Ava G. Yaskiel
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Ava G. YaskielvCard
Related services and key industries
Ava Yaskiel practises corporate and securities law. She focuses on mergers and acquisitions, related-party transactions, corporate governance issues, corporate finance and advisory mandates for both issuers and investment bankers.
Within mergers and acquisitions, Ms. Yaskiel advises issuers on both the buy-side and sell-side. Her experience incorporates both domestic and cross-border issues in take-over bids and structured transactions such as mergers and plans of arrangement. Within corporate finance, she participates in a variety of transactions for both underwriters and issuers, including private placements, IPOs and ongoing capital funding. Ms. Yaskiel’s corporate governance experience encompasses advising issuers and boards on governance matters and acting for special and independent committees in acquisition, change of control and related-party transactions.
Prior to joining our Toronto office, Ms. Yaskiel spent over five years with the Ontario Securities Commission, holding a variety of positions including senior legal counsel in the Office of the General Counsel, where she focused on mergers and acquisitions, related-party transactions and related policy matters.
Ms. Yaskiel is a frequent speaker at securities law-related conferences. She is a past member of the securities advisory committee to the Ontario Securities Commission.
Ms. Yaskiel is a member of our Canadian management committee and a former member of our global supervisory board. She previously held the position of co‑managing partner of our Toronto office.
Commencing February 2018, Ms. Yaskiel is on a two-year leave of absence in order to assume the role of associate deputy minister of finance for Canada.
Certificate in Mining Law, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2013
LL.M., Cambridge University, 1989
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1986
Directors Education Program, Rotman School of Management, 2009
- Ontario 1988
Ms. Yaskiel has acted recently for the following clients:
- Pacific Rubiales Energy Inc. in its $1.6 billion acquisition of Petrominerales
- The independent committee of trustees of KEYreit in the successful defence against a hostile bid launched by Huntingdon Capital Corp.
- Pacific Rubiales Energy Inc. in its acquisition from BPZ Inc. of a US$335 million 49% participating interest in an offshore oil and gas field in Peruvian waters
- US‑based Sirius XM Satellite Radio Inc. regarding the merger of Sirius Canada and Canadian Satellite Radio Inc.
- A large multinational Japan‑based corporation regarding a number of confidential transactions involving acquisitions and joint ventures in the mining area
- The special committee of Canwest Global Communications Corp. in relation to its restructuring
- Canadian counsel to Warner Chilcott in its acquisition of Proctor & Gamble’s worldwide pharmaceutical business
- Alcan Inc. in its sale to Rio Tinto plc – the largest cash takeover bid in Canadian history (led one of two negotiating teams acting)
- Isadore Sharp, the controlling shareholder in the sale/privatization of Four Seasons Inc.
- Cerberus LLP in auction for BCE Inc.
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2016, 2018-2019: recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 (2017): Leading Lawyer in Mergers and Acquisitions
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 (2017): Leading Lawyer in Private Equity
- 2011 Canada’s Most Powerful Women: Top 100™ (KPMG Professionals Award)
- 2011 International Law Office Client Choice Award in the General Corporate category for Canada
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2011: Corporate Law/Mergers and Acquisitions
- Institute of Corporate Directors - ICD.D
- Advisory Board member, Girls 20
- Director, Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation (Ontario Region)