Partner, Lawyer, Trademark Agent
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Intellectual property
- IP strategy and governance
- Communications, media and entertainment
- Copyright law
- Trademarks and brands
- Food and agribusiness
- Emerging tech services
Key industry sectors
Elizabeth Williams has broad practice in both business law and intellectual property law where she provides general corporate and commercial advice and advises on intellectual property matters. Ms. Williams has extensive experience advising clients in M&A transactions, complex licensing and IP commercialization matters and portfolio monetization. Her experience has included major, complex and multi-jurisdictional M&A transactions, commercial IP matters and portfolio management work across a variety of industry sectors, including consumer goods, retail, food and beverage, technology, energy, manufacturing, and sport.
Ms. Williams also assists clients in providing strategic advice concerning their intellectual property portfolios and providing litigation support for infringement and misappropriation actions.
Ms. Williams has experience in franchise law and assisting clients with a broad range of advertising and marketing legal issues, including digital marketing and social media matters, and packaging and labelling matters.
She is described by clients as someone who "understands their business and offers excellent practical, business-oriented advice" and provides "top-notch, business-oriented solutions."
Ms. Williams is a member of the firm's Canadian and global management committees.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- Alberta 2009
- Canada (trademarks) 2010
- United States (trademarks) 2011
Ms. Williams has recently acted as counsel to the following clients:
Solium Capital Inc. on its sale to Morgan Stanley by way of a plan of arrangement for a transaction value of $1.1 billion
Energizer Corporation in its acquisition of Spectrum Brands' global battery and portable lighting business for $2 billion, adding brands such as Rayovac and Varta to its lineup
Calgary Co-operative Association Limited's acquisition of Community Natural Foods
Equicapita Income Trust and Equicapita Investment Corp. in respect of its acquisition of Smitty's Canada
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Intellectual Property Law, 2019-2023; Advertising and Marketing Law, 2020-2023
- The Legal 500 Canada: Intellectual Property (Leading Lawyer), 2023
- World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000: Recommended: Transactions, 2016-2023
- Lexpert – Leading Lawyers to Watch (Intellectual Property) 2017
- "Examining different forms of protection for personality rights," Managing IP, September 2018.
- "Supreme Court of Canada confirms test for obtaining Norwich orders in context of Copyright Act," September 2018.
- "Canadian patent and trademark agents acquire privilege," Brand Protection blog, July 2016.
- "Legal issues affecting technology companies in the energy industry," video series , February 2015.
- "File early and watch closely as Canada's IP rules change," Canadian Lawyer , April 2015.
- "Be careful what you claim! A case to watch on false and misleading advertising," November 2010.
- "What is an Environmental Claim?" June 2008.
- "The Fundamentals of Sponsorship Agreements," Western Sponsorship Congress, November, 2018.
- "Managing Legal Risks," Business Transitions Forum Workshop, October, 2018.
- "Ambush Marketing and Social Media," INTA Annual General Meeting Roundtable, May 2017.
- "There's Not an App for That," Brand Plus Seminar, August 2011.
- "Optimizing Use of Trademarks and Copyright Protected Material in Your Marketing Campaign," Advertising & Marketing Law Conference, Canadian Institute, January 2009.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- International Trademark Association - committee member: Non-Traditional Trademarks Committee (past member), Amicus Committee (past member), Rights of Publicity (current member)
- Canadian Council on International Law
Firm wins three gold awards at 2022 Canadian Law Awards
May 20, 2022
Trademark practice recognized in WTR 1000 2022
March 04, 2022
Enthusiast Gaming advised in creating North America's largest gaming platform
September 14, 2020
Disputed: Trade secrets and protecting your IP | S2 EP6
Podcast | May 04, 2022
Staying ahead of the curve
Webinar | May 17, 2022
Empowered Women: A conversation with the Honourable Senator Salma Ataullahjan
Webinar | March 3, 2022