Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Dr Marco Niehaus, LL.M. (Cambridge), LL.M. Eur. is a corporate, M&A and securities lawyer and partner, with a particular focus on the areas of restructuring, insolvency and distressed M&A.
For more than a decade Marco has advised on complex domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, private equity investments (sell-side and buy-side) and real estate deals. Besides transactional work, Marco provides legal advice, inter alia in the areas of corporate law; joint ventures, industry-specific distribution and contract law and corporate governance/compliance, as well as providing strategic legal advice to decision makers at times of corporate-political and market-specific restructurings.
According to recent surveys, Marco belongs to Germany's most renowned M&A lawyers and is also ranked as one of Germany's most renowned corporate lawyers (WirtschaftsWoche - Top Lawyer M&A and TOP Lawyer Corporate Law). The Legal 500 recommends Marco as being an "outstanding M&A lawyer who always achieves optimal results for his clients by applying trusted skills, sure instincts and an incredible portfolio of ideas". Marco further ranks as "an outstanding M&A expert" and "a very experienced advisor for complex deals". Besides general advice on mid- and large-cap deals Marco now also ranks in the category of Life Sciences and Healthcare (Issue 2020).
His clients include strategic and institutional investors, as well as numerous listed companies, inter alia in the areas of production, life sciences and new tech. Marco advises the leading insurers in underwriting matters for complex M&A deals. He maintains an active China business and advises various Chinese clients across different industries.
Marco is a regular author for leading law publications and the business press. He recently dealt with strategic CEO structures at German limited companies (Betriebs-Berater 2020, p. 711 et seqq.). Marco maintains close contact with academia and is a lecturer in corporate law and M&A. Marco is a member of the board of trustees (Kuratorium) of the EBS Law School in Wiesbaden/Germany.
Marco was admitted to practise law as a German lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) in 2008. Prior to joining us, Marco worked with leading national and international law firms for several years.
- Doctor Juris (Dr. iur.), Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, 2010
- Master of Law (LL.M.), University of Cambridge (DAAD Scholar), 2009
- 2nd State Exam, Regional Court of Frankfurt am Main, 2008
- Magister Legum of European and International Business Law (LL.M. Eur.), Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, 2005
- 1st State Exam, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, 2004
- Diploma of Higher Education in Common Law, University of East Anglia, 2001
- Law studies at Universities of Marburg/Lahn, Frankfurt am Main, East Anglia and Cambridge
- Attorney at law 2008
- a leading private equity fund on a US$2.38bn takeover of a global producer and distributor of pharmaceutical capsules
- a leading private equity fund on a 45 percent share in a leading optics and camera manufacturer and a €700m takeover of a supplier of functional and outdoor equipment
- a leading private equity fund on a large-volume investment in a global supplier of security systems
- one of the worlds-largest oil production companies on a €2.75bn investment in a joint venture for synthetic rubber products
- an insurance company on underwriting large-volume warranty and indemnity insurances
- a leading pharmaceutical company on establishing a joint venture for mobile environmental exposure chambers
- a leading pharmaceutical logistics company on its disposal to a leading private equity fund
- a leading medical cannabis and hemp company on a US$226m acquisition of a medical cannabinoid company
- a DAX 30 company on a US$1.4bn sale of its wireless solutions business unit to a leading US semi-conductor manufacturer
- a listed company on the takeover of a leading manufacturer of battery systems
- one of the worlds-largest sellers of Mercedes-Benz vehicles on the development of its German business, e.g. advised on the takeover of the east German distribution network for Mercedes-Benz vehicles
- an automotive supplier on the strategic acquisition of a voice control company, a speakers company and a majority participation in a global supplier for vehicle air conditioning and engine cooling
- a leading food distributor on the takeover of a distribution and logistics network
- a global industrial company on the acquisition of a leading manufacturer of marine technology components
- numerous high-volume real estate transactions of strategic and institutional investors.
*includes advice on matters prior to joining the firm
- Shortlisted among Germany's "most renowned M&A lawyers" and "best corporate lawyers" Germany, WirtschaftsWoche 2019
- The Legal 500 (issues 2019 and 2020) ranks Marco as recommended advisor in the categories of M&A and corporate law. Particular mentions were achieved in the areas of corporate law, mid- and large-CAP transactions (including particular client quotes) as well as life sciences and healthcare.
- Der Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in der deutschen GmbH?, Betriebs-Berater 2020, p. 711 et seqq.
- Der Ausgleich der Parteiinteressen bei Konkurrenzklauseln nach deutschem und englischem Recht, Schriften zum Wirtschaftsrecht, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, 2014
- Umwandlung notleidender Darlehensforderungen in Eigenkapital unter Einsatz von Zweckgesellschaften, M&A Review 2009, p.538 et seqq.
- Auswirkungen der Subprime-Krise auf die Finanzierung öffentlicher Übernahmeangebote: Renaissance sekundärer Finanzierungsinstrumente?, M&A Review 2008, p.457 eet seqq.
- Trennung vom GmbH-Geschäftsführer nach einem Share Deal, M&A Review 2007, p. 503 et seqq.
- Lecture on joint ventures in the pharmaceutical industry, Deutsche Life Sciences and Healthcare Academy, June 1, 2017
- German-British Lawyers' Association (DBJV)
- British Chamber of Commerce in Germany (BCCG)
- Germany-British Society Rhein Main (DBG Rhein Main)
- American Chamber of Commerce in Germany e.V. (AmCham Germany)
- Corporate Law Association (VGR)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Board of Trustees (Kuratorium) of EBS Law School, Wiesbaden, Germany