Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
- Litigation and disputes
- Insurance and reinsurance disputes
- International arbitration
- Product liability
- Professional negligence
Michelle George is a dispute resolution lawyer based in London.
Michelle has more than 30 years' experience handling complex and high value commercial disputes, including a wide range of product, industrial disease and professional liability claims.
Michelle represents clients in relation to court proceedings in the UK and overseas as well as arbitration proceedings (including LCIA, ICC and ICSID) in numerous jurisdictions, including the US and Bermuda. She advises on jurisdiction issues and the disputes often include an international element.
Michelle's clients are typically international insurance and reinsurance companies but she has also represented airlines, telecommunications, energy related and construction companies and private equity houses.
University of London, Bedford College, B.A., 1984
The College of Law (London UK), C.P.E., 1985
The College of Law (London UK), Law Society Finals, 1986
- England and Wales
Representing / advising:
- Various leading firms of solicitors - with respect to High Court litigation arising from professional liability claims relating to matters involving e.g. matrimonial and criminal proceedings as well as commercial/residential property related transactions.
- Insurers - with respect to various coverage related issues arising from professional liability policies, including an arbitration relating to notification
- A leading company in London - with respect to reinsurance issues arising from a wide range of High Court and arbitration proceedings involving claims arising from alleged exposure to asbestos, pollution and other health hazards in the US and the UK, including the well-known EL Trigger litigation relating to UK mesothelioma claims.
- A major insurer - in LCIA arbitration proceedings against a leading commodities trading company with respect to a trade credit finance insurance relating to coffee transactions in Brazil
- A leading insurer - in arbitration proceedings with respect to property related losses arising from civil unrest in Chile in 2019.
- Insurers and reinsurers - with respect to numerous business interruption and event cancellation claims arising from the Covid pandemic
- A leading European insurer - with respect to various Covid and non-Covid related complaints by policyholders
- An insurance company - with respect to arbitration proceedings arising from a patent related insurance claim by an Israeli pharmaceutical company.
- A leading US insurance company - in relation to an arbitration initiated by a leading US pharmaceutical company following settlement of approximately US$1bn of death and personal injury claims relating to a contraceptive drug.
- A major Swiss Insurance company - in relation to a Bermuda arbitration brought by a prominent US pharmaceutical company arising from settlements exceeding £1.2bn of numerous personal injury and death claims relating to a newly developed atypical antipsychotic drug.
Legal 500 (2022)
Michelle George is recognised as a leading individual by Legal 500
- "Michelle George and Mike George are excellent professional negligence lawyers. Experienced in defending high profile and heavyweight solicitor negligence claims."
- "Michelle George and Adrian Mecz are highly experienced insurance coverage lawyers who have always seen and dealt with it before"
- "Michelle George is an excellent insurance coverage lawyer who doesn't waste time with bad points or advice"
- "Michelle George - stellar"
Michelle is listed in Band 2 by Chambers
- "Michelle is calm, unflappable and analytical with good judgement."
- "[Michelle] is very thorough and client-focused."
- British Insurance Law Association (BILA)
- Association Internationale de Droit des Assurances (AIDA), Reinsurance Working Group
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS US)
- London Solicitors Litigation Association
- Law Society's Civil Litigation Section
- City of London Law Society