Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Wayne Fedun has practised oil and gas law in Canada and internationally since 1992. He has negotiated and prepared a variety of energy industry agreements, including joint venture agreements, project development agreements, project finance agreements, facility agreements, engineering, procurement and construction agreements, transportation agreements, marketing agreements, Canadian East Coast off-shore agreements and various South American and Central Asian agreements. These agreements related to projects ranging from several million to several billion dollars and involved conventional energy matters, heavy oil and oil sands projects, and off-shore drilling and production projects.
Mr. Fedun has extensive experience as lead counsel in large oil and gas asset acquisitions and dispositions, including transactions in excess of $4 billion, both as stand-alone transactions and as part of securities-driven arrangements.
As a member of our Canadian banking and finance team, Mr. Fedun acts as a lender and borrower counsel in connection with debt financings, being responsible for preparing and commenting on loan agreements, security documents and considering registration and priority issues. The financing transactions he has led involve various structures, including demand facilities and long-term, secured, syndicated arrangements respecting credit facilities of up to several hundred million dollars.
Mr. Fedun also has significant experience in insolvency matters, representing secured and unsecured creditors, receivers/managers and trustees in bankruptcy.
- Alberta 1992
Matters in which Mr. Fedun has acted include:
- Brookfield Infrastructure, as lead external counsel, in the purchase of Enbridge Inc.'s Canadian natural gas gathering and processing business for C$4.31 billion, the business comprising 19 provincially or federally regulated natural gas processing plants and liquid handling facilities with total handling capacity of 3.3Bcf/day and 3550 km of natural gas gathering pipelines
- Paramount Resources Ltd., as lead external oil and gas counsel, in the purchase of Apache Canada Ltd in a transaction valued at C$459.5 million
- QPI Energy Canada Ltd., as lead external counsel, in structuring and negotiating partnership arrangements with Direct Energy Resources Partnership in connection with the acquisition of oil and gas properties from Suncor Inc. for approximately C$1 billion and a subsequent C$200 million acquisition of certain oil and gas properties of Direct Energy, and the subsequent sale of the partnership holding those interests in a transaction valued at C$722 million
- Paramount Resources Ltd. in the sale to Seven Generations Energy Ltd. of upstream Montney properties and associated facilities and gathering systems in a transaction valued at approximately $1.9 billion
- Brookfield Asset Management Inc, as lead Canadian external counsel, in the Canadian aspects of Brookfield's acquisition of Niska Gas Storage Partners LLC and its managing member, Niska Gas Storage Management LLC, in a transaction valued at US $911.9 million
- A large multinational energy company in connection with its joint venture arrangements respecting upstream oil and gas properties and downstream pipeline and LNG facilities
- A national oil company, as lead counsel, in the structuring and negotiation of acquisition and joint venture arrangements (including both an incorporated joint venture and a partnership) with a Canadian energy company
- Ember Resources Inc., as lead external counsel, in the acquisition by Ember of oil and gas properties from Encana Corporation for C$605 million and an equity restructuring of Ember
- Brookfield Americas Infrastructure Fund L.P., as lead external counsel, in the acquisition of a 40 Bcf natural gas storage facility and associated infrastructure
- OPTI Canada Inc. (now CNOOC Canada Inc.), as lead external counsel, on joint venture arrangements with Nexen Inc. respecting the C$7 billion-plus Long Lake project in northern Alberta, and all associated acquisition, joint operating, and development arrangements. Mr. Fedun also represented OPTI Canada Inc. as lead counsel in its joint venture arrangements with Nexen Inc. respecting the Cottonwood, Kinosis and Leismer projects, and in the sale by OPTI to Nexen of a 15% working interest in the Long Lake, Cottonwood, Kinosis and Leismer projects, and OPTI's operatorship of the upgrading component of each of these projects, for C$735 million
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Oil & Gas (Transactional), Chambers and Partners, 2018-2023
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Energy Law, 2018-2024; Oil and Gas Law, 2020-2023
- Chambers Global, Canada: Oil & Gas (Transactional), Chambers and Partners, 2021-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2016, 2018-2023: recommended in Energy (Oil & Gas); 2020-2023: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law
- The Legal 500 Canada: Energy: Oil & Gas (Leading Lawyer), 2019-2022
- Acritas Stars 2019-2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Who's Who Legal: Canada – Energy 2020
- Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyers, 2023