Aaron J. BowlervCard
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Aaron Bowler is the head of our Canadian rail practice and provides rail regulatory advice to railways throughout Canada, particularly on applications under s.98 of the Canada Transportation Act; mediations; arbitrations; public and private crossing negotiations and disputes involving railways, utilities, road authorities, and municipalities; the doctrines of interjurisdictional immunity and paramountcy; and real estate.
His real estate background includes extensive experience in hospitality, commercial leasing, project development, and development financing. He plays a leading role in large acquisition, financing, development, restructuring and securitization transactions. He also provides municipal law advice to clients.
Aaron has significant REIT experience and has been involved in the establishment, financing and disposition of numerous real estate investment trusts. Aaron also works on the real estate, financing and leasing aspects of numerous insolvencies and restructurings, public finance, commercial real estate, property development law and construction law. He also advises in the area of public-private partnerships, alternative finance projects, public procurement and complex construction projects, acting regularly for both the public and private sectors.
LL.B., University of Manitoba, 2001
- Alberta 2008
- Manitoba 2002
Matters in which Mr. Bowler has acted include:
- Numerous negotiations, mediations, and disputes before the Canadian Transportation Agency
- Commercial real estate advice to Canadian Pacific Railway Company
- Rail regulatory advice to Canadian Pacific Railway Company and VIA Rail
- Purchase and financing of Encana Place, Calgary, Alberta
- Purchase and financing of Bell Tower and Oxford Tower, Edmonton, Alberta
- Sale of St. Albert Mall, Deerfoot Mall, Sunridge Mall and Millwoods Town Centre by Ivanhoe Cambridge
- Numerous construction financing matters for The Toronto-Dominion Bank
- Commercial real estate advice to Lanesborough Real Estate Investment Trust
- Commercial real estate advice to Temple Hotels Inc.
- Commercial real estate advice to Morguard Corporation
- “Privacy Law: Compliance for Competitive Advantage,” Start-Up Manitoba, spring 2004.
- “Aboriginal Entrepreneurs: Business Entity Options and Tax Considerations,” Start-Up Manitoba, winter 2003.
- “Hollywood North: Tax Incentives and the Film Industry in Canada,” Asper Review of International Business and Trade Law, Volume 2, fall 2002.
- Commercial Real Estate Transactions (panel member), Legal Education Society of Alberta, January 2013.
- Turnaround Management Association Fall Conference (panel member), September 2010.
- Commercial Real Estate Essential Tips (panel member), Legal Education Society of Alberta, June 2008.
- Canadian Bar Association
- The Law Society of Alberta
- The Law Society of Manitoba
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Winnipeg Habitat for Humanity Inc., 2007
- The Young Associates of the I.H. Asper School of Business, 2004-2007