Related services and key industries
Ayaz Ibrahimov is a dispute resolution lawyer in the energy, trade and transport team based in London. He specialises in international commercial and investment arbitration. Ayaz has significant experience in contractual disputes in the energy and mining sectors. This includes disputes arising under the arbitration rules of major arbitral institutions including LCIA, ICC and the Association of Arbitrators (Southern Africa).
Ayaz read Law at Kings College London before joining the practice in 2013. Ayaz was previously seconded to ExxonMobil at its office in Leatherhead, Surrey. Ayaz is fluent in both Russian and English.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Successfully represented a dual listed gold mining company and its subsidiary in a multi-million dollar London seated arbitration claim brought against it by its earthworks and civils contractor in connection with a gold mine in West Africa. The mine owner was also awarded a substantial counterclaim and its legal costs. The arbitration included a contested challenge to jurisdiction, following which the mine owner's parent company was removed as a party to the arbitration.
- Acting for the Operator in a Commercial Court dispute relating to the provision of decommissioning security under the terms of a Joint Operating Agreement for a North Sea gas field.
- Obtaining an interim injunction on behalf of an oil and gas major to restrain its joint venture party from drilling a well in the North Sea in breach of a Joint Operating Agreement.
- Working on an arbitration commenced by the Licence Holders of a field in the North Sea in relation to a dispute arising out of a Transportation and Processing Agreement.
- Working on an off-specification gas dispute in relation to a field in the North Sea and advising on whether losses were recoverable under the terms of a Gas Sales and Purchase Agreement.
- Advising on the drafting of arbitration agreements for use in certain construction, financing and project documents in relation to the project financing of an oil-fired power station in West Africa.
- Advising on the drafting of arbitration agreements within certain financing documents in relation to the project financing of a solar photovoltaic power plant in North Africa.
- Acting for an employer in a construction dispute in East Africa in connection with the defective construction of a methane gas power plant.
- Best Individual Advocate as voted for by Arbitrators - Worshipful Company of Arbitrators (January 2015)
- The future of uranium: Can I have some yellowcake please?, January 2017
- Angola beckons foreign investment, October 2016
- Where is the diamond? A review of dispute credentials of Sub-Saharan Africa, May 2016
- Amicable settlement in international arbitration, October 2014
Publication | September 2018
Publication | May 2018
Publication | April 2018
Publication | October 2017