Partner, Lawyer, Trademark Agent
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
A partner in our intellectual property group, Elizabeth Williams has extensive experience advising clients on intellectual property matters in M&A transactions, IPOs and joint ventures. She also has significant experience with standalone IP matters, including drafting and negotiating IP licenses, joint development agreements, technology transfers, joint development agreements, software licenses, merchandising and brand licenses and settlement of IP disputes and litigation.
Elizabeth also assists clients in providing strategic advice concerning their intellectual property portfolios, and providing litigation support for infringement and misappropriation actions. She advises clients in diverse industries, including apparel, food and beverage, energy, hospitality, financial, sport, pharmaceutical, internet and social media. Ms. Williams' practice also embraces the full range of trademark activity, including searching and prosecution, filing programs, portfolio management, licensing, and negotiation of agreements, as well as the handling of complex multijurisdictional protection and enforcement matters.
Ms. Williams has experience in franchise law and assisting clients with a broad range of advertising and marketing legal issues, including digital marketing and social media matters, packaging and labelling matters, copy review and drafting sponsorship agreements.
Ms. Williams is ranked by Best Lawyers in Canada (intellectual property) and has been ranked by World Trademark Review (since 2016) as one of Canada's top trademark professionals.
- Alberta 2009
- Canada (trademarks) 2010
- United States (trademarks) 2011
Ms. Williams has recently acted as counsel to the following clients:
- Mistras Group in its acquisition of Onstream Pipeline Inspection for $143 million
- Energizer Corporation in its acquisition of Spectrum Brands' global battery and portable lighting business for $2 billion, adding brands such as Rayovac and Varta to its lineup
- Hockey Canada in its trademark protection and enforcement strategies and ambush marketing matters
- Cinnaroll Bakeries Limited with its global franchise matters.
- YMCA in its capital campaign, including drafting and negotiating its sponsorship agreements totaling $30 million
- Solium Capital Inc. in its strategic partnership and license agreement with Morgan Stanley for its global equity plan administration
- Solium Capital Inc. in its strategic partnership and license with UBS Financial Services Inc.
- Equicapita Income Trust and Equicapita Investment Corp. in respect of its acquisition of Smitty's Canada
- Halliburton Company in its acquisition of Europump Systems Inc.
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2019 – Intellectual Property
- World Trademark Review – Canada's Top Trademark Professionals 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Lexpert – Leading Lawyers to Watch (Intellectual Property) 2017
- "Examining different forms of protection for personality rights," Managing IP, September 2018.
- "Supreme Court of Canada confirms test for obtaining Norwich orders in context of Copyright Act," September 2018.
- "Canadian patent and trademark agents acquire privilege," Brand Protection blog, July 2016.
- "Legal issues affecting technology companies in the energy industry," video series , February 2015.
- "File early and watch closely as Canada's IP rules change," Canadian Lawyer , April 2015.
- "Be careful what you claim! A case to watch on false and misleading advertising," November 2010.
- "What is an Environmental Claim?" June 2008.
- "The Fundamentals of Sponsorship Agreements," Western Sponsorship Congress, November, 2018.
- "Managing Legal Risks," Business Transitions Forum Workshop, October, 2018.
- "Ambush Marketing and Social Media," INTA Annual General Meeting Roundtable, May 2017.
- "There's Not an App for That," Brand Plus Seminar, August 2011.
- "Optimizing Use of Trademarks and Copyright Protected Material in Your Marketing Campaign," Advertising & Marketing Law Conference, Canadian Institute, January 2009.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- International Trademark Association - committee member: Non-Traditional Trademarks Committee (past member), Amicus Committee (past member), Rights of Publicity (current member)
- Canadian Council on International Law
Webinar – M&A academy series: Intellectual Property (IP) and Information Technology (IT) in M&A transactions
Webinar | September 19, 2019
Webinar | Thursday, June 13, 2019
Publication | September 2018