Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Liesel is a dispute resolution and healthcare litigation lawyer based in Johannesburg. She specialises in general insurance law and litigation including with a specific interest in personal injury law and the specialised field of medical malpractice, healthcare services, medical devices, telemedicine, clinical trials, administrative law and municipal liability litigation as well as product liability. Liesel is involved in the Eastern Cape Department of Health Project in representing the State in medical malpractice matters and assisting the Department to defend the matters that the Department has been inundated with in recent years. As part of the project Liesel is also involved in skills transfer to the state attorneys, counsel and hospitals in the Eastern Cape.
Liesel’s experience in the field of medical malpractice started at the early age of 17 years when she spent four weeks working in the General Ward of a Public Hospital as student nurse during school break.
During her studies at the University of Pretoria she was privileged to receive training in Medical law from the late Prof Ferdie van Oosten (author of “The Doctrine of Informed Consent”) as well as training in Forensic medicine from Prof JD Loubser (Co- author of The ABC of Medical Forensics).
After obtaining her BLC (cum laude), LLB degrees from the University of Pretoria, Liesel joined Norton Rose Fulbright (formerly Deneys Reitz Inc) as candidate attorney in January 1999. She completed her articles, gaining experience in various teams within the practice and was admitted as an attorney of the High Court in 2001.
Following her articles, and given her keen interest in medical law she accepted a position as associate in the litigation department where she was able to further develop her skills as litigator with a special interest in medical law and personal injury.
Liesel became a director of the firm in January 2004.
Liesel regularly represents major Hospital groups, Healthcare professionals as well as insurance companies in various aspects of healthcare including medical malpractice litigation; regulatory and licensing and representation at professional conduct inquiries and inquests.
Liesel’s experience in medical malpractice litigation also enhances her representation of clients in defending personal injury claims.
Liesel also represents one of the major municipalities in South Africa in defending claims instituted against the municipality and their insurers.
Liesel regularly present talks on general liability and medical malpractice and also provide client training on a wide range of topics.
BLC (cum laude); LLB - University of Pretoria
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa 2001
- Liesel regularly represent and advise insurers and major Hospital groups on the following:
- Various high value medical malpractice claims including actions pertaining to Cerebral Palsy, Retinopathy of Prematurity and neurological injury claims ;
- Curbing costs in variety of medical malpractice claims;
- Hospital Licensing and regulatory issues such as pharmacies;
- Judicial inquests including experience relating to anesthetics related deaths
- Liesel has represented a variety of medical specialists in medical malpractice litigation as well as disciplinary inquiries and also provide regulatory advise relating to practice development and compliance.