Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Éric Dunberry is an experienced jurist, strategist and negotiator concentrating on risk management and dispute resolution for companies in the public and private sectors, most notably in connection with national class actions, particularly in matters relating to energy, manufacturer’s liability, and infrastructure and transportation projects. He represents an extensive institutional clientele before the courts of original jurisdiction and courts of appeal and regulated companies before regulatory agencies, notably regarding competition, the obtaining of regulatory approvals, permits, rates or licences, as well as matters relating to investigations, market surveillance and complaints.
He holds undergraduate and master's degrees in civil engineering and law, and these skills enable him to intervene in complex legal matters raising issues involving engineering, technology, regulatory and compliance issues. He is also frequently called upon to negotiate and draft tender documents and service, corporate, construction and supply contracts.
Éric Dunberry has also held important management roles in the firm, as head of the litigation group, and later as a member of the executive and management committees. Over the years, he has played an instrumental role in the legal field, in providing legal expertise and in ensuring better access to justice through his work as a lawyer, teacher, author, researcher and speaker.
The Quebec Bar awarded him with the "Advocatus Emeritus" (Ad.E.) distinction for professional excellence and exceptional contribution to the legal community. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a group composed of the leading litigators in North America.
- Quebec 1987
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Energy: Provincial Regulatory (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence), Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Advocatus Emeritus (Ad. E.), distinction awarded by the Quebec Bar for professional excellence and an exceptional contribution to the legal field
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a group composed of the leading litigators in North America
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2019: recommended in Class Actions; Energy (Electricity); Energy (Oil & Gas); Litigation - Corporate Commercial; Litigation - Product Liability
- Best Lawyers in Canada (2012, 2018) - according to the year - Litigation: Class Actions, Directors' and Officers' Liability, Energy Regulatory Law, Product Liability Law or Technology Law
- The Legal 500, Canada - Regulatory Energy
- Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada (US Litigation Guide) (2011): Litigation – Class actions
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Quebec Bar
- Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (Quebec order of engineers)
- Accredited arbitrator in civil and commercial matters with the Institut de médiation et d'arbitrage du Québec (Quebec mediation and arbitration institute)
- Author or co-author of construction law and technology law monographs and academic articles on construction law, e-commerce and class actions, among other topics
- Lecturer, construction law, Faculty of Law, University of Montreal (1997-2000)
- Lecturer, professional liability law, École polytechnique of University of Montreal (1990-1995)
- Examiner, Montreal Bar School (1993-1995)
- Instructor, Institut du commerce électronique de Montréal (electronic commerce institute of Montreal) as part of the training programs provided to the company (2000-2001)
- Designated mentor within the firm for young lawyers in the development and practice of law