Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Marie is an experienced litigator who represents clients in complex commercial litigation matters, class actions, and employment disputes in state and federal court, as well as arbitration. In addition, she assists clients in appellate proceedings at both the state and federal level. Her federal appellate practice has included representing amici in practice-changing appellate disputes with critical implications for a broad range of industries. Marie's commonsense approach to practice is informed by her extensive and varied career as a business professional and entrepreneur prior to law school. Consistent with her professional background, Marie represents leading businesses across industries, including retail, financial services, hospitality, communications, and manufacturing. In addition to business disputes, Marie's experience includes cases that raise claims challenging business practices, including advertising, marketing, pricing, handling of consumer data, credit reporting, and marketing and informational telephone calls and text messages.
Marie is a fierce advocate for diversity, equity, and social justice, with a particular emphasis on women's issues. As a law student, she was honored with the Herman Mitchell Schwartz Award, which is presented annually to the student in the graduating class who, in the opinion of the faculty, has contributed the most to the achievement of equality of opportunity and treatment for women in the Law School, in the legal profession, or in society at large. She has since continued her commitment to advancing women's equity. Marie is the local leader for the Women in Norton Rose Fulbright (WiN) Network. She is also actively involved in the Bexar County Women's Bar Association and is the President of the Villanova Law Women's Network ("VLWN"), which is the official alumnae network of the Charles Widger School of Law. Marie sat on the committee to form the VLWN and was subsequently elected by the committee to serve as the inaugural Vice President before taking on her current role as President. In addition, Marie sits on the Board of Governors for SA Youth, an organization dedicated to helping San Antonio's low-income children stay in school and helping young adults who have been displaced from school gain a second chance through high-school credit recovery and workforce training. Marie also maintains an active pro bono practice, with an emphasis on assisting survivors of commercial sexual exploitation with their complex and varied legal needs.
While in law school, Marie served as a judicial intern for the Hon. Michael M. Baylson in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. She has also been a guest lecturer at Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law.
JD, summa cum laude,Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, 2017
BS, Enology, California State University, Fresno, 2009
BBA, highest honors, Business Honors/Management Infomation Systems, University of Texas at Austin, 2002
- Pennsylvania State Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Represented multiple national trade associations in connection with an amicus brief in a federal appellate case with broad implications for the industries.
- Represented a national retailer in two related federal appeals from class actions pending in two federal district courts.
- Represented a large retailer in state appellate proceedings involving fundamental rights.
- Represented a hospitality services company in securing an early dismissal of a stale construction dispute.
- Represented a large regional retailer in multiple commercial contract disputes.
- Represented a large financial services company in multiple putative class actions challenging certain fees and charges.
- Represented a national retailer in multiple privacy-based putative class actions in multiple jurisdictions.
- Represented businesses in connection with actions challenging credit checks and collections activities.
- Represented several businesses in different industries in putative class actions and threatened class actions challenging calls and text messages under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).
- Represented a leading telecommunications company in actions concerning business practices and collections activities.
- Represented businesses in connection with website and mobile app accessibility under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Advised several businesses on California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) compliance programs.
- Advised multiple businesses in the retail, education, and hospitality industries on customer communications and marketing practices in light of federal and state privacy laws.
- Worked closely on advocacy efforts on behalf of a leading trade association in the courts and before a regulatory agency.
- Advised retailers and consumer companies on operations issues in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Co-author, "Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals Weighs Asking Illinois Supreme Court to Resolve Construction of the Biometric Information Privacy Act," Pratt's Privacy & Cybersecurity Law Report, Dec. 7, 2021
- Co-author, "USA: Consumer Protection 2021," International Comparative Legal Guide, May 5, 2021
- Co-author, "USA - Pennsylvania: Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2021," International Comparative Legal Guide, 2021
- Co-author, "Braille Gift Card Rulings Guide Defense of ADA Claims," Law360, May 7, 2020
- Co-author, "'Banana Republic Does Not Sell Bananas' Court Dismisses ADA Gift Card Claims," JD Supra, April 28, 2020
- Co-author, "2nd Circ. Ruling Widens TCPA Autodialer Circuit Split," Law360, April 23, 2020
- Co-author, "Where is the Justice in Criminal Justice," Routledge International Handbook of Human Trafficking, 2020
- Co-author, "Retail Loyalty Programs Will Survive Calif. Privacy Law," Law360, Sept. 26, 2019
- Speaker, Supply-Chain Strategies & Slip-Ups: Avoiding Common Contract Pitfalls, March 29, 2022
- Speaker, Guest Lecture on Class Actions Topics at Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law , October 1, 2020
- Speaker, Presentation on the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act and Artificial Intelligence, August 19, 2020
- Bexar County Women's Bar Association
- San Antonio Bar Association
- SA Youth Board of Governors
- Women in Norton Rose Fulbright (WiN) Network Local Leader, San Antonio
- President of the Villanova Law Women's Network
- President of the Villanova Law Chapter of the Order of the Coif
Publication | August 12, 2022
Publication | December 7, 2021
Publication | September 16, 2021