Capital Markets NewsWire, Winter 2014
- "Second Circuit Holds Dodd-Frank Anti-Retaliation Whistleblower Protections Do Not Apply Extraterritorially," Capital Markets NewsWire, Winter 2014
- "SEC Unfurls Welcome Mat to Foreign Tipsters and Awards $30 Million to Whistleblower," Capital Markets NewsWire, Winter 2014
- "Section 11 Liability: Potential to Expand?," Capital Markets NewsWire, Winter 2014
- "Using Section 1782 to Reach Foreign Documents of US Companies," International Litigation News, May 2014
- "Big Boy Agreement Prompts Dismissal of Investor Fraud Claims," Lexology, January 2014
- "Participants in ERISA Plans Were Not Madoff Customers," Financial Services Litigation NewsWire, October 2012
- "Goldman Agrees to Pay $22 Million for Lacking Adequate Procedures for Research 'Huddles'," Financial Services Litigation NewsWire, June 2012
- Judicial Extern for the Honorable Thelton E. Henderson, U.S. District Judge, Northern District of California.