Douglas B. Buchanan, QC
Co-Head, North American Infrastructure
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Douglas B. Buchanan, QCvCard
Related services and key industries
Douglas Buchanan, QC is the co-head of Norton Rose Fulbright's North American infrastructure group. His practice focuses on project development, project finance and M&A with an emphasis on infrastructure, public-private partnerships (PPP), natural resources and power generation.
Prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright Mr. Buchanan was the co-head of the global infrastructure and project finance group at an international law firm based in New York City, and prior to that, he had built a leading infrastructure and P3 group at a national Canadian law firm. Mr. Buchanan has acted as lead counsel or a primary legal team member on over 60 P3 transactions in the US and Canada, a number of which have been recognized as international award-winning transactions.
Mr. Buchanan is admitted to practice law in both British Columbia and Ontario and is licensed to practice as a legal consultant in the state of New York.
LL.B, University of British Columbia, 1984
B. Comm., University of British Columbia, 1976
- British Columbia
- Ontario 2000
- New York state legal consultant 2013
- New York Foreign Legal Consultant
Mr. Buchanan has acted as lead counsel or a primary legal team member on over 70 P3 transactions in the US, Canada and Latin America, a number of which have been recognized as international award-winning transactions. The following is a sampling of some of the P3 and other major transactions on which Mr. Buchanan acted as lead counsel or a primary legal team member:
- Bogota Metro –advising a shortlisted sponsor team on the $5bn Bogota Metro P3 Project.
- Maryland Purple Line Rail PPP Project – advising the sponsor team comprising InfraRed Capital, Walsh Group, Alstom, Vinci and Keolis on the procurement for the Purple Line Light Rail project in Baltimore Maryland. The $2.3bn project is being delivered using a DBFOM model.
- Canada Line Rail PPP Project – advising SNC-Lavalin, the successful sponsor, on the first DBFM rail-based rapid transit service P3 project in North America, which connects Vancouver with central Richmond and the Vancouver International Airport. This $1.8 billion project was awarded "North American Transport Deal of the Year" by Project Finance Magazine and "Infrastructure Deal of the Year - Americas" by PFI Magazine.
- Evergreen Line Rail PPP Project – advising SNC-Lavalin, the successful sponsor, on this $1.2bn DBF rail-based rapid transit service in Vancouver connecting a new municipality to the existing SkyTrain rail network.
- Edmonton - Valley Line Rail PPP Project –advising Dragados, Aecon and Flatiron as the DBJV to the ACS/Meridiam consortium on all aspects of the project, including the concession agreement, the construction agreement, vehicle and system supply agreements and the interface agreements and related interface issues with Keolis, the OM contractor, as well as led the negotiations with the authority on behalf of the DBJV;
- Toronto Eglinton Rail PPP Project – advising Bechtel Corporation, a key member of the DBJV to one of the short-listed proponents for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT project, a $5bn, 30 year DBFM project in Toronto, Ontario.
Other Transportation Projects
- Philadelphia 30th Street Station P3 – currently advising a shortlisted sponsor on the Philadelphia William H. Gray III 30th Street Station P3 (which includes commercial and real estate development) being brought to market by Amtrak:
- Billy Bishop Airport Access Tunnel – advising the successful sponsor consortium on this tunnel to the Toronto Island Airport.
- Highway 407 ETR – lead counsel to the Bank of Montreal led international banking syndicate providing the construction financing for Highway 407 in Toronto, Ontario. This transaction was awarded "North American Transport Deal of the Year" by Project Finance Magazine.
- Golden Ears Bridge - advising Bilfinger Berger BOT Inc., the successful proponent, in respect of all aspects of the Golden Ears Bridge Project in Vancouver, British Columbia. At approximately C$1 billion, this was one of the largest infrastructure project financings in Canadian history. Financing was by way of a UK bank syndicate with a monoline credit enhancement. This transaction was awarded "North American PPP Deal of the Year" by Project Finance and "North American Deal of the Year" from PFI Magazine.
- Edmonton Ring Road #2 (also known as the Anthony Henday Drive North West) – advising the successful proponent (this project was awarded "PPP Deal of the Year – Americas" by PFI Magazine.
- Calgary Ring Road #1 (also known as Northeast Stoney Trail Highway) - advising the successful proponent
- Kicking Horse Canyon Highway Upgrade - advising the successful proponent, on the Kicking Horse Canyon Phase 2 project, a combination highway and bridge DBFM project.
Social / Utility / Resource Projects
- Alberta Schools #1 - advising Babcock & Brown, the successful proponent, with respect to all aspects of the $500 million Alberta Schools Project in Calgary and Edmonton and its UK bank financing. This project was awarded the "North American Social Infrastructure Deal of the Year" by Project Finance Magazine.
- Quinte Court House - advising Brookfield Financial, the successful proponent, in connection with this courthouse project in Kingston, Ontario.
- Surrey Pre-Trial - advising Brookfield Financial, the successful proponent, in connection with the Surrey Pre-Trial project (June 2011). This project was a Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships "Gold Award Winner for Innovation and Excellence in PPP.
- Kelowna-Vernon Hospitals Project - advising Bilfinger Berger and John Laing, the successful proponent on the $435m Kelowna-Vernon Hospitals Project, which includes a new Patient Care Tower, a new University of B.C. Okanagan Clinical Academic Campus and parkade at Kelowna General Hospital and a new Patient Care Tower at Vernon Jubilee Hospital.
- Rialto Water System P3: advising Ullico, the majority equity investor in the successful proponent relating to the DBFOM City of Rialto Water and Wastewater Systems Project in California. The 30 year concession, $130m project with the city is to outsource and upgrade the city's water and wastewater services.
- Partnerships British Columbia – advising Partnerships British Columbia in connection with the development and drafting of the British Columbia Model Concession Agreement and advising on all policy and risk issues arising in connection with the British Columbia government's infrastructure program
- Iqaluit Airport P3 – advising InfraRed Capital in the conduct of its sale by auction of its interest in Iqaluit Airport P3. (2019).
- Student Transportation Inc. - advising Ullico Investments, a co-investor with CDPQ, in their approximately $2bn. cross-border / take private transaction to acquire Student Transportation Inc. (TSX:STB) (NASDAQ:STB) (2018).
- Brookfield - Odebrecht Ambiental, Brazil – advising Brookfield, the successful acquirer of a 70 percent stake in Brazilian water and sewage concession company Odebrecht Ambiental. (2017)
- Plutonic Run of River Project - advising Fiera Axium and a consortium of Canadian pension funds in their acquisition of GE Canada's interest in the Plutonic 240MW run-of-river power project in British Columbia
- Dokie Wind Project - advising Fiera Axium and a consortium of Canadian pension funds in their acquisition of GE Canada's interest in the Dokie 150MW wind power project in British Columbia.
- Brookfield - Weyerhaeuser Acquisition – advising Brookfield Asset Management on its C$1.4 billion acquisition of Weyerhaeuser's British Columbia private timberland assets.
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020 - 2021: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law; Infrastructure Law; Project Finance
- Appointed Queen's Counsel in British Columbia in 2007
- Prior to moving to New York in 2013, was one of only five Canadian lawyers ranked "Band 1" for "Projects" by Chambers Global: Worlds' Leading Lawyers
- Chambers Global, USA, Projects: PPP, Chambers and Partners, 2018, 2020 - 2021
- Chambers Global, Canada, Projects: PPP & Infrastructure, Chambers and Partners, 2018 - 2021
- Chambers Global, USA, Projects, Chambers and Partners, 2018 - 2021
- Chambers USA, USA - Nationwide, Projects: PPP, Chambers and Partners, 2019 - 2021
- Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Project Finance Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2020-2021
- "Convenient Realities" (co-authors: Ivan E. Mattei, Michael P. McGuigan), Project Finance Magazine, December 2013.
- New York State Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Law Society of British Columbia
Webinar | June 08, 2021
Publication | July 03, 2020
Publication | May 18, 2020
Publication | October 10, 2019