Norton Rose Fulbright (Asia) LLP
Ben Swift is a banking and finance lawyer based in Singapore. He specialises in the oil and gas industries.
Ben is an English-qualified lawyer with over 16 years' post-qualification experience in cross-border transactions and projects, including a number of in-house secondments. Ben has specialised knowledge of cross-border M&A and the oil and gas industries, in addition to LNG, offtake and supply agreements, power projects, project financing, commercial contracts and joint ventures.
Prior to joining the practice in October 2017, Ben worked for international law firms based in Beijing, Yangon, Singapore, London, Dubai and Qatar. His experience covered all legal aspects of the business ranging from cross-border acquisitions and disposals, upstream oil and gas, LNG, offtake and supply agreements, direct agreements, power projects, shareholder agreements and commercial contracts.
- Advising a confidential state-owned Chinese trading company on a number of long term LNG master sales agreements with international oil and gas companies
- Advising BP Singapore on long term supply and offtake agreements and related security arrangements in relation to the multi-billion dollar JAC refinery in Singapore
- Advising Merrill Lynch Commodities Limited on a long-term coal offtake agreement from a mining project in Indonesia
- Advising MagMinerals on a 12 year 1.2 million tons per year potash offtake and marketing agreement in relation to the Kouilou potash project in the Republic of Congo
- Advising Sinopec on the acquisition from Repsol of a Spanish holding company holding upstream interests in two blocks in Ecuador
- Advising RH Petrogas on the acquisition of upstream interests in two neighbouring blocks in the Salawati region in West Papua, Indonesia from Pearl Energy and Lundin Petroleum for an aggregate consideration in excess of US$ 75 million
- Advising ONGC Videsh Limited on its acquisition of a 25% interest (valued at US$750 million) in the GNPOC project in Sudan (comprising an operating company, upstream interests and pipeline and terminal assets) from Talisman Energy Inc
- Advising ONGC Videsh Limited on the acquisition of OMV's 25% interest in two oilfields in Sudan for approximately US$125 million
- Advising CNOOC Limited on its acquisition of a 12.5% interest in the BP-led Tangguh LNG project in West Papua, Indonesia
- Advising COOEC, a subsidiary of CNOOC, on the establishment with Fluor Corporation of a world-scale joint venture to develop, own and operate a fabrication facility in China focusing on EPC projects for the upstream oil and gas industry
- During a 2 year part-time secondment to the Singapore based subsidiary of Itochu Corporation, various matters including a long-term US$600 million crude oil off-take agreement, prepayment agreements, off-take agreements, charterparties, confidentiality agreements and general corporate matters, energy related projects and oil trading-related disputes, and producing and presenting legal training courses
- Advising AES on the financing of and amendments to project documents relating to a 360 MW power station in Bangladesh, including negotiating with the contractors and lenders to the project
- Advising Marubeni Europower (one of the leading IPP developers in the Middle East) during a twelve month secondment, on various matters including a swap transaction involving share interests in two different IWPPs in the Middle East and the preparation of bids for the Hassyan IPP in Dubai and the Az Zour North IWPP in Kuwait
- Advising PT West Point Terminal, a 95% owned subsidiary of Sinopec, on the development of an oil storage facility on Batam Island, Indonesia, including advising on financing and shareholder issues, contract tendering and EPC-related issues
- Advising Shell, during a 3-month secondment, on the establishment of a multi-US$100 million downstream joint venture in Turkey