Related services and key industries
Hussain Kubba is an energy corporate, M&A lawyer based in London. He has significant legal experience in the oil and gas sector.
Hussain advises international and North Sea clients on a variety of corporate and commercial matters across the energy sector. His experience includes advising corporates, oil companies and investors on UK and international upstream transactions including acquisitions and disposals, farm-ins, joint ventures and commercial agreements. Hussain has significant experience in reviewing and reporting on licences, PSCs, concession agreements, JOAs, UUOAs, transportation agreements, off-take agreements and other contractor or operator contracts. Hussain has also been seconded to ExxonMobil and the Aberdeen offices of TAQA Bratani.
In addition, Hussain applies his M&A deal experience to advise on warranty and indemnity insurance policies. Hussain also advises on commercial joint venture agreements and shareholder issues.
Hussain was previously named as a Rising Star for Energy & Natural Resources in Super Lawyers. Previously, Hussain spent seven years as a professional engineer in Ontario, Canada, and is a native Arabic speaker.
- bp, Oman – on its US$2.6 billion sale of 20% stake in Oman's Block 61 to PTTEP MENA Limited, a subsidiary of Thailand's PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited.
- Tullow Oil, Gabon – advising Tullow on a swap of assets in Gabon with Perenco Oil.
- Shell, Egypt - on its US$926 million sale of upstream assets in Egypt's Western Desert to a consortium made up of Cheiron Petroleum Corporation and Cairn Energy PLC.
- Tullow Oil, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea – advising on its US$180 million asset and share sale of interests in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea to Panoro Energy plc.
- bp, Egypt - on its US$500 million sale of multiple mature oil concessions in the Gulf of Suez to Dragon Oil, including providing vendor due diligence.
- Shell, Ireland - on its $1.2bn share sale of its Corrib gas venture off the north-west coast of Ireland to the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) with operatorship to Vermilion Energy Inc.;
- Petrofac IES, Mexico - on its portfolio sale of a 49% interest in its Mexican onshore and offshore assets to Perenco Oil for up to US$274m;
- Petrofac IES, Mexico - on its US$276 million subsequent sale of its 51% interest in its Mexican assets to Perenco Oil and Gas.
- bp as ACG consortium Operator, Azerbaijan - advising on and drafting the Azeri and Chirrag fields and deepwater portion of the Gunashli field production sharing agreement and joint operating agreement;
- bp, Norway - advising on the corporate sale of bp Norge to Aker and Det Norske as part of the transaction creating Aker bp;
- Frontera Energy, Colombia - advising on the sale of its joint venture interest in COR- 15 licence block, to its partner, Maruel & Prom.
- EFG Hermes Private Equity, Egypt - advising on its share sale of its producing oil and gas North Bahariya concession onshore Egypt, including transfer of operatorship;
- Pembroke, Euclid and others - on underwriting warranty and indemnity insurance policies including where the underlying transaction has an energy aspect;
- Pacific Exploration and Production - advising on the sale of its entire interest in several concessions offshore Brazil to Karoon.
- Pacific Exploration and Production - advising on the farm-out of its interest in an onshore concession in Peru to CEPSA;
- DEA AG, UK North Sea - advising on the disposal of DEA UK to INEOS, including reviewing the SPA and advising on UK North Sea matters;
- Hess – on its disposal of its North Sea interests in the Cambo Field to OMV, including transfer of operatorship to OMV;
- Genel Energy – on the increase of its stake in, and the acquisition of operatorship of, the Chia Surkh block in Kurdistan.
- Iraqi Supreme Court casts doubt over legitimacy of Kurdistan's oil and gas sector, March 2022
- Getting the deal done: upstream M&A in Egypt, January 2022
- Oil and Gas Sale and Purchase Agreements: Allocation of and limitations on liability, and the use of indemnities (2019/202 Global Law and Business)
- Getting the Deal Through: Oil Regulation 2011 (Iraq Chapter)
- Re-discovering Iraq: legal and tax issues, November 2010
- LawNow: Investing in Iraq's Power Sector, August 2010
- LawNow: Iraqi Mixed Companies: Corporate Issues, March 2010
- LawNow: Establishing your company in Iraq, May 2009
- Law Society of England and Wales, Solicitor
- AIEN (Association of International Energy Negotiators)
- UK Energy Lawyers Group (Committee Member)
- Professional Engineers (Ontario)
Shell advised on US$926m sale of upstream interests in Egypt’s Western Desert to Cheiron Petroleum and Cairn Energy
March 18, 2021
Tullow advised on publication of Class 1 circular in connection with US$180m sale of West Africa assets
March 05, 2021
February 26, 2021
Publication | December 04, 2023
Publication | November 24, 2023
Iraq and Turkey both claim victory in the Iraq-Turkey Pipeline arbitration but the future of Kurdistan’s oil and gas sector remains unclear
Publication | June 02, 2023