Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Intellectual property
- IP enforcement
- Trademarks and brands
- Life sciences and pharmaceuticals
- Copyright law
Sarah Pennington is a litigation lawyer with a broad and growing intellectual property practice. Sarah advises clients across a range of industries, including those in the pharmaceutical, life sciences, technology, food and beverage, fashion, healthcare, and consumer product sectors. Sarah's practice touches on all facets of IP, including patents, copyright, and domain name disputes, with a particular focus on trademarks and regulatory advice.
In her litigation practice, Sarah provides strategic advice and representation to businesses and individuals faced with litigation or potential litigation. Sarah has acted for clients in patent, trademark, and copyright disputes before the Federal Court.
In her trademarks practice, Sarah advises clients on all aspects of trademark prosecution, protection, and enforcement, including assisting clients in securing trademark protection domestically and internationally, advising on the exploitation and infringement of trademarks, and collaborating with local counsel in foreign jurisdictions to secure and protect clients' rights abroad.
Sarah also provides regulatory counsel to companies regulated by Health Canada, including drug manufacturers. More particularly, Sarah helps clients navigate the regulatory landscape implemented by the Food and Drugs Act, the Food and Drug Regulations, and other legislation, associated regulations, and guidance overseen by Health Canada and other provincial regulators. Sarah also has experience advising on advertising matters and access to information requests for pharmaceutical companies.
Sarah joined our Toronto office as a summer student in 2017 and returned to article with us in 2018-2019. During law school, Sarah developed practical advocacy skills working as a summer student for a leading civil litigation and insurance law firm.
Sarah is actively involved with the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada as a committee member.
- Ontario 2019
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Ones to Watch: Intellectual Property Law, 2024
- Pharma in Brief - FCA upholds patent validity, rejects argument that a soundly predicted invention must be obvious, January 2022
- The Brand Protection Blog - Trick-or-Treat Trademarks, October 2021
- The Brand Protection Blog - Combatting Online Copyright Infringement, October 2021
- Pharma in Brief - Health Canada's proposed amendments to the Food and Drug Regulations and the Medical Devices Regulations, August 2021
- Pharma in Brief - Certain COVID-19 medical devices no longer hold urgent public health need status under Interim Order No. 2, July 2021
- The Brand Protection Blog - Amazon's 2020 Brand Protection Report - What Brand Owners Need to Know, May 2021
- The Brand Protection Blog - Canadian Trademarks Office Takes Steps to Address Backlog, May 2021
- Pharma in Brief - Food and Drug Regulations amended: COVID-19 drugs and vaccines transitioned out of interim order framework, April 2021
- Pharma in Brief - Health Canada consults on proposed guidelines for the use of electronic media in prescription drug labelling, March 2021
- Pharma in Brief - Federal Court of Appeal upholds one of the last prohibition orders under the old PM(NOC) Regulations, March 2021
- Pharma in Brief - Divided success in PM(NOC) actions regarding glatiramer acetate, January 2021
- The Brand Protection Blog - Grey Goods and False Labels: Federal Court Grants Interlocutory Injunction in a Trademark Case, August 2020
- Ontario Bar Association
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
Publication | August 30, 2023
Publication | August 11, 2023