Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Marie represents clients in complex commercial litigation matters and has extensive experience defending class actions. She represents leading businesses across industries, including retail, financial services, hospitality, communications, and manufacturing, in cases in state and federal courts and arbitration. In addition to business disputes, many of these cases raise claims challenging business practices, including advertising, marketing, pricing, the collection/retention/dissemination of consumer data, credit reporting, pricing, and marketing and informational telephone calls and text messages.
Marie also assists companies with privacy compliance and counsels clients on best practices with respect to state-of-the-art terms and conditions, arbitration provisions, privacy policies, and other consumer contracts. In addition, Marie maintains an active pro bono practice, with an emphasis on assisting survivors of commercial sexual exploitation with their complex and varied legal needs.
While in law school, Marie served as a judicial intern for the Hon. Michael M. Baylson in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. She has also been a guest lecturer at Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law.
JD, summa cum laude,Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, 2017
BS, Enology, California State University, Fresno, 2009
BBA, highest honors, Business Honors/Management Infomation Systems, University of Texas at Austin, 2002
- Texas State Bar
- Represented a large financial services company in multiple putative class actions challenging certain fees and charges.
- Represented a national retailer in multiple privacy-based putative class actions in multiple jurisdictions.
- Represented businesses in connection with actions challenging credit checks and collections activities.
- Represented several businesses in different industries in putative class actions and threatened class actions challenging calls and text messages under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).
- Represented a leading telecommunications company in actions concerning business practices and collections activities.
- Represented businesses in connection with website and mobile app accessibility under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Advised several businesses on California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) compliance programs.
- Advised multiple businesses in the retail, education, and hospitality industries on customer communications and marketing practices in light of federal and state privacy laws.
- Worked closely on advocacy efforts on behalf of a leading trade association in the courts and before a regulatory agency.
- Advised retailers and consumer companies on operations issues in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Co-author, "USA: Consumer Protection 2021," International Comparative Legal Guide, May 5, 2021
- Co-author, "USA - Pennsylvania: Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2021," International Comparative Legal Guide, 2021
- Co-author, "Braille Gift Card Rulings Guide Defense of ADA Claims," Law360, May 7, 2020
- Co-author, "'Banana Republic Does Not Sell Bananas' Court Dismisses ADA Gift Card Claims," JD Supra, April 28, 2020
- Co-author, "2nd Circ. Ruling Widens TCPA Autodialer Circuit Split," Law360, April 23, 2020
- Co-author, "Where is the Justice in Criminal Justice," Routledge International Handbook of Human Trafficking, 2020
- Co-author, "Retail Loyalty Programs Will Survive Calif. Privacy Law," Law360, Sept. 26, 2019
- Speaker, Guest Lecture on Class Actions Topics at Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law , October 1, 2020
- Speaker, Presentation on the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act and Artificial Intelligence, August 19, 2020
- San Antonio Bar Association
- President of the Villanova Law Chapter of the Order of the Coif
- Vice President of the Villanova Law Women's Network