Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Matt is the Vancouver local chair of our business law group. Matt Mulligan’s practice is focused on infrastructure and construction projects. Areas in which he has extensive experience include:
- procurement - drafting procurement documents and advising owners and bidders on all aspects of tender and RFP processes, including the structuring of procurements, drafting of procurement documents, evaluation of bids or proposals and negotiation of commercial agreements.
- engineering and construction contracts - drafting and negotiating all types of engineering and construction contracts across the full range of project delivery models, including public-private partnerships, design-build, construction management and traditional design-bid-build and for all types of projects including transportation, healthcare, accommodation, commercial and industrial projects. Also advises clients in the marine industry on ship building, refit and repair contracts.
LL.B., University of Victoria, 2001
B.Sc. (Hons.), Queen’s University, 1998
- British Columbia 2003
Mr. Mulligan has acted in the following matters:
- Lions Gate Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant Project
- Vancouver Shipyards Modernization Project
- Saskatchewan Hospital North Battleford-Integrated Corrections Facility
- RCMP E Division Headquarters Project
- North Island Hospitals Project
- Swift Current Long-Term Care Centre
- Fraser River Pile and Dredge’s long-term contract for dredging the Fraser River
- City of Richmond – various capital projects, including Richmond Oval
- Prince Rupert Port Authority’s Road, Rail and Utility Corridor Project
- BC Cancer Agency’s Centre for the North
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Project Finance Law, 2014-2023; Public Procurement Law, 2016-2024; Construction Law, 2017-2024
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Projects - PPP & Infrastructure, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2024
- Chambers Global, Canada: Projects - PPP & Infrastructure, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2018, 2021-2023
- Legal 500 Canada: Recommended lawyer in the area of Infrastructure and Projects (2015)
- Lexpert Rising Stars - Leading Lawyers Under 40 (2012)
Mr. Mulligan speaks regularly on topics including tender/RFP law, construction contracts and public-private partnerships. Some of his recent presentations include:
- "An Ounce of Prevention - Risk Management in Innovative Procurement," Conference Board of Canada, May 2017.
- "Tender and RFP Law," client seminar, March 2017.
- "Professional Service Contracts," Pacific Business & Law Institute Construction Contracts: Beyond Standard Terms, November 2015.
- "Procurement Law: An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure," Client Spotlight, January 2015.
- "Tenders, RFPs and Hybrid Procurement," Tendering Law CLE, October 2014.
- “Tender and RFP Law: Recent Trends and Developments,” October 2013.
- “Design-Bid-Build and Design-Build: A Comparison of Project Delivery Methods,” September 2013.
- "BC P3 Project Agreement Tips and Traps," April 2012.
- "Reviewing a Construction Contract,” November 2011.
- “Construction Contracts: Building the Foundation for a Successful Project,” October 2011.
- BC Construction Roundtable
- Canadian Bar Association - Construction Law Section, BC branch
- Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association