Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Simon Thompson is a structured finance and capital markets lawyer based in London. He is experienced in a broad range of structured finance and capital markets transactions and product areas, principally advising issuers and underwriters on secured and unsecured bond issues but also advising investors, rating agencies, lenders, governmental authorities and corporate trustees and agents.
His experience includes corporate bonds, MTN programmes, private placements, covered bonds, credit-enhanced products, equity-linked bonds, project and infrastructure bonds, public and private securitizations, conduit and warehouse financing, portfolio acquisition finance, receivable finance and other asset-backed lending, fund and subscription finance, LPNs, regulatory capital products, CLOs, sovereign issues, Shariah-compliant products, ECP/CDs and structured programmes.
He has also acted on numerous liability management transactions, including buy-backs, tender offers, exchange offers and consent solicitations, as well as broader debt restructurings in the context of distressed or default situations.
He has completed senior secondments at HSBC's Structured Finance Group and at ANZ.
He is recommended in the UK Legal 500 (2016) under Band 2 for Securitisation.
Prior to joining the practice, Simon spent ten years as an associate working in the London and Singapore offices of a magic circle firm.
MA, University of Edinburgh
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Barclays as arranger on the 2014 update and structural changes to Piraeus Bank S.A.’s EUR 10 billion covered bond programme (also acted for Barclays on the programme establishment in 2012)
- A large European institutional investor on the private placement of debt securities in connection with transport asset financings
- Barclays as dealer manager on NRAM’s tender offer for certain Whinstone notes (UK RMBS)
- The Dealers on the 2015 update of the Islamic Development Bank’s US$10 billion Trust Certificate Issuance Programme
- The European Investment Fund on certain bilateral and embedded credit enhancement transactions
- A North American rating agency on certain legal aspects connected to its published rating criteria for European transactions
- Subex Limited on a simultaneous consent solicitation and exchange offer to holders of two series of FCCBs, resulting in the issue of a novel secured FCCB
- Novae Group plc on its “any or all” exchange offer to holders of its subordinated £100,000,000 Callable Fixed to Floating Rate Notes due 2017
- BNYM as bondholder representative on the establishment of the first Turkish “asset-guaranteed” bond programme by Sekerbank TAS
- A large Hong Kong based investor on several private placements of bonds listed on the CISEA to fund its purchase of certain UK energy assets
- Canaccord Genuity Corp. as placement agent in connection with Sacre-Coeur Minerals, Ltd. Guaranteed Secured Gold Participation Bonds
Journal of International Banking and Financial Law:
- “Sovereign immunity and enforcing foreign adverse judgments in England” (October 2011)
- “Return of the CAC: collective action clauses in sovereign bond restructurings” (February 2012)
- “He who procures the wrong is a joint wrongdoer: tortious liability for inducing breach of contract in the context of a bond restructuring” (August 2012)
Norton Rose Fulbright Webinar:
Co-presented a Norton Rose Fulbright webinar “Project Bond Financing of Renewable Energy Projects” (June 2012)