Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Lucy L'Hirondelle is a litigator whose practice encompasses a broad range of commercial litigation matters and international arbitration with an emphasis on oil and gas litigation/arbitration, contractual disputes, management-side employment litigation. She also has experience conducting third-party investigations.
Lucy has worked in the Calgary litigation group since 2012 and has appeared before all levels of court in Alberta, the Nova Scotia Supreme Court, and is familiar with Federal Court procedures through her work on files that went before the Federal Court of Canada.
Lucy is the national chair of the firm's PRIDE Network and has been involved in the network since 2013.
- Alberta 2013
Ms. L'Hirondelle has acted for clients in the following matters:
- Counsel in a confidential international arbitration involving a supply chain dispute
- Counsel for a developer and producer of oil and gas and a leading Canadian petroleum company in defence against a multimillion dollar claim for alleged violation of seismic data agreements and licences
- Counsel for an energy company in an international arbitration under the ICC rules concerning operations in the host state and an audit dispute over multi-millions of dollars spanning multiple years
- Counsel for an oil and gas company in a dispute regarding post-financing obligations
- Counsel for a Canadian oil and natural gas producer in defending against a claim for over $20 million for breach of a change of control provision resulting from an internal restructuring
- Counsel for a metal recycling company in defending against a shareholder oppression claim
- Advising a global Malaysian energy group regarding its obligations and options as an operator related gas supply and pipeline use
- Counsel for an oil and natural gas exploration and production company operating in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago in an employment dispute involving allegations of wrongful termination and retaliation
- Conducted various workplace investigations for management in response to allegations of discrimination or harassment
- Counsel for a leading global risk management and insurance brokerage in employment litigation regarding allegations employees' breach of restrictive covenants owed to their former employer
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2024
- Dean's List Dalhousie University, Schulich School of Law, 2009-2012
- Robert E. Bamford Memorial Prize, 2012: Awarded for academic excellence and commitment to the law school community
- R.A. Smith Prize in Advocacy, 2012: Awarded for first place combined standing in Civil Procedure and Oral Advocacy
- McInnes Cooper Internet and Media Law Prize, 2012: Awarded for first-place standing in Internet and Media Law
- Allistair Fraser Scholarship, 2011: Awarded for academic excellence
- McCarthy Tétrault Leadership Award, 2010: Awarded for academic excellence, exhibiting leadership and involvement in extracurricular activities
- Borden Ladner Gervais Professional Excellence Award, 2010
- "Essentials of an Arbitration Agreement," Legal Industry Reviews, 2nd ed., 2023.
- "Recent Judicial Decisions of Interest to Energy Lawyers," Canada Energy Law Foundation, 2019.
Ms. L'Hirondelle has presented at the following panels:
- Chartered Professionals in Human Resources on Ambiguous Absences, May 2023
- SAIT Leadership Summit to discuss DEI, 2018
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Calgary representative for the National LGBTA Committee
- Amicus curiae at Alberta Court of Queen's Bench