Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Ted Brook is a litigation lawyer with a focus on commercial, regulatory and environmental disputes. Ted provides strategic advice and representation to businesses and individuals faced with litigation or potential litigation. He has experience conducting trials and appeals, and has appeared as counsel in the Ontario Court of Justice, the Ontario Small Claims Court, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Federal Court (Canada) and the Federal Court of Appeal (Canada). Ted has experience with high-stakes disputes and class action lawsuits.
Ted previously clerked for the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in Toronto, where he worked closely with trial judges on complex civil actions, multi-party commercial disputes and insolvency proceedings. He also assisted with a wide variety of administrative and public law matters before the Ontario Divisional Court, including judicial reviews and statutory appeals.
Ted won several academic awards in law school, including prizes for administrative law, constitutional law, legal theory, sentencing and imprisonment and best substantial term paper.
- Ontario 2015
Ted's recent representative experience includes:
- Contracts: representing various companies with contract litigation in the technology, machining, and health sectors
- Negligence: defending financial institutions and professionals against claims of negligence
- Environmental: defending and prosecuting environmental litigation for various companies
- Energy: representing a major electricity distribution company in negligence and breach of contract litigation
- Class Actions: opposing certification of a proposed class action against an Ontario aggregate company
- Technology: defending a global cybersecurity company in a proposed consumer protection class action
- Regulatory: representing applicants in Federal Court to oppose the release of confidential information under Canada's Access to Information Act
- Quasi-Criminal: defending companies in the food and restaurant industry against prosecutions under Ontario's Provincial Offences Act
- Public Sector: prosecuting an application for judicial review in Ontario Superior Court on behalf of industry stakeholders
- Real Property: advising and representing commercial tenants and landlords in various lease disputes under Ontario's Commercial Tenancies Act
Canadian Bar Association
Ontario Bar Association
The Law Society of Upper Canada
The Advocates' Society
Kensington-Bellwoods Community Legal Clinic (Board of Directors)
Uncommon commonality: Supreme Court of Canada rules on key price-fixing class actions issues, including the certification of loss as a “common” issue
Publication | September 24, 2019