Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Taryn Mackie advises clients on all aspects of workplace law in unionized and non-unionized environments, including on collective bargaining, labour relations, human rights, workers' compensation, disability management and workplace accommodations, wrongful dismissals, unjust dismissals, and employment standards.
Ms. Mackie regularly prepares and advises upon employment agreements and workplace policies, including executive employment agreements, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, confidentiality agreements, privacy policies, harassment policies, and attendance policies. She assists clients with, and has conducted on behalf of clients, a variety of workplace-related investigations, including disciplinary investigations and harassment investigations.
Ms. Mackie has appeared before, among other courts and tribunals, the Labour Relations Board, Employment Standards Branch and Tribunal, Human Rights Tribunal, British Columbia Supreme Court, British Columbia Court of Appeal, Federal Court, Federal Court of Appeal, WorkSafeBC, and the Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal on a variety of matters.
Ms. Mackie is currently the Vancouver chair of our employment and labour law practice group.
LL.B., University of Victoria, 2005
B.A., University of Victoria, 2001
- British Columbia 2006
- Yukon 2021
- Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Employment and Labour, Chambers and Partners, 2018-2021
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Labour and Employment Law, 2021
- "Employment Standards in British Columbia: Annotated Legislation and Commentary" (current authors: Taryn Mackie, Andrew Schafer), Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
- "Check-In For A Check-Up – An Employer's Duty To Make Inquiries," Mondaq.com, October 24, 2019
- "It Takes Two To Tango: Employee Duties In The Accommodation Process," Mondaq.com, July 2, 2018
- "DIY Management: 5 Dos and Don'ts of using social media in the office," BC Business Magazine, February 24, 2015
Ms. Mackie has delivered over 70 training seminars and courses over the past seven years on various workplace matters to human resources professionals, lawyers, in-house counsel for clients, and various professional organizations including the Chartered Professionals in Human Resources British Columbia & Yukon, the association of Engineers and Geoscientists BC, and the HR Tech Group. Recent engagements include:
- Presenter, "Effective Workplace Investigations" at the Labour Relations Roundtable for CPHR BC, January 20, 2021
- Co-panelist, 15th Annual Conference of the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers, Charlottetown, PEI, September 2018
- Keynote speaker, Skate Canada's 2017 Annual General Meeting of Members
- Canadian Bar Association
- Chartered Professionals in Human Resources BC & Yukon
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employer