Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Glen Barrentine has extensive experience involving regulatory, compliance and enforcement issues affecting financial service companies, particularly broker-dealers, investment advisers, municipal advisors, and securities exchanges. Glen frequently represents and advises clients in connection with SEC and FINRA enforcement proceedings and other regulatory inquiries, such as inspections and examinations, as well as on transactions involving the purchase, sale or restructuring of financial service companies. Glen also provides clients with counseling and advice across the full range of regulatory and compliance issues arising under the rule sets issued by the SEC, FinCEN, FINRA and the various securities exchanges, e.g., the NYSE.
Particular areas of focus include insider trading, registration and membership, anti-money laundering, broker-dealer net capital requirements, sales practices, research, trading and trade reporting, Rule 15a-6 and cross border activities by foreign broker-dealers, pay to play restrictions, supervision, and soft dollars. Other areas of focus include the preparation of supervisory and compliance procedures and drafting and negotiating clearing, account, prime brokerage, and other industry agreements.
JD, magna cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 1983
BA, Philosophy, St. John's College, 1980
- Colorado State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Represented a clearing corporation in connection with a negotiated SEC enforcement action involving SARs filings.
- Represented a large investment bank in connection with inquiry by the Financial Oversight and Management Board for Puerto Rico.
- Represented a large market making firm in connection with several SEC regulatory inquiries including an inquiry related to intermarket sweep orders.
- Performed regulatory due diligence for clients in connection with their purchases of broker-dealers and other financial service companies.
- Obtain FINRA approval of continuing membership applications for clients.
- Represented registered representatives in FINRA enforcement proceeding involving selling away, outside business activities, and structuring among other issues.
- Represented individual in negotiated SEC enforcement action relating to non-compliance with Rule 144 involving the sale of unregistered securities.
- Co-author, "SEC Relief For Digital Custody Co. Takes Guarded Approach," Law360, November 14, 2019
- Author, "SEC Sheds Light on Compliance-Related Liability," Law360, November 14, 2018
- Co-author, "SEC Is Focusing On Cybersecurity — And So Should You," Law360, March 25, 2014
- "Buying Data: Compliance Protocols Forum," NSCP Annual Conference October 29-31, 2018
- "Privilege and Work Product Protections: Ethical Considerations for In-House Teams," SIFMA C& L Annual Seminar March 19-22, 2017
- "Regulatory Reform and the Emerging Role of Risk Management for CCOs," Compliance 360 Webinar, November 2, 2011
- National Society of Compliance Officers (NSCP), two term board member
- Host of NSCP's monthly broker-dealer forum
Publication | January 4, 2021
Publication | October 13, 2020
Publication | July 30, 2020
Publication | April 02, 2020