James Goulden, Q.C.
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
James Goulden, Q.C.vCard
Related services and key industries
James Goulden is a senior member of our litigation team. His practice is focused on trial and arbitration work in commercial and administrative disputes. James is also a member of our special situations team that deals with public company disputes, such as proxy fights and takeover bids.
Mr. Goulden has appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia, as well as the Federal Court and various administrative tribunals. He has acted as counsel in a broad range of commercial cases involving breaches of commercial agreements, securities litigation, shareholder disputes, proxy fights involving public companies, competition matters, real estate developments, injunctions and insurance defence. He has acted for, among others, Overwaitea Food Group, Korean Air, Cineplex Entertainment, Eco Oro Minerals Corp., British Pacific Properties and Qtrade Investor. Mr. Goulden has advised numerous boards, as well as individual directors and officers, concerning their obligations and potential liabilities.
Mr. Goulden has acted for many local governments and health authorities, including Metro Vancouver, Township of Langley, Fraser Health Authority and Vancouver Coastal Health Authority. He has been counsel in all types of government disputes, including judicial review challenges, bylaw enforcement, defamation and bad-faith claims against government officials, negligence allegations, expropriations and Charter of Rights and Freedoms cases.
Since 2005, Mr. Goulden has been an adjunct professor at the University of British Columbia Allard School of Law, teaching civil litigation and procedure. He has also regularly presented at CLE and other continuing education programs, for both lawyers and non-lawyers. He is co-author of the book “Procedural Strategies for Litigators in British Columbia.”
LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1992
B.Comm., University of Calgary, 1989
- British Columbia 1993
Matters in which Mr. Goulden has acted include:
- Harrington Global Opportunities Fund Ltd. v. Eco Oro Minerals Corp., 2017 BCSC 664, 2017 BCSC 669 and 2017 BCSC 224
- Emtwo Properties Inc. v. Cineplex (Western Canada) Inc., 2011 BCSC 1072
- M.C.A. Land Development Corp. v. British Columbia (Transportation and Infrastructure), 2013 BCSC 1625
- Burquitlam Care Society v. Fraser Health Authority, 2015 BCSC 1343
- Kazemi v. North Vancouver (City), 2016 BCSC 1240, Vancouver Doc. S137878
- ABOP LLC v. Qtrade Canada Inc., 2007 BCCA 290, Vancouver Doc. CA034218
- Lotte Enterprises v. Private Post-Secondary Education Commission of British Columbia, 2001 BCSC 1613, Vancouver Doc. L003419 (BCSC)
- Holdom v British Columbia Transit, 2006 BCCA 282, Vancouver Doc. CA032836
- Domtar v. H.M.T.Q ( British Columbia), 2007 BCCA 49, Vancouver Doc. CA033714
- Ocean Pacific Hotels Ltd. v. Tokyu Canada Corporation, 2005 BCSC 929, Vancouver Doc. L051195
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2016-2021
- Appointed Queen's Counsel, 2019
- Canadian Bar Association
- British Columbia Expropriation Association
- Canadian Bar Association - Civil Litigation and Municipal Law Sections, BC Branch