Partner, Patent Agent, Lawyer, Trademark Agent
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Jung-Kay Chiu practises in all areas of intellectual property law, with a focus on intellectual property acquisition, protection and exploitation in the field of biotechnology and medical devices. Mr. Chiu’s practice includes drafting and prosecuting patent applications, industrial designs and trademarks, as well as patent licensing and other commercial transactions relating to intellectual property. Mr. Chiu is also routinely involved in preparing patent-related due diligence reports and patentability, infringement and validity opinions.
Mr. Chiu joined our Toronto office in 2003 after practising corporate commercial law and intellectual property law with another major law firm in Canada. His technical experience includes conducting post-graduate research in molecular biology at the University of Toronto, and his technical background includes genetics, molecular biology, biotechnology and biochemistry.
Mr. Chiu is the national practice head of our Canadian intellectual property practice and also sits on our national management committee.
LL.B., University of Toronto, 1999
B.Sc., University of Toronto, 1994
- Ontario 2001
- Canada (patents) 2004
- United States (patents) 2005
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Biotechnology
- Client Choice Awards, 2016 - Intellectual Property – Patents, Toronto
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Intellectual Property Law, 2018-2021
- “Patent Application Process,” MaRS Breakfast Seminar Series by Ogilvy Renault LLP, Toronto, October 12, 2006.
- “Key Aspects of IP License Agreements,” Negotiating and Drafting Key Business Agreements, The Canadian Institute Conference, Toronto, September 29, 2006.
- “How to Draft a Patent Application,” Entrepreneurship 101 Workshop, Toronto, March 4, 2006.
- “How to Draft a Patent Application,” Entrepreneurship 101 Workshop, Toronto, February´11, 2006.
- “Biotechnology and Patenting,” Patents and Trade Secrets Course at the Faculty of Law, University of Toronto, January 24, 2006.
- “Biotechnology and Patenting,” Patents and Trade Secrets Course at the Faculty of Law, University of Toronto, January 20, 2005.
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Licensing Executives Society
- Toronto Biotechnology Initiative
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys