Related services and key industries
James is a finance lawyer based in London, with particular experience in aircraft finance and cross-border leasing and structured finance transactions.
James acts for financial institutions, arrangers, airlines, lessors and other investors on a range of transactions including the sale and purchase of aircraft, cross-border and domestic leasing, Islamic finance leasing, syndicated loan facilities, and export credit agency backed deals.
Listed in the Chambers and Partners UK Guide 2017 as an associate to watch, James is "widely praised" by clients as a practitioner who "shows solid technical skills and excellent transaction leadership".
- BPP Law School – Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course
- University of St. Andrews – M.A. (Hons) Mediaeval History with First Class Honours
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Amedeo Air Four Plus Limited – on the purchase, financing and leasing of several Airbus A380 and Boeing 777-300 aircraft to Emirates. One of these transactions was named "Operating Lease Deal of the Year – Middle East at the Global Transport Finance Awards 2016.
- English airline and holiday operator – on the portfolio of debt financings and JOLCO transactions to finance its new fleet of Boeing 737-800 aircraft.
- European ECAs – on the proposed financing of six Airbus A320 aircraft for an operating lessor; and on the on-going financing of a large number of Airbus aircraft for another major operating lessor.
- European bank – on the maintenance and sale of certain loan book assets secured by aircraft in Latin America and Australia.
- Flybe – on the sale and financing arrangements for one Bombardier Q400 aircraft.
- Global Knafaim Leasing – on the purchase, novation and leasing of aircraft to Comair and British Airways.
- InterGlobe Aviation Limited (IndiGo) – on operating lease and novation transactions since 2010 involving over 50 Airbus A320 aircraft with a host of lessor counterparties including ACG, AWAS, Avolon, CDB, Goshawk, HKAC, Jackson Square, Pembroke, MCAP, MUL, and SMBC.
- Islamic aviation fund – on all issues relating to the fund's structure, its operation, its disposal of aircraft assets and its financing arrangements.
- KV Aviation – on the purchase, financing and leasing of several Boeing aircraft.
- Latin American airline – on its pre-delivery payment financing of a substantial portion of its Airbus purchase order.
- LATAM Airlines Group S.A. (LATAM) – on its operating lease agreements with AerCap for six Boeing 787-9 aircraft; and on various sub-leasing and interchange arrangements in Latin America.
- Middle Eastern investor – on chartering, leasing and sale arrangements in respect of several Gulfstream corporate jet aircraft.
- Monarch Airlines – on certain of its operating lease arrangements with various lessor counterparties.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC) – on several JOLCO and finance lease transactions with Gulf airline clients.
- Various financial institutions – on their sub-participation in various French tax-lease structures, secured by aircraft assets on lease to Gulf airlines.
- Various financial institutions – on the syndicated financing of three Boeing 777-300 aircraft put on lease to Emirates.
- Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank (ADCB) – on a number of facilities with Gulf Marine Services Company and its subsidiaries to finance state-of-the-art offshore jack-up barges and crane machinery.
- Fugro – on the purchase of one dynamically position supported vessel.
- GCC joint venture company – on various aspects of its ownership and vessel leasing structure.
- Gulf Marine Services (GMS) – on several Shariah compliant sale and leaseback Ijara facilities with Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank to finance the construction of state-of-the-art offshore jack-up barges.
- Qatar National Bank – on the financing of three new container ships for United Arab Shipping Company.
- Associate to watch, Chambers UK, Asset Finance: Aviation Finance, 2017
- "The UAE – can proposed changes to the Maritime Code boost the regional shipping industry?" – Mowasalat, 2011
- "Iranian sanctions and the Gulf" – Mowasalat, 2011