Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Business ethics and anti-corruption
- Litigation and disputes
- White-collar crime
- Securities litigation, regulation and enforcement
Sophie Melchers practises mainly in the areas of commercial, corporate and securities litigation. She has represented clients before the Quebec courts and the Supreme Court of Canada in connection with disputed take-over bids, dissenting shareholder remedies, plans of arrangement, insider trading and market manipulation.
Her broad expertise in securities litigation also encompasses representation of reporting issuers and their officers in connection with investigations conducted by the AMF, Quebec's securities regulator, into insider trading, market manipulation and continuous disclosure and their representation in defence before the Tribunal administratif des marchés financiers and the penal courts in proceedings instituted by the AMF.
LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1993
Canadian Securities Course
Introduction to Derivatives, Derivatives Institute
- Quebec 1994
Ms. Melchers is currently acting or has acted in the following matters:
Corporate and Securities Litigation
- Various public issuers and some of their executives (including the former CEO of Amaya Gaming) in the context of investigations or lawsuits by the AMF in connection with alleged tipping, insider trading and market manipulation
- Transat in an order prohibiting the partial takeover by Groupe Mach
- Fibrek Inc. respecting the determination of the fair value of its shares following the exercise of dissent rights
- SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. in connection with a confidentiality order issued by the AMF
- Resolute Forest Products (formerly AbitibiBowater Inc.) in connection with the acquisition of Fibrek Inc., including on several cease trade applications in respect of poison pills and a private placement of special warrants
- Hydro-Québec in its successful motion for declaratory judgment asking the court to confirm that Hydro-Québec will not be obliged to limit its requests for energy deliveries from CF(L)Co under the long-term supply contract between Hydro-Québec and CF(L)Co to fixed monthly blocks from 2016 to 2041
- Hydro-Québec in the unsuccessful application by CF(L)Co seeking the revision of the pricing terms of the long-term supply contract between Hydro-Québec and CFLCo (in appeal)
- BMO Nesbitt Burns and one of its investment advisors in a claim involving unsuitable investment allegations
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2018-2021: recommended in Class Actions; 2012-2021: recommended in Litigation - Corporate Commercial; Litigation - Securities
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2021: most frequently recommended in the area of Litigation – Corporate Commercial
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2020: most frequently recommended in the area of Corporate Commercial Litigation; consistently recommended in the area of Securities Litigation; and repeatedly recommended in Class Actions
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Litigation: Securities (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2020-2021
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Dispute Resolution, Chambers and Partners, 2018-2021
- The Legal 500 Canada: Dispute Resolution - Quebec (Leading Lawyer), 2019-2021
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (2015) and Litigation Counsel of America (2017)
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Bet-the-company litigation,corporate and commercial litigation, 2010-2021
- Benchmark Litigation Canada, 2012-2021: recognized as a local litigation star in Quebec; Litigation star in Canada, namely in Securities 2012-2017; Top 25 Women in Litigation – Canada, 2014-2017
- "Outils dont dispose l'Autorité des marchés financiers pour recueillir de la preuve dans le cadre de ses enquêtes" (with C. Larouche and S. Pousht-Mashad), in Développements récents en enquêtes internes et réglementaires, 2019
- "The Power of Securities Commissions to Compel Testimony: A Comparative Perspective," with J. Beaudoin and F.N. Nadima, in Annual Review of Civil Litigation 2017.
- "Directors' Liability and Governance," (with T. Dorval) (2010, 2011, 2013 to 2017) and "Mergers and Acquisitions" (2018-2019) in the Directors Education Program at the Institute of Corporate Directors' Governance College, Montreal.
- "White Collar Investigation and Prosecution" (panelist, with D.J. Fetterman and S. Seida), New York Bar Association, October 26, 2018.
- "Éviter les écueils lorsqu'en possession d'information privilégiée" (panelist, with M. Bédard, AMF and J. Demers, Manac), Canadian Bar Association, November 7, 2017.
- "The Exercise of the Public Interest Jurisdiction by Regulators: Challenges, Opportunities, and Perspectives" (panelist, with S. Rousseau and N. Kanji), 2015 Biennial Commissioners Conference, Montreal, June 2, 2015, and CSA conference, Montreal, November 4, 2016.
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Quebec Committee and Canada-United States Committee
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Barreau de Montréal (Montreal bar)
- Chair of the Liaison Committee with the Tribunal des marchés financiers (2014 – 2018)
- Canadian Bar Association
Webinar | February 11, 2021
Publication | May 04, 2020
Publication | April 06, 2020