Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Louise Hazelton is an insurance lawyer based in Brisbane. She is part of our disputes team working across New South Wales and Queensland. Louise works closely with Paul Baram and has been with the firm since 2013.
Louise has worked in the insurance arena for approximately 12 years including defending clients in public liability, latent diseases and medical negligence proceedings for both government and private clients.
Louise enjoys the specialised nature of medical negligence work and the complexities of combining multiple treatment periods and differing practitioners/health services/hospitals with pre-existing conditions in order to assess claims.
- 2006 Admitted, Supreme Court of Queensland
- 2005 Bachelor of Laws, Queensland University of Technology
- 2005 Bachelor of Justice, Queensland University of Technology
- Supreme Court of Queensland 2006
- Verdicts for our defendant clients in:
- Rhonda Heinz v Dr Penny Druce – 2012/365301 – Judge Leatherbarrow, District Court of NSW
- Rothonis v Lattimore  NSWSC 1409 – Justice Fagan, Supreme Court of NSW
- Hobson v NSLHD  NSWSC 589 – Justice Harrison, Supreme Court of NSW
- Inquests – acting for the NSW Ministry of Health, Hospitals, the Mental Health Service, doctors, nurses and allied health practitioners.
- Failure to warn – where a medical practitioner failed to warn his patient of the risks of a procedure but where it was considered that even if the warning had been given the patient was likely to have proceeded in any event.
- Failure to diagnose – an exploration how the benefit of hindsight can make a diagnosis seem simple but that the key to expert evidence is placing the expert in the position that the medical practitioner was in at the time of assessing the patient.
- Surgical mishap – the effect of a patient's atypical anatomy and whether this extends the surgical mishap into the sphere of a non-forseeable risk.
- Women in Insurance QLD (committee member)
- Medico Legal Society of NSW and QLD
- Law Society QLD