Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Ian Gosselin handles complex litigations, primarily in construction law and product liability. He has extensive experience in commercial litigation and is also involved in the defence of class actions. Mr. Gosselin has frequently pleaded before civil courts and arbitration tribunals and has cumulated more than 500 days before the courts over the course of his career. He also acts as mediator in civil and commercial disputes.
Due to his considerable experience in construction and engineering, Mr. Gosselin is often called upon to help structure infrastructure projects and draft various related documents and contracts.
- LL.B., Université Laval, 1991
- Quebec 1992
Mr. Gosselin has represented the following clients:
- Groupe Dallaire inc., in connection with the development and implementation of its innovative, mixed-use project Le Phare, in Quebec City, valued at $750 million
- Réseau de Transport de la Capital (RTC), in connection with the realization of Quebec City's impactful Réseau's public transit project, which includes a 23-km tramway line, valued at more than $3 billion
- Medicago Inc., in connection with the development and construction of its manufacturing complex in the Espace d'innovation d'Estimauville, valued at more than $245 million
- A large, multidisciplinary general contractor, in connection with a multifunctional amphitheater in the Greater Montreal area, targeted by disputes of more than $45 million between all the project stakeholders, including the surety company, following a major delay of more than two years in the completion of work
- Quebecor Group, in negotiations with the City of Québec for the management and operation of a $400-million multifunctional amphitheater and in legal proceedings taken by opponents of the project
- The Sept-Îles port authority in defence as part of a claim of over $50 million for additional costs by the general contractor in relation to the construction of its multi-user, deep-water port facility, valued at more than $200 million
- Mammoet in defence as part of a $70 million claim brought by its competitor, Guay Limitée, for profits lost as a result of an alleged breach of a non-compete clause
- The port authority of Quebec, in defence as part of two class actions regarding an alleged dispersion of dust and contaminants in the neighbouring environment
- Major engineering firms in multiple disputes involving claims relating to construction projects and involving, in particular, alleged professional liability issues
- Defence of the surety bonds company Intact in the context of an action for more than $25 million brought by the general contractor for additional costs and alleged damages in the context of construction work on Route 167
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Construction law, Corporate and commercial litigation, Director and officer liability practice, 2006-2021
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Construction Law "Lawyer of the Year", 2010, 2014, 2021
- Lexpert Canada's Leading Litigation Lawyer, Special edition, December 2019
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2021: recommended in Construction Law; 2013-2021: recommended in Litigation - Corporate Commercial; 2014-2021: recommended in Litigation- Product Liability
- Client Choice Awards 2019: Construction, Quebec
- Lexpert /The American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2008
- Martindale-Hubbell — BV Peer Review Rating
- "Comment préparer et négocier une entente de répartition des responsabilités lors de délais de chantier," Journée d'étude sur les délais de construction, Quebec City, November 14, 2018 and Montreal, November 21, 2018.
- “Analyser, évaluer, interpréter et gérer les risques avant, pendant et après la formation de vos contrats de construction,” The Canadian Institute, advanced conference on claims and dispute management in the construction industry, Montreal, April 24, 2013.
- “L’élaboration de votre code d'éthique : la mise en œuvre de vos valeurs et de vos propriétés,” 16th annual conference of the Corporation des entrepreneurs généraux du Québec (CEGQ), February 21, 2013, Quebec City.
- “Développer un code d’éthique au sein de votre organisation, son contenu, son essence et ses avantages,” The Canadian Institute, Montreal, April 25, 2012.
- “Ce que vous devez savoir quant aux pénalités pour retard en matière de construction,” 15th annual conference of the CEGQ, Quebec City, February 2, 2012.
- “Des obligations fondamentales des intervenants de la construction, de leur responsabilité au cas d’un manquement à celles-ci et des modalités de la mise en œuvre des réclamations afférentes,” presentation of the master’s in construction law courses given at Laval University, Quebec City, November 28 and 30, 2011.
- “Revue des obligations légales et contractuelles du professionnel visé aux contrats normalisés de l’industrie de la construction,” 14th annual conference of the CEGQ, Montebello, Quebec City, February 18, 2011.
- “Rôle et responsabilités de l’ingénieur sur un chantier de construction,” 67th conference of the Association des constructeurs de routes et grands travaux du Québec (ACRGTQ), Quebec City, January 20, 2011.
- “L’arbitrage : Rompre avec les vieilles habitudes pour rendre le processus pleinement efficace, rapide et moins coûteux,” Canadian Bar Association, Montreal, November 25, 2010.
- “Des obligations fondamentales des intervenants de la construction, de leur responsabilité au cas de manquement à celles-ci et des modalités de mise en œuvre des réclamations afférentes,” SNC-Lavalin, Montreal, April 30, 2010, and October 29, 2010.
“Des obligations fondamentales des intervenants de la construction, de leur responsabilité au cas de manquement à celles-ci et des modalités de mise en œuvre des réclamations afférentes – partie I : Revue des obligations liant les propriétaires et les entrepreneurs généraux,” Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, April 19, 2010.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Past counsellor, Board of the Junior Bar Association of Québec
- Fellow, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers (2009 -)